Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times

Advertisements

I do like asiago and will try it. Also locatelli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:55 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I do like asiago and will try it. Also locatelli.

My two favorite cheeses.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Nothing like homemade Alfredo!!! Homemade Alfredo on pizza...priceless

Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM

590 posts, read 1,013,260 times
Funny how the food of the poor in Italy is celebrated as a great dish in the USA. In Italy you can't even order Alfredo dishes in restaurants as most of people don't even know what it is.
Just for information as we are talking about this dish, the Alfredo sauce as we know it today is based on the very simple "spaghetti al burro" dish (spaghetti or other pasta with butter and parmesn cheese). Pasta al burro (if anyone here knows spanish don't get all excited, I know "burro" in spanish is a "donkey", but in Italian it means "butter") is the classic dish of the low income families especially a few decades ago.
Exported in the USA, this "Alfredo" thing evoluted and the recipe staretd to include parsley, garlic, heavy cream, even milk etc..
So, just remember if you take a trip to Italy that "pasta Alfredo" will only get you a stare by the waiter as this dish is as Italian as Olive Garden...

Old 08-31-2009, 04:53 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
It's Americanized Italian as are many dishes. I am beyond happy with butter and good parm.

Last night tho mine was awesome with fat free cream, butter,white pepper, dash nutmeg, lots on freshly grated parm and shrimp.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Funny how the food of the poor in Italy is celebrated as a great dish in the USA. In Italy you can't even order Alfredo dishes in restaurants as most of people don't even know what it is.
Just for information as we are talking about this dish, the Alfredo sauce as we know it today is based on the very simple "spaghetti al burro" dish (spaghetti or other pasta with butter and parmesn cheese). Pasta al burro (if anyone here knows spanish don't get all excited, I know "burro" in spanish is a "donkey", but in Italian it means "butter") is the classic dish of the low income families especially a few decades ago.
Exported in the USA, this "Alfredo" thing evoluted and the recipe staretd to include parsley, garlic, heavy cream, even milk etc..
So, just remember if you take a trip to Italy that "pasta Alfredo" will only get you a stare by the waiter as this dish is as Italian as Olive Garden...
The dish originated in a Roman restaurant and became popular with American tourists.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM

590 posts, read 1,013,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
The dish originated in a Roman restaurant and became popular with American tourists.
Yes I know but that was in 1913/1914. And Alfredo I think was trying to create something "less boring" for the pregnant wife.
My point is how this dish that has very simple and humble origins has changed into something more noble in the USA, with the addition of a few ingredients here and there.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Funny how the food of the poor in Italy is celebrated as a great dish in the USA.
I actually see more and more restaurants going away from the word "alfredo" and using "Parmesan cream sauce" instead.

In America we Americanize anything such as pizza and Chinese food.

FYI, Alfredo di Lelio, created what Fettuccine alfredo as a dish, and never referred to the sauce as "alfredo sauce". The sauce has been around for what, 100s of years? It only became popularized in america while in the 1920's two movie stars had their honeymoon in Rome and ate at Alfredo's restaurant...They got his recipe and had it made for there other movie star friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes