Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Ouch! But yeah. Whenever I ran into some "successful" gent, I always took a step back and learned how he came upon that success. All too often, it comes from stepping on people, exploiting others, or some other way of being self-centered or greedy. Yeah, I'm an atheist, but Dorothy Parker said it well: "If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people he gave it to."
And then there are the truly successful nice people like my old boss who said "Money is like manure, it's no good unless it's spread around".

I would not call him sexy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Ouch! But yeah. Whenever I ran into some "successful" gent, I always took a step back and learned how he came upon that success. All too often, it comes from stepping on people, exploiting others, or some other way of being self-centered or greedy. Yeah, I'm an atheist, but Dorothy Parker said it well: "If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people he gave it to."
The fallacy in this argument? Poor people step on people and exploit others as well, and can also be guilty of being self-centered and greedy.

I've known wealthy people who would give you the shirt off their backs, and I've known poorer souls who would sell their grandmothers to the Hottentots for $200. The amount of money a money has is not a measurement of character any more than the color of his eyes.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
The rich are different from you and me
They are more selfish

Wealth, poverty and compassion: The rich are different from you and me | The Economist

Interesting article. I tend to agree with Avienne.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The rich are different from you and me
They are more selfish

Interesting article. I tend to agree with Avienne.
I tend to agree with the old saying, it's not money that corrupts. It's the love or lust for money.

You don't have to have money to be a bad person, it's the worship of money that warps our sense of right and wrong.

When my son was in Scouts they did their annual canned food drive for the food bank. The people who always donated the most were the ones down in the Barrio who had very little to give.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
It is always people without money that claim all people with money are selfish. Maybe they just work hard..or someone in their family did. If it weren't for the wealthy, where would we be? The wealthy pay most of the taxes and support most of the charities.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
It is always people without money that claim all people with money are selfish. Maybe they just work hard..or someone in their family did. If it weren't for the wealthy, where would we be? The wealthy pay most of the taxes and support most of the charities.
You're wasting your time. People have a natural tendency to denigrate what they don't have.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
The wealthy pay most of the taxes and support most of the charities.
You mean I should appreciate some of MY money going to charities THROUGH them...? Nah, I'd rather not be robbed of it and give it myself. Not to mention there would be no need for charities should our labor not be robbed.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You mean I should appreciate some of MY money going to charities THROUGH them...? Nah, I'd rather not be robbed of it and give it myself. Not to mention there would be no need for charities should our labor not be robbed.
tru-dat.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
you learnt at 'the track'???? Dude, 50K ain't that much.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're wasting your time. People have a natural tendency to denigrate what they don't have.
Yea, I see what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships