Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:31 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,670,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I hope you did something for your wife on her birthday.

It would have been incredibly lame of you to have used the excuse that you were broke not to make an effort to make her feel special.
Indeed.

It's hard to conceive of being so broke that you couldn't buy flowers. I buy my girlfriend flowers, all the time. She always says: it's a waste of money. I always ignore her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 04:34 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,192,238 times
Do what the others suggest as far as making dinner, etc...do make sure and either MAKE or buy a card and tell your relatives to butt out.

Quote:
It's hard to conceive of being so broke that you couldn't buy flowers.
I can, btdt.

When you CAN finally afford to buy a present or flowers do so, regardless of the day...it doesn't have to be her birthday or a special occasion for you to do that. Liz

Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If money is tight, a present is not necessary , make her meal at home or just give her a nice foot massage or even make her something. Loving somebody is NOT about buying things and though presents are nice , Love and kind gestures are far more important. Just spending time together, a nice romantic walk and watching a movie on TV shows you love someone. It really is about thought not cash. I don't think getting into debt by using "plastic" is a great present either ! I know I would much prefer a bit of attention and doing something together than getting stuff only to have to pay for it on the "never, never".
perfectly said! I agree completely

Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,334,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I was unemployed I was very tight with my money. I did not buy a gift for my wife or anyone else. It seemed like paying the rent and having food on the plate were my first thoughts. Though when Birthday time came and there was no gift for my wife I was given hell by all the relatives. They said I should have bought something or put it on a Credit Card if necessary.

Considering her money was my money, why buy something no one really needed when money was tight? Or am I wrong?
I totally agree with u. Why waste money that both of u need. Although a gift does not have to cost u money. U could have written her a letter a poem or maybe even made something or helped her out more with chores. Also breakfast in bed or just making the time u spend with her extra special. Just a thought or two Under those circumstances I would not have purchased a gift either.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,378,809 times
Me i'd have sold something of mine if I were that broke, with a years notice on birthdays i'd have found a way. The words I love you get old with out the positive influences to back it up.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:30 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,257,510 times
If you and your wife are OK with it, I wouldn't worry about what other people think. It's not about the gifts; it's about the gesture. You can just as easily do something romantic and sweet than to "buy her off" so to speak.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,617 times
As a woman, my 0.02...

What are the routine things she ALWAYS does? Dishes? Floors? Clothes? Dinner?

I finally admitted to my husband...that I was disappointed I had to make breakfast for mother's day (stupid, I know)...but I said that everyone wants to feel special.

The things women often want the most aren't things you can buy....sit back and WATCH HER....you'll know what she'd like!!

Old 06-23-2007, 01:51 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,370,011 times
Dingler...Before I answer this let me ask you, ... if you didn't buy her a "gift" then what did you do for her? I can think of a thousand things I could do for under $20.00 that are worth a million dollars in dedication. I've only been here a month or so but I noticed that you create a lot of threads but don't really get involved or reply to them. Just my observation though. Hopefully you are employed now.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I was unemployed I was very tight with my money. I did not buy a gift for my wife or anyone else. It seemed like paying the rent and having food on the plate were my first thoughts. Though when Birthday time came and there was no gift for my wife I was given hell by all the relatives. They said I should have bought something or put it on a Credit Card if necessary.

Considering her money was my money, why buy something no one really needed when money was tight? Or am I wrong?

No your not wrong, sound to me like her relatives with their "put it on a credit card" are the type to declare bankruptcy in the future for living beyond their means. You do what you can afford to do and if you can afford to do, you don't. That's how people get in financial trouble to begin with, tell them "Thanks for the REALLY bad advice."

Old 06-24-2007, 02:23 AM

250 posts, read 933,314 times
First of all Great question!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, if you can't afford it, why would you want to spend the money? My husband and I don't buy each other anything for any holiday/birthday etc. We know food on the table and shelter are the most important things. Besides we can make up for the lack of gifts in the bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships