Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
There will never be total honesty, that's a given. Human nature does forbid it.
Then you've answered your own question, so much for the circular arguements...shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
WFP; I do find that most people cannot handle the truth, they seem to either think you are stupid, weak and they blame you for your situation- which is sometimes rather out of your control (bad people in the area you live in, for eg and can't easily move) and end up rejecting and gossiping about you. Many don't tell things as they really are so when someone does, it sounds ''shocking '' when you are simply trying to find a solution or want to improve things.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
WFP; I do find that most people cannot handle the truth, they seem to either think you are stupid, weak and they blame you for your situation- which is sometimes rather out of your control (bad people in the area you live in, for eg and can't easily move) and end up rejecting and gossiping about you. Many don't tell things as they really are so when someone does, it sounds ''shocking '' when you are simply trying to find a solution or want to improve things.
............... or just plain full of crap.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
This is just an observation, not a negative rant.

Why is it in our society we say all these well-meaning things, yet few people actually follow them? Why do people seek to manipulate you into liking/accepting them?

Wouldn't it be better if some kind of microchip was implanted into people's brains, to make them do as they say?
Probably all of us are cowards and hypocrites at some point in time in our lives. Pushing blame to others, afraid to accept blame for things that happen in our lives, willing to hurt others in order to get ahead. It's natural. But the people who are the most dangerous are the ones without a conscience.

These are the people who have the uncanny ability to RATIONALIZE away all shred of humanity and decency. Dissonance between reality and perception.

Our higher-order ability to use logic and rationale is a gift that evolution has bestowed upon us. This makes possible the technology and inventions that have propelled us into the 21st century. Unfortunately, the flip side of this coin is that we are able to act like total turds.

Then there are the judgmental bastages who enjoy pushing their morality on others without inspecting their own hateful, imperfect lives. Another form of rationalization and hypocrisy.

At this point I can concede that I hate interacting with other human beings - whether they be bad or good in the classical sense. Not because I'm bitter. I'm just tired. The most hilarious thing in the universe is that most people (good or bad) tend to see themselves as better than average - mathematically, this does not compute.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
I don't think most people are cowards and hypocrites. Most of the people I know stand up for what they believe in, and I don't have friends that are hypocrites.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Why are most people cowards and hypocrits, well because thats the way this country was founded. These are the values the founding fathers brought from their home lands. This is the history of the world and the human condition.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Hypocrites: Ancient Greek physician or God of those who pretend to have admirable principles but behave otherwise?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Remember Mel Gibson in the movie "What Women Want" where he could read their minds ? That would be fun for about 30 days but I have a feeling I'd want the ability to turn it off. Not sure I want to hear what everyone else thinks about me or life in general.

Luckily as adults, many of us can filter out some of the stupid or bad things we would like to tell people before we actually say it.
I work with adults that worry about how a 7 yr old insult them. I just look at them,"Are you serious?!...he's 7!!!" It's called overlooking the dumb. Or selective hearing.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Or selective hearing.
That's what guys develop the day after they get married.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Did you forget to take out the trash?.....(silence).....She raises her voice...(RAKIN??)...He raises his voice ....WHAT?!....(she's mad)..Why did you yell at me...(throws hands up)..Oh good grief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships