Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times

Advertisements

So I have several different kinds of pasta that I would like to use for pasta salads but I would like a good, tried and true recipe. Any good ideas here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

1 head of cauliflower, small bag of broccoli
½ lb. bacon
1 cup of miracle whip salad dressing
½ cup of sugar
½ cup of pasta (whatever you like)
2 or 3 tbls. of apple cider vinagar
1 cup of shredded cheese
½ cup of nuts any kind and or rasins
cut broccoli and cauliflower in bite size pieces, add bacon and cheese, nuts & raisins
mix salad dressing ,sugar and vinegar together, pour into
bowl and mix together with cauliflower and broccoli & pasta put in refrigerator about an hour before serving.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
I loved the boxed stuff called "Suddenly Salad", but I didn't like paying the price. So I found this --

Ranch & Bacon Pasta Salad - Copycat of Suddenly Salad
2 c. pasta shells -- dry (have also used rotini)
1 c. peas, frozen (or more)
2/3 c. Mayonnaise -- do not use Miracle Whip
1 pkg. bacon-onion ranch dip mix
1/4 c shredded carrot
1/4 c bacon -- cooked crisp & crumbled, or bacon bits (or more)
1/2 tsp. onion powder
Bring water to a rolling boil in a saucepan. Add shell pasta and carrot shreds, allow them to boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Quickly drain into a strainer and rinse under cold water. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the peas, the entire packet of ranch dressing mix, bacon bits, onion powder, and mayonnaise. Add pasta and carrots. Stir together until everything is coated with mayo seasoning mixture. Chill and serve.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:11 AM

Oh thanks. These both sound really good. I waited so long for a reply so I decided to just throw what all I had into a pasta salad. I wanted it for dinner last night so I had to get it made. I cooked the rotini for about 8 minutes. Then I took it out with slotted spoon so I could reuse the already hot water for some broccoli florets. Cooked the broccoli just a couple of min. I added a half a purple onion coursely chopped, red bell pepper coursely chopped and S&P to taste. Then I poured about half a bottle of Wishbone House Italian dressing over it and mixed. I was pretty happy with the results and it was so easy! Now I will have your recipes as well for the next time! Again, thanks!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
That's about what I do, Cyn. Just about whatever's in the fridge. I like to add some small chunks of cheese (Swiss is my favorite, but cheddar, muenster or jack goes well, too), some deli ham or pepperoni too. Oh, and grape tomatoes.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
I like a pasta salad that I make with tri-color rotini, lightly blanched and chilled asparagus tips, red onions, thinly sliced baby portobello mushrooms, halved grape tomatoes, fresh garlic, salt & pepper, and a tangy Italian dressing (or whatever dressing is preferred).

It's really good.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,034 times
This is my favorite pasta salad for summer since it doesn't have mayo, so no worry about spoiling quickly.

MOSTACCIOLI SALAD

1 pound size Mostaccioli - cooked as directed on box, drained and cooled
1 1/2 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 heaping Tablespoon yellow mustard
1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cucumber diced small
1 small onion diced small
2 celery ribs diced small
small amount of green pepper if desired (not over a couple of tablespoons so it doesn't overpower)
Couple of pinches of celery seed (can omit)
Pepper
Pimento can be added in small amount if you are a person who desires color in your salad, or green onions for color.

Mix everything except for the Mostaccioli and make sure the sugar is dissolved. I usually mix while waiting for the pasta to cook. Then add the Mostaccioli. Chill for a few hours. Make sure to stir or shake the covered dish about every 30 minutes to get the flavor through it all. I usually use a tupperware sealed bowl and just turn it upside down and back over again every other time.

If it appears to be too dry, mix a bit more vinegar, sugar, mustard and garlic and add. Make sure the vinegar and sugar are in equal parts.

Note: I have used Penne for this but don't like it as much as the pasta is too thick and doesn't absorb the dressing very well.

Last edited by doll lady; 08-18-2009 at 06:47 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
My favorite pasta salad

Shrimp pasta salad

I mix the cooked and cooled elbow macaroni with
cut up cooked shrimp - small or medium size - amt - as many as you like
about half cup of diced celery
diced radishes
pitted cut up black olives
fresh peas slightly blanched and cooled
for dressing
half cup mayo, half cup sour cream, and enough milk to make it the consistance you like

serve over lettuce

Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
That's about what I do, Cyn. Just about whatever's in the fridge. I like to add some small chunks of cheese (Swiss is my favorite, but cheddar, muenster or jack goes well, too), some deli ham or pepperoni too. Oh, and grape tomatoes.
I forgot that I also added some feta cheese. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I loved the boxed stuff called "Suddenly Salad", but I didn't like paying the price. So I found this --

Ranch & Bacon Pasta Salad - Copycat of Suddenly Salad
2 c. pasta shells -- dry (have also used rotini)
1 c. peas, frozen (or more)
2/3 c. Mayonnaise -- do not use Miracle Whip
1 pkg. bacon-onion ranch dip mix
1/4 c shredded carrot
1/4 c bacon -- cooked crisp & crumbled, or bacon bits (or more)
1/2 tsp. onion powder
Bring water to a rolling boil in a saucepan. Add shell pasta and carrot shreds, allow them to boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Quickly drain into a strainer and rinse under cold water. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the peas, the entire packet of ranch dressing mix, bacon bits, onion powder, and mayonnaise. Add pasta and carrots. Stir together until everything is coated with mayo seasoning mixture. Chill and serve.
I love this one too and every time I've made it for a get together, people go crazy over it!!! I have always just added additional dressing to it as it is a bit on the dry side after you've made it from the box.

THANKS for this recipe. I would love to make it fresher than what you get from the box... and to save money is great as well!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes