Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,995,420 times

Advertisements

Granted it seems the puppy was a pop up happening. But people need to learn to deal. Things that are life altering always happen. Your boyfriend seems he didn't try hard enough. It's a damn dog. For pete's sake. Why are people so dumb. If this is any sign of your future, I say move on sister!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM

18,457 posts, read 19,101,728 times
there are several things going on here lets start with the dog, yours. I am a pet lover but I have a problem with pet owners who think their dog should be welcome anywhere! not everyone wants a rambunctious puppy running all over the place. same thing with screaming toddlers and crying babies. an older dog who is over the puppy stage is way easier to deal with than a puppy. as hard as it is to board any dog it is not the end of the world and might just be the solution or to have a pet sitter come stya with the dog. if people are bringing campers, rent one so you, your boy friend and both dogs can stay in your camper and your dogs won't be bothering anyone. your boyfriend di have it out with his brother so it isn't like he is against you. to say no one cares about your exam is a bit like thinking the world should stop because you have important things to deal with. please life goes on, stress and all. if you allow your self to blow off this reunion that has been in the works for years because of your new puppy you really are telling your boyfriend, the pup is more important than him and his family. you can figure out how to get your dog taken care of one way or another

Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,353,577 times
If your bf's dog is going then I guess the precident has already been set. I say take the dog and let everyone else feel stupid about making a deal. That is IF you can be sure he won't be a bother....otherwise a kennel is a great alternataive.

FYI, I don't like dogs and hope nobody assumes that when I extend them an invite that their dog is welcome too because that would be wrong.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,038,094 times
It's not a question of me thinking that my dog should be welcome everywhere. (Actually, my bf is WAY more of that type). From what he has said, other people do bring their dogs. And, I never even thought that this would be an issue up until last night. Why all of a sudden is this sprung on me?

No, I'm not sure that he won't be a bother, any more that I'm not sure that I won't get food poisoning from the dinner on Saturday night. *shrug* He's crate trained, so putting him in the crate at night in a car would be absolutely no big deal. And, it's a family reunion, for God's sake. It's not like we're going to some hoity-toity resort. We're going to be in the boonies, on a lake. But, even beside all of that, I am stuck on the line that he'd rather me be known to his family as "his gf", not "his gf with the dog". What the heck is that about?

Well, anyway, it seems like he's pouting, because he's not answering his phone.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
It's not a question of me thinking that my dog should be welcome everywhere. (Actually, my bf is WAY more of that type). From what he has said, other people do bring their dogs. And, I never even thought that this would be an issue up until last night. Why all of a sudden is this sprung on me?

No, I'm not sure that he won't be a bother, any more that I'm not sure that I won't get food poisoning from the dinner on Saturday night. *shrug* He's crate trained, so putting him in the crate at night in a car would be absolutely no big deal. And, it's a family reunion, for God's sake. It's not like we're going to some hoity-toity resort. We're going to be in the boonies, on a lake. But, even beside all of that, I am stuck on the line that he'd rather me be known to his family as "his gf", not "his gf with the dog". What the heck is that about?

Well, anyway, it seems like he's pouting, because he's not answering his phone.
Good luck, hope it works out.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,791,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
With all due respect, I'm not in the mood for the attitude at this point.

As I have said, it is not his cabin. His dog is welcome. It is not about the puppy, in as much as it is about him thinking that it's ok to spring this on me one week before we're set to go. Sorry you took your time to read it (and highlight the words "dog" and "puppy") and didn't quite get where I was going.
Mishigas, the way I read your post it sounded like it's only recently become an issue with your BF's brother, or at least that your BF didn't know about how his brother felt until just then. If this is true, then it seems perhaps a bit hasty to fault your BF for the last minute timing. Do you see what I'm saying?

You are obviously under so much pressure about this very important exam, and it seems possible under the stress of it all that you may reacting in ways you normally would not.

Given all the givens, here, I think you're showing admirable restraint and agreeability in trying to get it worked out. Best wishes, whatever you may decide!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM

37,774 posts, read 46,260,918 times
I agree with Macrina. Sounds to me like this is really the first time that your BF has actually considered any input from anyone else on the puppy going along. I know puppies are cute, but I also know I'd think twice about staying in a cabin with both a dog AND a puppy. Sounds like BF is thinking that perhaps it isn't the best idea, now that his brother has brought it up. I think you are making FAR too big a deal about it. Kennel the pup, and go on the trip.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM

44,413 posts, read 20,161,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Mishigas, the way I read your post it sounded like it's only recently become an issue with your BF's brother, or at least that your BF didn't know about how his brother felt until just then. If this is true, then it seems perhaps a bit hasty to fault your BF for the last minute timing. Do you see what I'm saying?

You are obviously under so much pressure about this very important exam, and it seems possible under the stress of it all that you may reacting in ways you normally would not.

Given all the givens, here, I think you're showing admirable restraint and agreeability in trying to get it worked out. Best wishes, whatever you may decide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I agree with Macrina. Sounds to me like this is really the first time that your BF has actually considered any input from anyone else on the puppy going along. I know puppies are cute, but I also know I'd think twice about staying in a cabin with both a dog AND a puppy. Sounds like BF is thinking that perhaps it isn't the best idea, now that his brother has brought it up. I think you are making FAR too big a deal about it. Kennel the pup, and go on the trip.
And I agree with Macrina and ChessieMom. Your stress over your exam may be causing you to overreact. I think your bf IS in your corner.

You obviously are very attached to the pup, but perhaps you should consider boarding him while you are gone, simply to keep the peace in the family. I hope you will be able to calmly discuss this soon with your bf. I wish you luck in working things out with him.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,318,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if you allow your self to blow off this reunion that has been in the works for years because of your new puppy you really are telling your boyfriend, the pup is more important than him and his family
Well, that's the holy truth anyway. They might as well find out sooner rather than later.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Dogs are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships