Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times

Advertisements

My husband brags about himself all the time. I think I know him well enough to say that it's not a mask for insecurity or a cover-up mechanism. And he isn't narcissistic at all either, quite the opposite in fact.

I am still trying to figure him out, to be honest. I was raised to believe that modesty and humility were good traits so I call him to the carpet on his bravado all the time. He's the son of a preacher so I sometimes remind him that "the meek shall inherit the earth". He just laughs and will quote some other scripture(s) that supports his position. LOL

He believes that other people believe what you tell them about yourself. If you think you are weak other people will see you as weak also. He sees no value in downplaying his strengths or why he should hide his awesomeness in the shadows.

I gotta say, it has served him well in life. He is a self-made man who has accomplished a lot and built a great life for himself. It was done by not settling for being second best. He makes sure that he's the very best at what he does and is being known and compensated for being the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Some people have contradicting beliefs about themselves too.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Do you have any friends/relatives that love to brag about themselves? Are these people insecure and trying to mask that insecurity or do they really think they are the smartest/most successful/most talented/most beautiful person on earth?
yes, my brother in law does this.
Constantly big-noting himself (half of which are made up).

He is insecure, and it kind of goes into overdrive the more he is uncomfortable around people.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
The person is insecure.

Call me old fashioned but I'm still much more impressed with people who are capable and modest.

You get some of these bozo's like Kayne West and various sports figures always tooting their own horns about how great they are.

Yawn.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Without reading other posts....it seems more to me they're looking for reassurance to cover whats really insecuity. Ppl who are confident and self assured don't need to constantly validate their accomplishments.

Quote:
Do you have any friends/relatives that love to brag about themselves? Are these people insecure and trying to mask that insecurity or do they really think they are the smartest/most successful/most talented/most beautiful person on earth?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
I avoid narcissistic people like the plague.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Is it bragging or is she just displaying some pride. I think sometimes people get excited over something they've done or accomplished and might expect others will be just as enthusiastic. Perhaps she's just proud and thinks everyone around her is equally as proud of her accomplishments? Hard to say without being there and being able to put it into context.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
I love your title.

Regarding security and self-esteem:
I believe that if you need more of it, you don't have. If you have it, you don't need it.

So even people who don't brag but need to feel more secure or need more self-esteem don't actually have it at all. They just have better manners so they don't reveal themselves. It usually when you get to know them that they start telling you they are not very secure.

The ones that brag are the ones letting you know they don't have it. So you can pick them out easily.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:40 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
I have a friend who thinks she is always right and is an expert on everything. When she makes mistakes or wrongs someone and can't deny it, she either blames others or says something along the lines of "well, everyone makes mistakes, even me I guess!" Then immediately writes off or ignores any consequesnces. Is that part of what you're talking about? It's pretty darn unpleasant.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Yes and yes.
Quote:
How can you say yes and yes? How does that make any sense? You think they are insecure and you think they think they are the best person in the world. Maybe you don't understand my post
Buddy's answer is not profound but makes sense.
Some insecure people try to mask that insecurity by trying to convince you they are the smartest/most successful/most talented/most beautiful person on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships