Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,922 times

Advertisements

two questions on the subject:

first, although this has been asked by others here before, do you think that having specific "requirements" regarding physical appearance is shallow?

second, how logical (or not) do you think it is to dismiss someone you might otherwise be completely compatible with, based only on that factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Don't judge...period.

It comes with age.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Don't judge...period.

It comes with age.
Amen sister!

Old 07-31-2010, 11:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Preferences? Sure!

Requirements? Ehh....

Sure, I would love a guy who is 6'6, has full sleeve tattoos and dresses like a stereotypical 50s greaser...but I've only found one of those in my life and he wasn't a very nice person.

My hubby is 6'3 (close ), no tattoos and is a huge techno-dork and I absolutely love him. Personality and compatibility is soooo much more important than looks.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Preferences? Sure!

Requirements? Ehh....

Sure, I would love a guy who is 6'6, has full sleeve tattoos and dresses like a stereotypical 50s greaser...but I've only found one of those in my life and he wasn't a very nice person.

My hubby is 6'3 (close ), no tattoos and is a huge techno-dork and I absolutely love him. Personality and compatibility is soooo much more important than looks.
6'6" with sleeves and a greaser look is pretty damn specific.

I've never been that specific. Good lord I've got my type but damn.......

Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
6'6" with sleeves and a greaser look is pretty damn specific.

I've never been that specific. Good lord I've got my type but damn.......

I just mentioned my 'perfect' preference, that doesn't mean I'm going to turn anyone down who doesn't fit that mold

I forgot to mention he must have his pilots license (and instrument rating, preferably) plus know how to build a car from the ground up and be a good horseback rider as well.

A gal can dream, right

Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
Dating requirements can be anything. It's shallow, but it's people's right to be shallow.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:12 AM

12 posts, read 29,451 times
The only requirement I have regarding physicality of a partner is that I have to be attracted to them.

I don't have any specific absolutes (ex: "I won't date anyone shorter then me" or "must have brown eyes") but if I'm not attracted to them, I won't date them. Now, I'm not saying that attraction can't grown or change, but sex is an important aspect in my relationships.

I don't believe that having preferences is shallow, but you really have to have an open mind. I believe people that make blanket statements about partner preference are just cheating themselves long term, because they can easily let the perfect partner slip by if they don't fit their terms.

I don't think it's shallow to want a desirable partner. Everyone has the right to choose their mates based on criteria that's important to them. And if looks are more important to someone then intelligence or interests who am I to judge?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,816,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maery View Post
The only requirement I have regarding physicality of a partner is that I have to be attracted to them.

I don't have any specific absolutes (ex: "I won't date anyone shorter then me" or "must have brown eyes") but if I'm not attracted to them, I won't date them. Now, I'm not saying that attraction can't grown or change, but sex is an important aspect in my relationships.

I don't believe that having preferences is shallow, but you really have to have an open mind. I believe people that make blanket statements about partner preference are just cheating themselves long term, because they can easily let the perfect partner slip by if they don't fit their terms.

I don't think it's shallow to want a desirable partner. Everyone has the right to choose their mates based on criteria that's important to them. And if looks are more important to someone then intelligence or interests who am I to judge?
Yes, this.

I have my personal preference, but also find they change quite often. Typically I like men with dark brown or black eyes, tall, slim, nice smile and eyes. Boyishly handsome. I am not attracted to huge muscles. "athletic", sure. Like a guy who runs, or plays basketball. Weight is not an issue for me, unless they are morbidly obese. But I can handle "overweight". I don't know if any of you remember the show called King of Queens? Kevin James was overweight, and I found him VERY attractive. He's also hilarious in his stand-up routing. I think he just lost a bunch of weight, though.

There was a time that I hated facial hair. Now, suddenly, I'm finding it kinds sexy when they have a goatee or short (just a little past "stubble") beard.

The kind of guys I was attracted to in college, are not who I'm attracted to, now. I didn't care about intelligence, thoughtfulness, compatibility, back then. I was shallow as hell, but very unsatisfied, and usually the relationship was over just months after it began (because I would end it).

The guys I have dated do not fit the profile of my "ideal" physical man, since college. The guy I married (and divorced) certainly didn't! But I find as I get older, attraction builds as I get to know a guy, and I realize, hey we click! That's what happened with my most recent ex-boyfriend.

I do have one physical aspect that I'm kind of stubborn about, and I hate myself for it, but am trying get past it. I know it's a touchy issue for many men (get your minds out of the gutter, I'm not talking about that!), but it's "height". I'm trying to work on that... I'm not very tall, just average at 5'6, but I still want to be shorter than the man, if I'm in heels. So, since I don't wear more than 2 in heels, often 5'8 is kind of my standard. Like I said, I'm working on it, though! Like maery posted, I don't want to let the perfect guy for me to slip away, because of some stupid list in my head.

Physical attraction is very important, though, especially in the initial stages of a relationship, but even if that is not present right away, that attraction very often does develop over time. But it's the other things that are what makes things really "click".

Last edited by Neemy; 08-01-2010 at 12:56 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:46 AM

12 posts, read 29,451 times
I think it's fantastic that you brought up the mutability of what we find attractive, because I too have also noticed changes in my tastes over the years. Especially the facial hair one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships