Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
... I am confident I'll never cheat because I have no desire to and because of my lack of desire for it, I have personal boundaries that I do not cross. . .
And that, is the key. And wise people put the boundaries in place before the water ever gets murky.

People may say they "never intended" to have an affair, but they make little decisions, one after another, ignore the little nagging voice in their head that says "Don't do this" or "This is wrooooooooooooong" and traipse their way into a mess. Affairs don't "happen to you" - you make them happen - through deliberate action or deliberate inaction and failure to pro-actively protect and deflect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
At the risk of making mortal enemies here I have to take another view. Cheating? So once you are with some one you can never again enjoy some one else? How selfish. How unnatural. Slaves with no opinions, no voice, no attractions to others anymore. In this world of political correctness crap and human rights, I don't believe in anyone being owned by another. I believe in total freedom. Marriage is not ownership. A girl/boy friend is not ownership. No human has exclusive rights to ownership to anyone. That is bullsheet.

Open relationships are not for everyone but they don't make those participating in it bad either. As previously noted in several posts, men are not wired to exist with just one partner. Some women are not either. Even in the animal kingdom the males are instinctively wired to have as many partners as they can. If you want to blame some one then blame your God for making man and woman incompatible but that's the way it is.

What I do not agree with is establishing a relationship with another and sneaking-seeking out other partners without telling. I still hesitate to call this cheating but it is wrong nevertheless.

Some one who says I own you and you are not allowed to do this and that is a slave driver as well as selfish. Can I use that curse word jealousy? Jealousy is a horrible disease. No marriage can survive it.

If most of us humans had better communication skills there would be almost zero divorce rates. If most of us humans never got bored of the same ol sexual partner there would be almost zero divorce rates. Since both of these scenarios do not exist then the need to seek multiple partners will always be a part of humanity.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
It's a nice fantasy to think that would be true, but it's a myth. It's a fact that those people who are most adamant that they'd never cheat are also the most likely to do so, because they lack the awareness and defenses to stop themselves in those spontaneous - often drunken - situations that often lead to cheating. If you love your spouse, you may be less likely to cheat repeatedly or deliberately.
Sorry, but that's a load of bull feces. Like many adults who have an ounce of maturity and self-actualization, I know myself well enough to be able to say what I would and would not do, and I would not cheat on someone I love.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Sorry, but that's a load of bull feces. Like many adults who have an ounce of maturity and self-actualization, I know myself well enough to be able to say what I would and would not do, and I would not cheat on someone I love.
Actually I agree with Tao. Probably because he is correct. Do you know anyone who has brass balls big enough to come on a public forum and be honest? Especially since their other half is probably standing behind them reading the screen? I didn't think so.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:31 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
At the risk of making mortal enemies here I have to take another view. Cheating? So once you are with some one you can never again enjoy some one else? How selfish. How unnatural. Slaves with no opinions, no voice, no attractions to others anymore. In this world of political correctness crap and human rights, I don't believe in anyone being owned by another. I believe in total freedom. Marriage is not ownership. A girl/boy friend is not ownership. No human has exclusive rights to ownership to anyone. That is bullsheet.

Open relationships are not for everyone but they don't make those participating in it bad either. As previously noted in several posts, men are not wired to exist with just one partner. Some women are not either. Even in the animal kingdom the males are instinctively wired to have as many partners as they can. If you want to blame some one then blame your God for making man and woman incompatible but that's the way it is.

What I do not agree with is establishing a relationship with another and sneaking-seeking out other partners without telling. I still hesitate to call this cheating but it is wrong nevertheless.

Some one who says I own you and you are not allowed to do this and that is a slave driver as well as selfish. Can I use that curse word jealousy? Jealousy is a horrible disease. No marriage can survive it.

If most of us humans had better communication skills there would be almost zero divorce rates. If most of us humans never got bored of the same ol sexual partner there would be almost zero divorce rates. Since both of these scenarios do not exist then the need to seek multiple partners will always be a part of humanity.
I always wondered about open relationships and if they would work for me, what is the number of men you would allow your wife or girlfriend to have beside you? A brigade, an infantry,a division, team, a band, or just two or three sexual out lets. I would expect at some point I have my number and one more would be too many guys for me to share her with.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:38 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,862 times
No I would never cheat on my boyfriend but expect the same from him. If he cheats, he's out. No second chances.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,844 times
In one word, yes. True.

If you love someone, and are in a monogamous relationship with them, then you dont cheat on them.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Actually I agree with Tao. Probably because he is correct. Do you know anyone who has brass balls big enough to come on a public forum and be honest? Especially since their other half is probably standing behind them reading the screen? I didn't think so.
I guess that's another crucial difference - my husband and I don't look over each other shoulders constantly, we actually trust each other. But you make a good point - relationships which lack trust are possibly more likely to result in an affair.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
Disagree!

Sorry, couldn't resist ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
This is a duh thread. Is anyone honestly going to disagree without being immediately smited?
No. It's easier to just not respond to the thread at all.

With the phrasing "if you truly love someone", then no, I personally can't see how it would be possible to cheat on one's SO.
But, many people, as has been stated already, have different ways of looking at "doing it" and intimacy etc. , and may not feel cheated on if the partner "does it" with someone else (and vice versa). If they can live like that without getting hurt or whatever, then to each his/her own.

I actually have to go to bed right now (working for the church sucks when it means having to work early on Sundays) so I don't have time to think any deeper about the subject. That's all from me, good night y'all!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
wise people put the boundaries in place before the water ever gets murky.
Yes, that's the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
People may say they "never intended" to have an affair, but they make little decisions, one after another, ignore the little nagging voice in their head that says "Don't do this" or "This is wrooooooooooooong" and traipse their way into a mess. Affairs don't "happen to you" - you make them happen - through deliberate action or deliberate inaction and failure to pro-actively protect and deflect.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships