Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,090 times

Advertisements

Let's look at a hypothetical situation...

You've started dating a woman and have been out on two or three occasions.

She invites you over for a home cooked meal and goes all out and wants to pamper you like it's Valentine's Day. You're quite flattered at the invitation. You even bring a bottle of wine.

During the meal, she casually brings it up that she has a child and has never mentioned it before in prior conversations on prior dates.

How would you react? Would you think nothing of it or find the extra special treatment as an ulterior motive and manipulative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,341,031 times
Are you proudvoterofobama's boyfriend

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-04-2010 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
During the meal, she casually brings it up that she has a child and has never mentioned it before in prior conversations on prior dates.

How would you react?
fourth date? i would probably sh*t a brick.

but i am young, and i think age matters in all this. it is one thing, for a 25-year old man to spend his prime years raising some other guy's kid from a toddler. I think it would be much easier to be an older guy, dating a mom who had somewhat grown children.

Quote:
Would you think nothing of it or find the extra special treatment as an ulterior motive and manipulative?
eh.. slightly manipulative, but not a big deal.

Last edited by le roi; 08-04-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,173,047 times
i would say "ohhh". she would flip out, hit me with something. i would then leave

speaking from experience...!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
Enjoy the meal go home and think about it
Don't drink any wine ask for coffee and leave early

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,308,988 times
She has probably been shown men don't like to date women
with kids, and she wants to see your reaction in a controlled
environment. It also means she's interested in you.

When you have children, you don't want them getting attached
to a new person and then get hurt when they leave. Kids take
everything personal.

Her first priority is her child, as it should be, if ya'll fail she still
has the kid.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,929 times
Meh. It sounds like she's into you, and wanted to soften you up so that you wouldn't freak out and bail the moment she dropped the K-bomb.

Manipulative? I don't think so, but I guess I can see the argument. Maybe. With a broad definition of "manipulative".

Look, if you're into her, then go for it. If not, then respectfully end things. Either way, this isn't a situation that either requires or justifies a freak-out. It's not like she has a third arm or something.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:46 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,285,967 times
Up to you if you want to continue going out with her regardless of having a kid or not. As for the whole candle light thing, I wonder if she did it to soften the moment when she told you about her kid or if she just did it because she wanted to, how nice .

Old 08-04-2010, 11:46 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
She has probably been shown men don't like to date women
with kids, and she wants to see your reaction in a controlled
environment. It also means she's interested in you.

When you have children, you don't want them getting attached
to a new person and then get hurt when they leave. Kids take
everything personal.

Her first priority is her child, as it should be, if ya'll fail she still
has the kid.
+1, good answer!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Let's look at a hypothetical situation...

You've started dating a woman and have been out on two or three occasions.

She invites you over for a home cooked meal and goes all out and wants to pamper you like it's Valentine's Day. You're quite flattered at the invitation. You even bring a bottle of wine.

How would you react? Would you think nothing of it or find the extra special treatment as an ulterior motive and manipulative?
I would find it very manipulative, and deceptive as well. The home cooked meal and special attention may have been genuine, but I for one would doubt they would've happened if she had no child or if she were not yet to reveal the existence of the child.

I would feel deceived and even betrayed, and most probably end the dating relationship given that after 2 or 3 dates, I would have invested little and wouldn't lose much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships