Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I love garlic butter but can't justify the price. My understanding butter is simply heavy cream shaken. I am thinking about trying to make my own garlic butter. Anyone else made things like butter, yogurt, cheese, etc?

It's easier and quicker if you use your food processor, you will be shaking that cream for a very long time if you don't.

Go online and do a search for making butter, there are several steps you should follow, it isn't just whip it up and use it then stick it in the fridge.
It needs to be squeezed after it is made more than once to get all of the liquid out of it or it will go rancid within a very short period of time.

If you currently have butter in the house all you need to do is get a container of garlic powder and mix it in your butter, then you have garlic butter.
You could also purchase "Garlic Bread Sprinkle" in the spice aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM

61,909 posts, read 87,428,807 times
I used to make my own butter, but the milk got so expensive that the product is not really worth the effort.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,332,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I love garlic butter but can't justify the price. My understanding butter is simply heavy cream shaken. I am thinking about trying to make my own garlic butter. Anyone else made things like butter, yogurt, cheese, etc?
My initial reaction is "yes, every time I am whipping cream."

My friends make all their dairy products - cheese, yogurt, butter. However, that is because they have access to thousand of pounds of milk. If you are just making enough for personal consumption, it is nearly always cheaper to purchase all those products.

If I was making garlic butter, I would blenderize fresh garlic into a pulp and strain it to get all moisture out. I would whip unsalted butter and once whipped, add te garlic.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
Making butter is not cost effective but it does make a delicious and extra special butter.

The OP asked about making yogurt and cheese too. I've made both and both are easy (soft cheeses). With the yogurt, it's really about the same cost, but you know exactly what's in it and it tastes as good or better than store bought yogurt. And you can use that plain yogurt instead of sour cream on lots of things (baked potatoes are my favorite). You can use a yogurt maker - I finally got one myself - but you don't have to use one. It's super easy to make but a bit easier to make in the yogurt maker. Anyway, soft cheeses are easy to make too - and whey is fantastic for your pets (my dogs and cat LOVE it and it's really good for their coats).

Anyway, OP if you're interested I can give you more details.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,791,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It's easier and quicker if you use your food processor, you will be shaking that cream for a very long time if you don't.

Go online and do a search for making butter, there are several steps you should follow, it isn't just whip it up and use it then stick it in the fridge.
It needs to be squeezed after it is made more than once to get all of the liquid out of it or it will go rancid within a very short period of time.

If you currently have butter in the house all you need to do is get a container of garlic powder and mix it in your butter, then you have garlic butter.
You could also purchase "Garlic Bread Sprinkle" in the spice aisle.
That is true, when I have made flavored butters, it has always been for a specific meal or food item. It is not something I keep around after we are done.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,759,249 times
If any of you can get your hands on fresh heavy cream for butter making it will almost make you never want to buy store butter again. Organic, homogenized if you don't know a friend that owns a milking cow.
Oh don't get the ultra pasteurized stuff.

Meh, haven't made it since the 1990's.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,398,603 times
Butter...yes, a couple of times, but not cost-effective for a suburbanite without access to a dairy cow.

Cheese...no

Yogurt...yes, all the time, and it's easy.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:53 PM

61,909 posts, read 87,428,807 times
Default Homemade butter

Homemade butter taste so much better than the one you buy at the store, even those fancy imported from overseas and is cheaper too. Here is a recipe for European style CULTURED butter, but if you don't care for it, and want sweet cream butter just skip the part about adding the buttermilk and curing it on the kitchen counter. Now is the time to surprise your family with this great, creamy bread spread or super tasty pastries or cakes - so make some in advance to be ready for Christmas.
(Curious about different kinds of butter? - please read my post here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/56595143-post2.html )

You could make your own butter that will for sure taste superior to what you get in the store. I sometimes do that - it takes 15 min of shaking a jar in front of TV. ( I also make tasty farmers/quark cheese - just ask me how... lol)
You barely notice the work. Rinsing it is a bit more labor-intensive, but the result will be well worth it.

To make a great butter you need farm-fresh grass-feed heavy cream (from co-op store, farmers market or such. The stuff you see at your grocery store won't produce anything tasty). The better the cream the better the butter. If you have access to organic, NOT ultra-pasteurized double cream, all the better. It feels expensive, but still will be way cheaper than the same quality imported butter from a specialty store.
One quart of cream makes about one pound butter, although it depends on how heavy the cream is.

For 2 lb butter (why make a small batch - its the same work, so make more) you will need 2 quarts of cream, 1 cup of buttermilk, a food processor or twist-off jar, water, and ice cubes.

So, two quarts of the best heavy cream you can find and a cup of organic buttermilk - pour it into a bowl, stir, cover with a kitchen towel and let it sit on the kitchen counter till it "feels" solid. (when you stir it if feels like a thick gravy). Probably 24-36 hrs. It should have a pleasant, barely sour aroma. I said kitchen counter - do NOT place it in the fridge!

Now you have two ways to churn (make it clump).
Method 1. You can use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, or a food processor with the metal blade. Remember to put on a cover to avoid splashes. Let it run till thick clumps will form (maybe 3-5 min).
When you have a bowl of whey with a big blob(s) of butter, you're almost done.
SAVE the whey!! You can drink it (its tasty buttermilk!!) or use it for baking when the recipe calls for buttermilk.

Method 2. If you don't have anything that would do the work for you (husband or your kids count too ), then do it manually.
Find a twist-off jar that will fit the amount of the thickened cream - it should be about 2/3 full, you need the empty space to shake. Or use a smaller jar and divide the cream into two batches, close, and go watch a movie. While at it, shake the jar. First, you will feel nothing but after some 10min or so, you will start to hear clumps. Keep shaking till you see that the whey gets separated from the clumps.

Use a mesh sieve, and fish out all the clumps from the whey. Put the whey aside, and form your butter into one big ball after dropping them into ice water.

Now comes the fun play with the food. You'll need to "wash" the butter!
This simply means kneading the butter in ice water. The ice water begins to solidify the butterfat, forcing out any remaining whey, which will allow the butter to become very firm without whey weeping out. Remember - you want as little as possible moisture in your butter by pressing it out from the fat clump.
So, pour some water into a bowl, add ice and start kneading it like bread dough (or Play-Doh)
First water will be milky-cloudy. Replace it with clean ice water again. Kneed more. Replace ice water again, and again till you get fairly clear water. Probably 4-5 times.

Now is the time to salt if you wish. I wouldn't, but that's just me. Knead in a few pinches. Form and wrap your butter in any shape you wish. You can keep a part of it in the fridge and freeze the rest. Wrap in saran and aluminum foil, then place in a freezer zip-lock bag.

Buy freshly baked baguette (or any bread of your choice) and enjoy your own, homemade butter with it. So delicious!!! Taste even better with home-baked bread!

Report back and tell us how you liked it!

If you want, you can make flavored butter (before freezing). Add some honey, pumpkin&spices, lemon, or herbs, or fresh garlic paste.
Here are 30 flavors to choose from:
https://www.brit.co/flavored-butter/

You can spread that flavored butter on a cookie sheet, freeze it, then make pretty shapes using cookie cutters. Put the shaped butter into a jar or a bag. Best if separated with pieces of wax paper, so they don't stick together. Leave in the freezer. They look great on a steak.

Uff - a long post, and looks complicated, but isn't. Trust me. Any man can do it...

Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,413,791 times
Yes. I did it in grade school with only a jar, and in high school with a mixer.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,496,777 times
You can make whipped butter from Heavy Whipping Cream with a whisk, an electric whisk/mixer or blender would make it easier. You will have to drain off or strain out the buttermilk.

Just google "whipped cream into butter"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes