Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times

Advertisements

What is it that many women eat a salad and a glass of water while going out with a guy? Maybe it is to portray an image that you eat healthy and on a diet? Maybe you feel embarrassed to eat a lot as you normally do infront of a guy? If the girl I was having dinner with was obese, chubby, chunky, big boned, thick, husky, etc. Then, ok, I would actually applaud her for eating healthy but a girl who is not in bad shape? Come on, there's fish in the menu, lean steaks, light pasta, etc. as well.

Last week I had seafood in downtown with a girl I sometimes see. Had a clamchowder, coconut shrimps, and something else. I was not THAT hungry. She had a clamchowder too as a starter and then ordered a fish, another appetizer, etc. It was fine with me. If you like to pig out, go for it . You don't have to necessarily get your face and fingers dirty. Don't know what embarrasses some women out there or what image they are trying to portray. Maybe I am missing something.

If you don't feel comfortable eating as much as you normally do in front of a guy, why is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Maybe they're on a strict budget and going out with YOU breaks it!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,171,522 times
most women i go out with have not had a problem ordering what they want

real easy to do when you are on someone elses bill!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,819 times
In defense of salads, there are some really great ones out there and are very filling. However, have you seen the cost of a salad lately? I mean it's crazy!! If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I might as well eat a good burger, chicken or pasta dish if I want to.

Some women may try to portray themselves as a light eater in front of a date but I've never been the shy type. I will eat whatever is appealing to me on the menu. Sometimes that may be just a salad.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,171,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
In defense of salads, there are some really great ones out there and are very filling. However, have you seen the cost of a salad lately? I mean it's crazy!! If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I might as well eat a good burger, chicken or pasta dish if I want to.

Some women may try to portray themselves as a light eater in front of a date but I've never been the shy type. I will eat whatever is appealing to me on the menu. Sometimes that may be just a salad.
last place i went:

salad = $14
decent burger/fries/another side = $12

Old 07-30-2010, 10:54 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,681,199 times
It all started with Scarlett O' Hera

Old 07-30-2010, 10:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
My mom's the only other woman I know who can take a sandwich like that.

- Ronnie, The Coneheads

Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
I love a great salad. Many salads aren't as weight concious as most people think so it's not about that. They have everything. I usually get a chicken or Hawaiian salad. Makes me look like I'm starving.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 AM

301 posts, read 827,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What is it that many women eat a salad and a glass of water while going out with a guy? Maybe it is to portray an image that you eat healthy and on a diet? Maybe you feel embarrassed to eat a lot as you normally do infront of a guy? If the girl I was having dinner with was obese, chubby, chunky, big boned, thick, husky, etc. Then, ok, I would actually applaud her for eating healthy but a girl who is not in bad shape? Come on, there's fish in the menu, lean steaks, light pasta, etc. as well.

Last week I had seafood in downtown with a girl I sometimes see. Had a clamchowder, coconut shrimps, and something else. I was not THAT hungry. She had a clamchowder too as a starter and then ordered a fish, another appetizer, etc. It was fine with me. If you like to pig out, go for it . You don't have to necessarily get your face and fingers dirty. Don't know what embarrasses some women out there or what image they are trying to portray. Maybe I am missing something.

If you don't feel comfortable eating as much as you normally do in front of a guy, why is it?

Are we talking the first few dates? I barely touch my food the first few dates and it has nothing to do with any of what you said. It has to do with the "butterflies" in my stomach. I'm usually much more nervous than I appear especially if I really like the guy. Haven't you ever been too nervous to eat?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 AM

944 posts, read 2,041,851 times
There are women that genuinely enjoy salad, you know. Or, have you ever considered that the ones that are in decent shape are not overweight because they eat things like salads often?

Or, if it's a highly anticipated date, she may just be a little too nervous to find a heavy meal appealing. Along the same vein some people will drink little or no alcochol on dates because they don't want getting buzzed to muddy the experience or affect their judgement (for us lightweights this can easily be a problem). There are a lot of reasons people make the food choices they do, jumping to the assumption that she just doesn't want to look like a fatty in front of her date could easily be wrong.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the cost than the healthiness of what I order when on a date. I usually stay away from the most expensive 25-50% of the menu, because women get accused a lot of using guys for free meals/drinks (and some do) and I feel uncomfortable breaking the bank when somebody else is paying the bill. This isn't hard for me since I generally prefer chicken/fish to beef anyway, and those options are normally less expensive.

Why worry so much what they're ordering anyway? The meal on a date is incidental, the point is trying to get to know someone. Or, if food choices are an important part of someone's lifestyle for you it's not hard to start a conversation about what they like to eat, if they like the same kinds of food as you, etc. If the lady is too insecure to even talk comfortably about food, now, that might be no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships