Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM

156 posts, read 270,470 times

Advertisements

My husband's aunt and family are coming this weekend to visit.
We were going to the mall today to pick up pants that were being altered at Nordstrom for my husband. I was just going to wait in the car, but he wanted to get something for his aunt. He loves this aunt because she did a lot for him and helped him a lot. So he asked me what he should get her. I gave the idea for a purse. We saw a really nice purse at Nordstrom for $100. He didn't want to spend that much, he wanted to spend around 50. So I said let's go to Macy's it's a little cheaper. It's on the other side of the Mall, so of course we passed by many many stores. I get distracted easily and saw a lot of purses while passing by, so of course I look. We went into a couple stores but didn't like much or the prices were like 500 bucks for a purse! We saw one store that had a really nice one for only about 150. I loved the color and liked the purse. My husband was like do you want to buy it for yourself. I was thinking about it then, plus the saleswomen were like try it on, it's one sale and 150 is a really good deal. I was getting a little suckered in by everything and everyone saying get it. But then I came to my senses lol and was like let's go to Macy's and see what's there. Plus we came to buy something for my husband's aunt. But even through all that I was thinking we'll give that purse to her aunt.

Then we finally get to Macy's. We saw a really nice purple purse for $60. I liked it so much I kinda wanted it myself and said that out loud. Then I said we can get two. My husband was like no, you can't get the same thing. (I mean she lives in FL, does it matter, we see them once every couple years). So I was like let's get two different purses and let her choose one. I saw two nice ones at Macys for around 60 and get those. Or get the one purple purse adn the $150 purse. My husband said no. So then I was like ok let's get her one at Nordstrom for $100. He says ok.

I then started looking at shoes, ya know, the shoes are right there. Plus my feet were killing me because I had these awful shoes on that were hurting me. So I wanted to get some comfy work shoes. I tried a couple on and couldn't find anything. So we leave and are walking back towards Nordstrom. I'm thinking we're going to buy the other purse. My husband says no and just keeps walking to our car instead. He was so mad. Because he said I made the trip about myself. And I'm lying, and I'm sneaky and saying I'm going to throw it his face that he bought a $100 purse for his aunt. And that I never wanted him to buy her something. Ok, so I got distracted and bought something for myself and did some other shopping. But to say I'm lying, I could care less what he buys his aunt. He hasn't seen this family in 3 years and they are really nice people.

Did I deserve to be yelled at and be mad at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM

751 posts, read 1,675,307 times
I don't believe you or anyone deserves to be yelled at but from some of the wording in your comments did kinda sway towards your direction.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,173,736 times
he asked for help then you spent the whole time trying to buy stuff for yourself?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,039,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
Deserve it? No - not the yelling part; I don't believe in raised words and shouting between mates. Should you be surprised that your husband is p*ssed? No.

*sheesh* the guy wanted to go pick up his pants and get his aunt a gift. He probably would have made a bee-line to the alterations department, given a 30 second consideration to a gift ("I guess she'd like this. where's the checkout?"), and been outa there. With you along, it became an expedition, much of it focused on what you wanted.

Next time - if there is one - FOCUS. Pick out the gift, get the hell out. If you see something that interests you, go back later on your own. One of the first things a woman learns is her mate's attitude on shopping. I never expect my spouse to go along. Even the times he's been good natured and wanted to accompany me, it devolved into long winded *sighs* and a resigned attitude as I took my time checking out sales and trying on clothes. Men can be like little kids when shopping with their wives. Keep them out too long, let them get tired of the circumstances, and they're sure to have a meltdown, forcing you to leave

Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,693,896 times
I feel you should have been yelled at for buying over priced crap like that. And if you are that wealthy to be buying $150 purses then you may just be insulting others or making them feel bad who can hardly afford food to feed their families. I am not putting you down at all. Just think of others please. Your post may appear to those less fortunate as bragging.

You should try working the food bank once in a while. Come by and find me one weekend. I also contribute to ABC's Home Makover as well as build for Habitat for Humanity. There now I am bragging but I am so proud of it. Sorry but helping the hungry, poor and less fortunate is a real close subject to me and I did not like your post. Yankeegirl please don't delete!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,173,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I feel you should have been yelled at for buying over priced crap like that. And if you are that wealthy to be buying $150 purses then you may just be insulting others or making them feel bad who can hardly afford food to feed their families. I am not putting you down at all. Just think of others please. Your post may appear to those less fortunate as bragging.

You should try working the food bank once in a while. Come by and find me one weekend. I also contribute to ABC's Home Makover as well as build for Habitat for Humanity. There now I am bragging but I am so proud of it. Sorry but helping the hungry, poor and less fortunate is a real close subject to me and I did not like your post. Yankeegirl please don't delete!
you should check out my $300 pair of jeans. i think you'd like them

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

67 posts, read 143,872 times
Do people actually think 150$ purses mean wealthy????

Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
My husband's aunt and family are coming this weekend to visit.
We were going to the mall today to pick up pants that were being altered at Nordstrom for my husband. I was just going to wait in the car, but he wanted to get something for his aunt. He loves this aunt because she did a lot for him and helped him a lot. So he asked me what he should get her. I gave the idea for a purse. We saw a really nice purse at Nordstrom for $100. He didn't want to spend that much, he wanted to spend around 50. So I said let's go to Macy's it's a little cheaper. It's on the other side of the Mall, so of course we passed by many many stores. I get distracted easily and saw a lot of purses while passing by, so of course I look. We went into a couple stores but didn't like much or the prices were like 500 bucks for a purse! We saw one store that had a really nice one for only about 150. I loved the color and liked the purse. My husband was like do you want to buy it for yourself. I was thinking about it then, plus the saleswomen were like try it on, it's one sale and 150 is a really good deal. I was getting a little suckered in by everything and everyone saying get it. But then I came to my senses lol and was like let's go to Macy's and see what's there. Plus we came to buy something for my husband's aunt. But even through all that I was thinking we'll give that purse to her aunt.

Then we finally get to Macy's. We saw a really nice purple purse for $60. I liked it so much I kinda wanted it myself and said that out loud. Then I said we can get two. My husband was like no, you can't get the same thing. (I mean she lives in FL, does it matter, we see them once every couple years). So I was like let's get two different purses and let her choose one. I saw two nice ones at Macys for around 60 and get those. Or get the one purple purse adn the $150 purse. My husband said no. So then I was like ok let's get her one at Nordstrom for $100. He says ok.

I then started looking at shoes, ya know, the shoes are right there. Plus my feet were killing me because I had these awful shoes on that were hurting me. So I wanted to get some comfy work shoes. I tried a couple on and couldn't find anything. So we leave and are walking back towards Nordstrom. I'm thinking we're going to buy the other purse. My husband says no and just keeps walking to our car instead. He was so mad. Because he said I made the trip about myself. And I'm lying, and I'm sneaky and saying I'm going to throw it his face that he bought a $100 purse for his aunt. And that I never wanted him to buy her something. Ok, so I got distracted and bought something for myself and did some other shopping. But to say I'm lying, I could care less what he buys his aunt. He hasn't seen this family in 3 years and they are really nice people.

Yeah you kinda did. I mean don't get me wrong, I have the selfish thing that goes on here and there myself. And Love shopping. But you were there for his aunt. You should made that your priority to get that first. Then ask him if it was alright to shop. And he should remember whom he married and who he has to live with. Why not make both ladies happy and be done with it.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,020,256 times
I do agree that you took away from the fact that this was about a gift for his Aunt. I thought the suggestion about buying one for each of you was pretty tacky. It sounds like you couldn't just let her be the only one to receive a gift.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:38 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,113,672 times
Next time he goes shopping and doesn't ask you along you'll wonder why? I wouldn't blame him, the shopping trip was about his aunt, not about you. There might not be a next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships