Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 PM

33 posts, read 89,521 times

Advertisements

I am in Michigan, craving some deep south beef enchiladas!! I made some from scratch tonight, from Recipezaar. (Even the corn tortillas were from scratch!) They tasted just like I used canned sauce. All that work for nothing. I miss those little hole-in-the-wall Mexican food restaurants in Texas. Does anyone have a good "restaurant style" recipe for beef enchiladas? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:35 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
Which recipe on Recipezaar did you use?

I got this recipe for enchilada sauce from a friend and really like it:

10 ounces tomato paste
1 medium onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups water
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Saute onion and garlic in oil and mix in tomato paste, simmer 3 minutes.

2. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes

I just use store bought corn tortillas, ground beef, lots of cheese and the above sauce.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 PM

33 posts, read 89,521 times
I used Garlic Beef Enchiladas - 18387 - Recipezaar

It is a good recipe, but I am spoiled by the really fattening restaurant kind.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,298 times
I use this recipe for my enchilada sauce and think it's absolutely delicious (it's easy too!)

Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce - All Recipes

Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
Just my preference, but I never use flour tortillas for enchiladas. That recipe looks a bit over the top to me. I don't use a recipe except for the sauce and they always turn out fine. I like to keep it simple.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,156,144 times
Here's a good sauce recipe. It's like what you get at a good Tex-Mex restaurant. It thankfully doesn't taste anything like the canned stuff.

Enchilada Gravy SauceLos Barrios Family Cookbook

Make 3 quarts

1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1/4 cup chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1 T garlic powder
1 1/2 T salt
1/4 t pepper
2 quarts water

Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is browned (this mixture is called a roux); be careful not to let the four burn. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and peper and cook,stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.

Gradually add the water, stirring until smooth. Cook, strring frequently , for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat and boil gently for 15 minutes.

Use this sauce for enchiladas stuffed with cheese, beef or chicken.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:45 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Just my preference, but I never use flour tortillas for enchiladas. That recipe looks a bit over the top to me. I don't use a recipe except for the sauce and they always turn out fine. I like to keep it simple.
Corn tortillas only for enchiladas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
Here's a good sauce recipe. It's like what you get at a good Tex-Mex restaurant. It thankfully doesn't taste anything like the canned stuff.

Enchilada Gravy SauceLos Barrios Family Cookbook

Make 3 quarts

1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1/4 cup chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1 T garlic powder
1 1/2 T salt
1/4 t pepper
2 quarts water

Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is browned (this mixture is called a roux); be careful not to let the four burn. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and peper and cook,stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.

Gradually add the water, stirring until smooth. Cook, strring frequently , for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat and boil gently for 15 minutes.

Use this sauce for enchiladas stuffed with cheese, beef or chicken.
I used this recipe last time i made enchiladas. I usually make my own and generally it's pretty good. My only trouble is I'm torn as to whether I'm making a sauce or chili. This recipe (Los Barrio's)is very bland and requires the flavor of the cheese and tortillas and possibly chili to complete. But maybe it was the secret.. tasted alone doesn't seem right. BtW, you'll never brown two fulls cups flour in 1 cup veg oil. I couldn't anyhow. It is a good basic recipe I suppose. I've been happier with some of my own results but never measure and never the same twice.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:12 AM

469 posts, read 1,156,144 times
That's why I added the jalapeño powder to it I did get it to brown but it takes a while to get it to that point and you must be careful not to burn it.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
That's why I added the jalapeño powder to it I did get it to brown but it takes a while to get it to that point and you must be careful not to burn it.
I think i reduced the recipe and it seemed like a lot of water. What I've always made was sort of a combo chili and sauce. Chili powder, cumin, garlic ,onion, tomato sauce etc... Los Barrios is certainly an outstanding restaurant. I saw the "Throw Down" on puff tacos with Bobby Flay. You always gotta wonder if these places share their full recipes with everyone. I've always been puzzled when out ordering enchiladas. The wife always asks about the cheese/beef choice???? Think we both want cheese only inside the enchiladas. She wants there to be chili with meat on top. I don't care if there's meat in it, long as it tastes good. I may have posted one of my enchilada sauce recipes (sort of) on here.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:18 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
I'm a purist when it comes to tortillas.

Corn are for enchiladas. If you use flour, you're making burritos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes