Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times

Advertisements

I came up with an idea for French toast that I'd never heard of, & since it turned out good I thought I'd post it here-

instead of frying it, bake it- use some non-stick spray (like Pam) on a cookie sheet... bake it between 10-15 minutes on each side

it would also be more convenient than frying for people who have larger families- you can get 6 slices done at a time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I tried that once but it didn't come out right for me. It's come out for other people, though, just not me.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I still don't understand why French toast is called French toast...
But your idea is good!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I still don't understand why French toast is called French toast...
But your idea is good!
I don't know why either

Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM

507 posts, read 2,297,348 times
Found this on google...."French toast" can be found in print in the US as early as 1871. The Oxford English Dictionary cites usages of "French toast" in English as early as 1660 (toasted bread with wine, orange juice, and sugar), and cites an egg-based recipe of the same name from 1882.According to the International House of Pancakes, French toast is not necessarily French in origin; it is likely that the recipe dates back to medieval times and may have been a logical “invention” by different peoples, akin to battering and frying any food. Supposedly it was originally known in England and America as "German toast", prior to the First World War, when it was changed because of anti-German sentiment.[1]In Scotland this could be called the Norma food of the Norma people from the contributions of the Greeks.A similar dish, suppe dorate, was popular in England during the Middle Ages, although the English might have learned it from the French Normans, who had a dish called tostees dorees.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
I have Baked French Toast every Christmas morning - it was a tremendous hit with my exchange students. You make it the night before. This recipe is very TNT - have been making it for about 20 years.

You can use this recipe, or adjust yours to bake. But always spray the top of the bread before baking no matter what recipe you use:
10 slices of your favorite bread
12 ounces evaporated milk **
4 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

**doesn't have to be evaporated milk. I've use regular, 2%, or even 1/2 cream 1/2 water.

Spray 9x13x2 baking pan with non-stick spray.
Arrange bread in pan.
Whisk together the rest of the ingredients and pour over bread.
Cover completely (no air) with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator.
Next morning - preheat oven to 350.
Remove saran wrap and spray the top of the bread with non-stick spray.
Bake 30-35 minutes.
No need at all to flip it, just let it bake.
The smell will get the worst sleepyhead out of bed

Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I have Baked French Toast every Christmas morning - it was a tremendous hit with my exchange students. You make it the night before. This recipe is very TNT - have been making it for about 20 years.

You can use this recipe, or adjust yours to bake. But always spray the top of the bread before baking no matter what recipe you use:
10 slices of your favorite bread
12 ounces evaporated milk **
4 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

**doesn't have to be evaporated milk. I've use regular, 2%, or even 1/2 cream 1/2 water.

Spray 9x13x2 baking pan with non-stick spray.
Arrange bread in pan.
Whisk together the rest of the ingredients and pour over bread.
Cover completely (no air) with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator.
Next morning - preheat oven to 350.
Remove saran wrap and spray the top of the bread with non-stick spray.
Bake 30-35 minutes.
No need at all to flip it, just let it bake.
The smell will get the worst sleepyhead out of bed
what does TNT mean?

I didn't claim inventing it, just said I'd never heard of it before... my recipe is a little different, but you're right it's good

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
TNT - Tried and True.

Sorry! Didn't mean to sound that way! Basically I wanted to point out that you don't have to flip the toast in the oven, and I went on and on and on and on

Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
TNT - Tried and True.

Sorry! Didn't mean to sound that way! Basically I wanted to point out that you don't have to flip the toast in the oven, and I went on and on and on and on
no prob... I'll try your recipe, too- I love brown sugar & cinnamon!!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM

218 posts, read 468,619 times
Default Ms. French Toast

If you like French Toast , you need to try the French toast casserole from Kraft.com. It is so good that I made it to take to aork and ended up eating the whole thing myself. I don't know how to get the link on your page. Sorry/ But you need to try it. You make it the night before so it can soak all night. Then Bake the next morning for about 45 minutes, esp good Christmas morning. Try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I came up with an idea for French toast that I'd never heard of, & since it turned out good I thought I'd post it here-

instead of frying it, bake it- use some non-stick spray (like Pam) on a cookie sheet... bake it between 10-15 minutes on each side

it would also be more convenient than frying for people who have larger families- you can get 6 slices done at a time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes