Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
You would be amazed how many married people wish they were single
I know... which is why I think those people are not good at picking a partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Why not? I am not married, nor planning anytime soon, and I travel on vacations many times with a girl and other times on my own. Doesn’t have to be a girl I have a relationship with. Taking a girl on vacation with me, arranging to meet with someone in X country, or meeting a local all depend on how I am feeling. Then again, it does have a different twist if its someone you have a relationship with.
Well, that's precisely it. I'm going to be going on a trip to Japan soon-ish, and am actually somewhat glad I'll be alone, for somewhat nefarious reasons Also, I've been wanting to visit a ryokan and spend some time meditating... hike around Mt. Koya, maybe rent a performance car and do some of those infamous togue runs (Nippon Rental does a Subaru Legacy B4, you can also rent an MX-5 or RX8).

There's a good chance that any girl I'm with would be okay with sitting in the passenger's seat as I threw a car around through the turns, and maybe even with the hiking and meditating and all that... but then, there's an element to it that I'd like to do solo.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
The bad about single is the no sex. Its why sex should be readily available for all adults.
Sometimes it seems there is more sex being single and hooking upu with randome people. Not something I support but it happens. Ever heard of the year round headaches?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM

104 posts, read 99,608 times
Default In a complicated sitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's probably a post about this somewhere, but I'm not going to dig it up out of its grave. Figured I'd just make a new one.

Good point: You don't have to worry about drinking the last of anything, because there's no one to get mad at you for doing so.

Bad point: You make a package of cinnamon rolls--they really only taste good hot--but you can't eat the whole package at once.
Very true, for someone who is in a relationship, being single can be scary. Or at least going single...

-Michaela
p.s. you could read my thread on my situation, I could use all the advice I can get. It's not doin so well, only one reply.
the thread is called (I really need your help, please read) something like that,

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, that's precisely it. I'm going to be going on a trip to Japan soon-ish, and am actually somewhat glad I'll be alone, for somewhat nefarious reasons Also, I've been wanting to visit a ryokan and spend some time meditating... hike around Mt. Koya, maybe rent a performance car and do some of those infamous togue runs (Nippon Rental does a Subaru Legacy B4, you can also rent an MX-5 or RX8).
Travelling on your own is not necessarily bad. You somehow have more flexibility and control of the schedule really. Is this your first time going to Japan? Ryokan, sentou, rotenburo, etc. can be a quite relaxing experience as long as you are not uncomfortable with nudity.

Quote:
There's a good chance that any girl I'm with would be okay with sitting in the passenger's seat as I threw a car around through the turns, and maybe even with the hiking and meditating and all that... but then, there's an element to it that I'd like to do solo.
Whatever floats your boat. There have been like 2 times where travelling on my own has hit me. I was at Aruba seeing the sunset from my table at a nice restaurant. I saw families, couples, and a wedding celebration at the beach. Imagine, seeing that around me all by myself at my table, eating alone. Oh yeah, it got me haha! Went to Ireland to see U2 in concert 3 nights and check out the country. Even though I arranged to meet there with friends there was this night where we all went back to our hotels and I was walking around the city. Sure, I was surrounded by the crowds at the bars/pubs, people chilling in the city, etc. but still, I felt something was missing and went back to my hotel with that feeling. Have gone on vacation to a couple of places on my own and I would do it again. Don't really have a preference when it comes to travelling alone, with a girl, or group of friends. Each one has its good/bad thing for me.

If I feel lonely in a vacation trip I remind myself of all the other things I get to enjoy from being single and end up feeling better.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times
Quote:
Travelling on your own is not necessarily bad. You somehow have more flexibility and control of the schedule really. Is this your first time going to Japan? Ryokan, sentou, rotenburo, etc. can be a quite relaxing experience as long as you are not uncomfortable with nudity.

Whatever floats your boat. There have been like 2 times where travelling on my own has hit me. I was at Aruba seeing the sunset from my table at a nice restaurant. I saw families, couples, and a wedding celebration at the beach. Imagine, seeing that around me all by myself at my table, eating alone. Oh yeah, it got me haha! Went to Ireland to see U2 in concert 3 nights and check out the country. Even though I arranged to meet there with friends there was this night where we all went back to our hotels and I was walking around the city. Sure, I was surrounded by the crowds at the bars/pubs, people chilling in the city, etc. but still, I felt something was missing and went back to my hotel with that feeling. Have gone on vacation to a couple of places on my own and I would do it again. Don't really have a preference when it comes to travelling alone, with a girl, or group of friends. Each one has its good/bad thing for me.

If I feel lonely in a vacation trip I remind myself of all the other things I get to enjoy from being single and end up feeling better.
Think about that person in Aruba who was probably looking at you with envy as they fantasized getting away from their nagging mate.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Think about that person in Aruba who was probably looking at you with envy as they fantasized getting away from their nagging mate.
Hahahahahaha! Never thought about that but, imagine!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this will be my first time. I took Japanese for a year in school while I was seeing a Japanese-American gal and after we broke up I rarely used it unless I was at a Japanese restaurant explaining that I'm a vegetarian, so it'll be fun getting to bumble my way through asking where things are and trying to pick up women. Looking forward to it

Quote:
There's a video by Tomcraft that's sort of about that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbtV4pOnUU

Quote:
This is going to be my first "big trip" in about four years - first, I lost my job with the economy. Then, I couldn't find work for six months and spent another year and a half without stable employment. This has meant that for the last year that I've had stable work, I've been a workaholic - it's also part of the reason I haven't had a stable, long-term relationship in awhile. I get outside of the city most of my days off to decompress and go out with my friends and whatever gal I'm scre- er, seeing at the moment, so this will probably be my huge decompression trip. I'll see some mountains, pick up some girls, do some meditation, and just generally enjoy being somewhere entirely not-like where I live.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, this will be my first time. I took Japanese for a year in school while I was seeing a Japanese-American gal and after we broke up I rarely used it unless I was at a Japanese restaurant explaining that I'm a vegetarian, so it'll be fun getting to bumble my way through asking where things are and trying to pick up women. Looking forward to it
Maybe you end up moving there like I did. Interesting how you can see the futuristic high-tech part of Japan and miles away you are enjoying Japan’s ancient ruins, history, shrines, etc.

Quote:
I'll see some mountains, pick up some girls, do some meditation, and just generally enjoy being somewhere entirely not-like where I live.
I guess this is one of the many perks we get to enjoy from being single. Besides Tokyo, make some time for Kyoto, Osaka, Hokkaido, etc. If not, try those places next time. I can imagine you already read about them.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe you end up moving there like I did. Interesting how you can see the futuristic high-tech part of Japan and miles away you are enjoying Japan’s ancient ruins, history, shrines, etc.
Ah, cool - do you still live there? One of the things I will hand being single is that I could decide to move to a foreign country and provided that I can get visas and work sorted, I can just go.

From my Google Images/Earth tourism and what I've read and been told, I've gathered that. It seems like there was a massive population drain from the countryside to the cities after WW2 and it's only gotten more severe as time goes on.

Quote:
I guess this is one of the many perks we get to enjoy from being single. Besides Tokyo, make some time for Kyoto, Osaka, Hokkaido, etc. If not, try those places next time. I can imagine you already read about them.
Oh, hell yeah. I have an uncle who lived in Wakayama for awhile for some construction project and would like to get out that way after seeing his pictures - Mt. Koya is Wakayama Prefecture, so I figure it'll happen. I definitely have to see Kyoto and Osaka; I'd also like to get to Okinawa, if possible (I have a military ID and can get on base to take advantage of cheap hotel rates).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships