Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You are winner! I am 33, have no children and probably will get a vasectomy this year, I take pride in not being one of these walking messes I see at the store with 3, 4 kids that can't even take care of themselves, much less somebody else.

Tired of supporting all these futureless children with my tax dollars. Some of these parents should be arrested!
I agree about the parent part, but you've got to feel some compassion for these kids, if it weren't for tax dollars most of them wouldn't eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You are winner! I am 33, have no children and probably will get a vasectomy this year, I take pride in not being one of these walking messes I see at the store with 3, 4 kids that can't even take care of themselves, much less somebody else.

Tired of supporting all these futureless children with my tax dollars. Some of these parents should be arrested!
Agree. The father of modern conservatism, Senator Barry Goldwater, lived his belief that if you bring children into this world you'd better be able to afford raising them. In his day, no self-respecting conservative would do otherwise.

Not a thing wrong with vasectomy if you're sure you'll never want to be a father, or have finished fathering whatever children you wish to have. It's an easy procedure, in/out in an hour, and really no worse than a trip to the dentist. More guys should do it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
its a choice, its as socially abnormal as being gay.

you're 26, everyone will tell you, anything permanent you do to your body now, you may regret in the future. if you were 40 and you'd made your desicions and tasted success and failure enough to make an experienced desicion, you would be met with less contention against the subject.

you're 26, i believe your doctor said you need a psychiatrist because to me your post may have the words of "i want to adopt because i want to do the right thing" but your tone implies that you have been influenced through the ignorance of other people into your desicion. so i think your doctor may have detected the same implied self deprecation and asked that you talk it out with a professional prior to your desicion.

its like those guys who get surgically implanted spikes in their head because its cool, or large loops in their ears to help them fit in. this could be a decision that makes you feel like you're doing your part for humanity. but when you meet the right person, your mind may change.

social pressure is hard, think before you act.
There isn't, nor has there ever been any social pressure. My dad was adopted and explained how it made him feel to go to a loving non-biological family. I want to give another child that same opportunity. Its just a difference of opinion between you and I. You believe that I'm doing this out of social pressure when I'm merely being considerate for those less fortunate. Why would I selectively subject myself to social ridicule if I didnt firmly believe in what I did?

Oh and for those curious, the procedure took 30 minutes. It was the NN-NS procedure. No needle, no scalpel.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't think it's all that odd. My friend had her tubes tied at 23 just because she KNEW she never wanted kids. It was hard finding a Dr to do it and in the end she fell back on a physical issue she had as a child that she said she didn't want to pass on to any offspring (better to lie/exaggarate and get what you want I suppose). In her 50's now she never had a moments regret. And I know at least one guy in his 20's who got a vasectomy too and he will never regret it. I guess I understand why people think you might, especially if you are very young and not that mature, but otherwise who cares if you regret it? Not me

Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Single guy with a vasectomy; socially abnormal according to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
How is "I don't want biological kids" not a legitimate explanation?
Yes you are right, that is an explanation. But it's not one most women his age group might want to hear. So, I would say again, he is not the norm, and that being the case may be a turn off to many young women. For the women that don't want to have a child, ever, he would be just what they are looking for. But, I bet those women are few and far between. That's only my opinion, darn, I've been wrong before...

Old 08-12-2010, 12:46 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Yes you are right, that is an explanation. But it's not one most women his age group might want to hear. So, I would say again, he is not the norm, and that being the case may be a turn off to many young women. For the women that don't want to have a child, ever, he would be just what they are looking for. But, I bet those women are few and far between. That's only my opinion, darn, I've been wrong before...
20% in the U.S.
30% in many parts of Europe (Germany)

"Nonparent/childless by choice" rates are climbing as more and more singles feel freer to express their views and hold tightly to their values and beliefs, like Mike here. His generation will have it a lot easier than did mine. "Childless by choice" is rapidly gaining momentum.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 AM

380 posts, read 795,740 times
Try being a women and openly expressing your desire to not have a child, trust me its much worse. I wanted to have my tubes tied at 21 (with no children), my doctor refused. In Maryland you have to be 23 or already have 3 children. I think its ridiculous. My doctor judged me pretty harshly after I expressed my want to have my tubes tied. Needless to say I switched doctors.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
OP, there's absolutely nothing wrong with you getting snipped at age 26. As many other posters said, it's your body and your choice. Is it a little unusual for someone your age? Sure. But so what?

I am a female, and I knew at age 16 that I never wanted to have a baby. Adoption would have been my choice, had I later decided to have children. I remember my mom telling me at that age, "Oh, [PJ] having babies is the most wonderful and natural thing in the world. You'll want to have babies some day." Well, I'm 56 now, and never, ever felt that desire. I've been happy and fulfilled all my life, sans progeny.

BTW, I do love children as much as the next person! But no regrets about not having my own.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I am a female, and I knew at age 16 that I never wanted to have a baby. Adoption would have been my choice, had I later decided to have children. I remember my mom telling me at that age, "Oh, [PJ] having babies is the most wonderful and natural thing in the world. You'll want to have babies some day." Well, I'm 56 now, and never, ever felt that desire. I've been happy and fulfilled all my life, sans progeny.

BTW, I do love children as much as the next person! But no regrets about not having my own.
You, m'dear, rock it! And I hope to continue along the same path and have the same attitude one day. Thing is, by all other accounts, I'm quite old-fashioned. I want the husband and the quiet home life. I just want to be the only one who rocks his world (and vice versa).

Old 08-14-2010, 02:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I'm a young, single male who opted to have a vasectomy at my current age of 26. Not only have my family and friends given me a hard time (instead of just accepting my decisions) but one of my prospective urologist advised I see a psychotherapist for possible mental issues. Needless to say I opted for a different surgeon.
I'm still trying to figure out why a doctor would do in vitro fertilization on a single women on public assitance who already had 6 children thru in vitro fertilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships