Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

I ended it last night because I felt we were too different. I didn't feel the sparks anymore and it was getting too much for me to handle with school, work and hiding it from both mine and his parents. We couldnt tell our parents because mine are traditional Indian who want me to have an arranged marriage.

His parents were Chinese who wanted the same thing. It was getting so hard for me to hide it.

But I am so depressed about it.

I am 22 and have been with him since I was 18. For my age, that is almost a quarter of my life.

Any advice? I feel so broken.

Last edited by Theliberalvoice; 07-08-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
I'm sorry you're going through that. It's tough.

You probably have heard this enough, but time really does help. Four years is a long time to be with someone, especially when you are that young. My advice would be to focus on yourself. Do things that make you happy or try new things you never thought you would.

Best of luck.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 PM

We were high school sweet hearts. This really sucks. I just want to make sure I did the right thing.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:50 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I ended it last night because I felt we were too different. I didn't feel the sparks anymore and it was getting too much for me to handle with school, work and hiding it from both mine and his parents.

I am 22 and have been with him since I was 18. For my age, that is almost a quarter of my life.

I don't think any of us knows the need of hiding your relationship from both set of parents and I'm not sure it matters...I just want to offer my support.
It's hard to break up with a person you spent so much time with. I can understand the heartbreak you are feeling. Just spend a lot of time now with people you love and doing things you enjoy doing.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
We were high school sweet hearts. This really sucks. I just want to make sure I did the right thing.

Only you can answer that if you look deep down inside. We can all just speculate and make suggestions.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't think any of us knows the need of hiding your relationship from both set of parents and I'm not sure it matters...I just want to offer my support.
It's hard to break up with a person you spent so much time with. I can understand the heartbreak you are feeling. Just spend a lot of time now with people you love and doing things you enjoy doing.
We couldnt tell our parents because mine are traditional Indian who want me to have an arranged marriage.

His parents were Chinese who wanted the same thing. It was getting so hard for me to hide it.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, you're the only one who can decide if it's the right thing. I often think young people who have been in LTR's can benefit from being single for awhile. It can be a great opportunity to find out who you really are, what you want out of life, etc.

Breakups suck and it will hurt for awhile, but hopefully with the support of friends and/or family it will start to hurt less and less. Try not to let anyone tell you when you SHOULD be over it, though. You will get through it in your own time and in your own way. Please take care of yourself.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
We couldnt tell our parents because mine are traditional Indian who want me to have an arranged marriage.

I bet that put a lot of pressure on the romance in this relationship. In the beginning hiding can be exciting and then it just becomes a burden...Unfortunately "Romeo and Juliet" didn't work out in the book and rarely works out in real life.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
I ended it last night because I felt we were too different. I didn't feel the sparks anymore and it was getting too much for me to handle with school, work and hiding it from both mine and his parents. We couldnt tell our parents because mine are traditional Indian who want me to have an arranged marriage.

Sounds like it was your choice. You must have thought it out well. The broken feeling will pass with time. You have lost someone who had become part of yourself. It takes time. Focus on your work and school. The next time you date for a long-term relationship decide up front if you are willing to allow the relationship to live up to your own expectations, or that of your parents. You are an adult and should not have to "hide" anything from your parents. That you did for the past 4 years and that you ended the relationship probably means that it was not important enough to you to confront your parents and fight for it.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Your screen name says you are pro Freedom, pro choice, and pro woman, but you are allowing your parents' outdated view on arranged marriages to prevent you from seeing who you want?

Your ex may not be the one you want, but do you want to have someone chosen for you? It just doesn't seem like you to allow someone else to decide your future happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships