Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is the pup in the front winking, or does he have only one eye?

Nope, he's got both eyes. That was Cecil and he actually winked at me when I took the photo, which is why I love that picture so much. I'd never seen a dog do that before.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:53 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Actually there were three more in the hallway behind them, you can't see in the photo, for a total of eight, but only three of them are mine the rest were rescued dogs I fostered until someone adopted them. The two big one's on the bed to the right are mine and one in the hallway. Sometimes I'd have only one or two other times 8 or 9 and sometimes none at all.
But there is no greater feeling in the world than watching these people, and the dogs which were on death row, get soooo happy to unite and know you made that happen.

For anyone that doesn't have access to my profile this is what Antlered is talking about:
How did you get them all to sit so well for the picture, the one in the very back of the photo to the right, is that a Shar Pei?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Actually there were three more in the hallway behind them, you can't see in the photo, for a total of eight, but only three of them are mine the rest were rescued dogs I fostered until someone adopted them. The two big one's on the bed to the right are mine and one in the hallway. Sometimes I'd have only one or two other times 8 or 9 and sometimes none at all.
But there is no greater feeling in the world than watching these people, and the dogs which were on death row, get soooo happy to unite and know you made that happen.

For anyone that doesn't have access to my profile this is what Antlered is talking about:
They are all adorable! It is a good feeling to see them get into homes. I tried fostering once, but I ended up with a beagle with separation anxiety who barked all day and the neighbors complained. He went to stay with my parents until he was adopted. The boy whose family adopted him was excited for Buddy to be his friend. He said he didn't have other friends because the kids all make fun of him. I'm glad I didn't do that adoption, I would've started crying!

Being able to foster is an incentive for me to get a house someday.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Heh, dogs are funny. I have no interest in getting my own dog, but I kind of like other people's dogs from time to time. I think a lot of dog people think that about kids.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
How did you get them all to sit so well for the picture, the one in the very back of the photo to the right, is that a Shar Pei?
I didn't do anything to get them to sit together like that they just did it on their own. It's why I could foster so many because they would all get along so well. They ate from a communal bowl and came in and out of the dog door as they pleased I hardley had to do anything.

Yeah, the big moose up and to the right is a shar-pei, Sydney, but she passed away last August. She was a wonderful and loving dog.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Heh, dogs are funny. I have no interest in getting my own dog, but I kind of like other people's dogs from time to time. I think a lot of dog people think that about kids.
I think you're right. LOL

Of course, if you could kennel kids when you leave and use shock collars to get them to shut up, things might be a little different.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Don't tempt me.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Yeah, the big moose up and to the right is a shar-pei, Sydney, but she passed away last August. She was a wonderful and loving dog.
I love that breed of dog, they're strong as an ox though, use to dog sit. Sorry about Sydney.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
. I'm glad I didn't do that adoption, I would've started crying!

Being able to foster is an incentive for me to get a house someday.
That was why I had so many or as soon as I adopted the last one I would take in another one right away so it wasn't so upsetting. I tried not to handle them too much either, my other dogs took care of them so I wouldn't get too attached. I did end up, after 2 years of doing it, adopting one of my fosters.

But I'll tell ya, that little Jack Russell dog in the photo was a holy terror and tore my house apart. He actually scaled the handles on the drawers in the kitchen and got up on the kitchen counter, scaled the chain link fence and got over it, ripped down all my window blinds in the front of my house, if I put her in a cage she would just yap the whole time and jump up and down so bad the metal crate would come up off the ground. What a nightmare. In two years and many,many jack russells later, she was the only dog I'd ever had a problem with.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
That was why I had so many or as soon as I adopted the last one I would take in another one right away so it wasn't so upsetting. I tried not to handle them too much either, my other dogs took care of them so I wouldn't get too attached. I did end up, after 2 years of doing it, adopting one of my fosters.

But I'll tell ya, that little Jack Russel dog in the photo was a holy terror and tore my house apart. He actually scaled the handles on the drawers in the kitchen and got up on the kitchen counter, scaled the chain link fence and got over it, ripped down all my window blinds in the front of my house, if I put her in a cage she would just yap the whole time and jump up and down so bad the metal crate would come up off the ground. What a nightmare. In two years and many,many jack russels, she was the only dog I'd ever had a problem with.
We actually have a "Foster Failure Club" in our group! Once you cave and adopt one of your fosters, you get to join the club and we go out to dinner. LOL I adopted my mom's foster beagle, but I had her a couple weeks before I officially adopted her so they let me join the club. Haha. My parents currently have two beagles. One was a foster who was adopted out and came back (adoption never should have happened...don't know what they were thinking) and is now a permanent foster. My parents can't adopt her legally but she will not be leaving their house. The other beagle is a foster they've had for 2.5 years. She's not going anywhere. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships