Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:42 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
They say preferences in music is intricately linked to one's personality... if the person you were dating had different musical tastes than yourself would you consider that a key incompatibility.
Personality differences, likes / dislikes, all of those things are what makes us human including tastes in music, the arts, movies, etc...
Unless you want a mirror image of yourself in the personality department of course music indifferences aren't going to hurt a relationship. If anything it is going to allow someone to maybe learn something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
I listen to theatrical trailer music and Movie soundtracks.

I listen to David Julyan's The Descent Soundtrack.

I also listen to video game music.

I am going to die alone.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
So long as they are open minded I'm fine with dating someone with opposite musical tastes. She may expose me to great new music I otherwise wouldn't have heard.

Being a mucisian I will admit to being a bit of a music snob. I would struggle dating someone who would ONLY listen to top 40 or ONLY listen to mainstream rap or country. I'd have a hard time spending my life with a woman who said her all time favorite and most meaningful artists were people like Creed, Matchbox 20, Lady Gaga, Young Jeezy, Lil Wayne or Nickelback. YAWWWNNN....

Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Music tastes do tend to indicate certain personalities and though I wouldn't say having varying tastes necessarily makes you incompatible it might be an indicator. If one loves music and the other could not care less this could be a serious problem. As human beings we constantly need to communicate with each other and in many ways music is a Universal language. If you don't speak the same dialect though it will be much harder to understand the other. Music in many ways is a way for us to express how we feel through other's writing and playing. We relate to certain types of music because of particualr experiences,because it "speaks" to us. If your spouse doesn't get what it is that touches you in music I feel a certain part of your personality will remain closed to them. And thus often we can resent people who do not share our tastes as we feel almost "slighted". It becomes almost an imlied criticism . After all most of us would like to believe we have perfect taste !

I have really electic music tastes anything between heavy metal and Opera with Jazz, World Music, Rock, Classical, Country etc... in between. So does Hubby. Both of us hate Rap and "garage"/"grunge" and a lot of "pop" ( Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue all that kind of rubbish) and I think it does help that we have similar tastes. Our MP3 have a lot of different stuff but still most of it is the same.

I have introduced him to new music and so has he and we have both enjoyed the process I think. We love going to concerts and music festivals ( going to one today) and I think I would have a hard time if he wanted to go and see Britney Spears or Ludacris...

Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Music tastes do tend to indicate certain personalities and though I wouldn't say having varying tastes necessarily makes you incompatible it might be an indicator. If one loves music and the other could not care less this could be a serious problem. As human beings we constantly need to communicate with each other and in many ways music is a Universal language. If you don't speak the same dialect though it will be much harder to understand the other. Music in many ways is a way for us to express how we feel through other's writing and playing. We relate to certain types of music because of particualr experiences,because it "speaks" to us. If your spouse doesn't get what it is that touches you in music I feel a certain part of your personality will remain closed to them.
Very well stated, Moose!! I agree with that wholeheartedly. Certain music can move me to tears, give me goosebumps, and make a moment in life all the more unforgettable. I meet very few people that have such a relationship with music, so it was pure joy to find a man that not only "got" that about me, but also felt the same passion. I find his musical personality to be incredibly appealing, and a definite turn-on.

Quote:
I have introduced him to new music and so has he and we have both enjoyed the process I think. We love going to concerts and music festivals ( going to one today) and I think I would have a hard time if he wanted to go and see Britney Spears or Ludacris...
Ah, yeah...I agree with THAT too!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
For me music tastes are a biggie. I'm into old-school (grown folk) soul/R&B music because to me, you felt what the artists were conveying and they had natural talent, unlike many of today's musicians. If a woman doesn't knout about Sam Cooke, Temptations, O'Jays, Gerald Levert or Etta James, she can keep it moving that way. I like to go to jazz/blues clubs to relax or listen to the sounds of the sax.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Being a mucisian I will admit to being a bit of a music snob. I would struggle dating someone who would ONLY listen to top 40 or ONLY listen to mainstream rap or country. I'd have a hard time spending my life with a woman who said her all time favorite and most meaningful artists were people like Creed, Matchbox 20, Lady Gaga, Young Jeezy, Lil Wayne or Nickelback. YAWWWNNN....
Same here. Being unable to have some level of intelligent discussion and mutual appreciation of that which I am most passionate about would be disappointing.

Quote:
As human beings we constantly need to communicate with each other and in many ways music is a Universal language. If you don't speak the same dialect though it will be much harder to understand the other. Music in many ways is a way for us to express how we feel through other's writing and playing. We relate to certain types of music because of particualr experiences,because it "speaks" to us. If your spouse doesn't get what it is that touches you in music I feel a certain part of your personality will remain closed to them.
This is a excellent point.

Last edited by Wildcat15; 07-25-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 10:59 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
Not really.

I've never dated a girl that listened to the music I do, unless they started listening to it or more or less ''Tolerated'' it because of me.

I pretty much exclusively listen to punk and hardcore music. And by punk music, I do not mean Blink182 or Fall Out Guy or whatever people who don't listen to actual punk music perceive as ''Punk rock music''.

I play in bands, I've been lucky enough to tour a few places in the world and all over the USA at various points. Never enough to make a living or anything. The only time I tend to meet girls into the same music as me, has been when I've played shows. And due to a bad experience (being rejected once after I was POSITIVE the girl liked me!) I do not date or hook up with chicks that I've met while touring. I've had a couple chances, way early on when I was in a long term relationship, so I turned them down. Then at other points when I was single, which I continued to turn down because of the one bad experience. And sometimes now, which I'm engaged at this point.

My fiance listens to top 40 stuff mostly, I can tolerate some of it, mostly because of her. I kind of like Adele and Katy Perry a little bit, hell no to Meghan Trainor though. I only listen to this stuff if I'm in her car though, I'd never buy their CD or anything or jam out to them when I'm by myself. She does tolerate my music though and has even been to a few shows I've played and I've made her watch old videos I have of playing from years ago before I met her.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
For me, yes. That doesn't mean varying taste is frowned upon, just that we need to have some compatibility. I've actually never had an issue of differences in music taste in any relationship. Pretty much every partner expressed a dislike for country. I'm not a fan of today's country. I don't listen to it, and neither do I listen to 99% of rap.

I tend to like a lot of genres, but of course have a few favorites. My husband is a blues lover. Blues, indie soul/folk/rock, classic rock/70s, alternative rock, grunge, but no pop or 80s. Whereas I love all of the aforementioned genres. I LOVE 80s music. I was raised on it.

One of my absolute favorite genres is film scores/epic orchestral (music used for film and video game trailers). I've been a collector of soundtracks and film scores since I was in middle school. I have nearly a TB of just soundtracks and scores. I am extremely passionate about my love for this genre. My exH was also just as into it (he's was a professional instrumentalist), and the same for a previous boyfriend, and I introduced it to another ex-boyfriend. He really got into it. I also introduced it to my husband, who appreciates the genre.

If he didn't like music, or barely tolerated my taste in music, we wouldn't have been compatible. I would have discovered this very early on, so it wasn't an issue. I actually can't think of a single man I dated, briefly or seriously, that didn't share the same or very similar taste in music.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Live and recorded music have always been a big part of my life. My first wife hated music and was unfriendly toward my music system. She didn't like the looks of my audio equipment in our various apartments and houses, hated the music i played and didn't enjoy live music, either. All she could talk about was how much I spent audio equipment and LPs. Result: music died in my life for quite a long while.

Until we divorced and I met someone who encourages and shares in my interest for music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships