Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,300,155 times

Advertisements

I need some theories on this - why do men who have such a negative view of women still continue to date them? In general when a guy sleeps around, uses women, and shows very little interest in them - he is considered a stud. But I know from personal experience that it usually means something is a little off with the guy. And when I say little, I mean a lot.

Recently this guy at work has been showing some interest in me. He's handsome, mysterious, he goes out of his way to be nice. But then I heard through the grape vine some tid bits about his sexual history, including that he has a history of using women for sex and even said he slept with one girl because he "didn't have a blow up doll". If that's not misogyny, I don't know what is.

Needless to say, I am now avoiding him like the plague. He may have the physical features to attract a girl, but he's butt ugly in my book.

So, back to my point: what motivates these men? The guy I work with is very masculine, but many speculate he may secretly be gay. I have no problem with homosexuality, I have many friends who are gay. But if he is, why is he putting all these women through so much torture if he knows he can never really like them?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
There are lots of screwed up people in this world. Your job is to enjoy your life and stay sane. That means protect your heart and keeping your mind clear for productive, life-enhancing concepts. Don't even clutter your mind with wondering about him; who cares what his story is? You have already made the decision not to deal with him.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Be careful listening to gossip. Sometimes the people who spread rumors are no peaches either.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
You really need to form your own opinions and learn how to trust your own instincts. For all you know these co-workers may have an axe to grind. For every misogynist, there is a misandrist out there. I'm sure some of our resident misandrists will be chiming in with what a selfish pig this guy is, which only helps drive my point home.

Sometimes you have to consider the source of this gossip and what the motives are. How credible are these people.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,171,849 times
lots of bad experiences with women = not caring = possibility of becoming a "jerk"

if they are also starting rumors he's gay then there might not be much truth to anything they are sayin

Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I need some theories on this - why do men who have such a negative view of women still continue to date them? In general when a guy sleeps around, uses women, and shows very little interest in them - he is considered a stud. But I know from personal experience that it usually means something is a little off with the guy. And when I say little, I mean a lot.

Recently this guy at work has been showing some interest in me. He's handsome, mysterious, he goes out of his way to be nice. But then I heard through the grape vine some tid bits about his sexual history, including that he has a history of using women for sex and even said he slept with one girl because he "didn't have a blow up doll". If that's not misogyny, I don't know what is.

Needless to say, I am now avoiding him like the plague. He may have the physical features to attract a girl, but he's butt ugly in my book.

So, back to my point: what motivates these men? The guy I work with is very masculine, but many speculate he may secretly be gay. I have no problem with homosexuality, I have many friends who are gay. But if he is, why is he putting all these women through so much torture if he knows he can never really like them?

Thoughts?
IF what is said is true, and IF this man really is a womanizing pig;

There are many gay men and straight/gay women that suffer from Hysterical personality disorder. Also, aside HPD, NPB (Narcissism) is more common in straight men and women. They are closely related, both relvolve around shallowness, self absorbed, and need for attention. The HPD is usually a more sexually-charged attention seeking disorder while narcissim is more broad but can also be sexual tendencies.

You may know all of this already.

I guess where I am going with this; he MAY be putting these women through this because of his OWN insecurities stemming from a childhood incident, inappropriate upbringing, or several other factors. He was so torn-down that now these types will spend the rest of their days tearing others down to make themselves feel better. HPDs do this by attracting as much inappropriate sexual attention as possible to themselves, almost as though they are a star in a movie. NPD are usually less dramatic or "living life through a movie" but are equally as manipulative, abusive, or even sexually engaging etc.

Bottom line: he may be gay and if that is the case , chances are he is simply on a rampage feeding his empty ego because that is the only response he learned from whatever demons in his past allow.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,833 times
Quote:
But then I heard through the grape vine some tid bits about his sexual history, including that he has a history of using women for sex and even said he slept with one girl because he "didn't have a blow up doll". If that's not misogyny, I don't know what is.
Because a guy is horny and wants to get laid does not mean he's a misogynist. I have had sex with girls I didn't really want to pursue a relationship with. It was casual and no big deal.

Quote:
So, back to my point: what motivates these men? The guy I work with is very masculine, but many speculate he may secretly be gay.
Don't you and your gossipy co-workers have something more interesting to talk about? If he is banging women left and right I sincerely doubt that he is gay.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
There are lots of screwed up people in this world. Your job is to enjoy your life and stay sane. That means protect your heart and keeping your mind clear for productive, life-enhancing concepts. Don't even clutter your mind with wondering about him; who cares what his story is? You have already made the decision not to deal with him.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
I think I need a sticky . I have explained this many times. The more casual the sexual environment, the less male bonding can exist; and like any system, it has degrees. In some cases its indifference, but it can lead all the way up to hatred. Sometimes we have over active immune systems too.

Male bonding with promiscuous women is a major reproductive threat to men. They must be repulsed in some way. Yet ironically there is more sexual pleasure involved and I have explained why that is. Apparently in his sexual environment this is the case.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,526,024 times
That sounds like bad office gossiping. You should stay out of this. I usually leave conversations involving anyone that is not present.

Why would womanizing = gay?

Or mysogynist for that matter?

Just because he had no respect for one girl doesn't mean he hates women. I know some girls who probably think that I wasn't respectful to them because I had no interest in doing anything else than sex with them and I know some girls who walked right over me and considered me like nothing more than another dildoh when I was the one interested in a serious relationship.

The only "situation" at work is the one that you and your coworkers are making out of personal matters. Gossiping can backfire on those who do it. I've seen it and in the ccurent state of the economy, most employers won't hesitate to terminate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships