Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,052,648 times

Advertisements

I was reading the paper and getting coffee at an iHop this morning. In came a couple, in their fifties, and sat in a booth side by side, next to each other. In came a second couple and sat in the booth behind them, across from each other.

My wife and I usually sit across from each other in dining booths. But on more romantic occassions in nicer restaurants, I recall us sitting side by side.

I never really though much about this, but what, if anything do the different seating arrangements indicate?

If you were on a first date with a gal, would you sit across or next to? What would a gal prefer? What would a guy prefer? If you've been married 18 years, like me, does it even matter?

I prefer straight across because it makes for better conversation and I like to look at my beautiful wife. If I was young and newly dating, I guess I'd rather be side by side so I can hold hands and feel some body contact, and maybe get some smooching as well.

What say you all?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I've heard that women prefer next to men, because they perceive that as closeness, while men tend to choose to sit across from women, because they perceive being face-to-face as paying attention to them.

I like sitting next to my husband but don't really care one way or the other.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
I prefer to sit at a table with him on my right. That's my better ear. Plus, we're not quite across from each other, but have the advantage of being able to look each other in the eyes, hold hands, and bump knees. It's both across from and next to.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
We sit across from each other unless we are out with others and then we sit side-by-side.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,275 times
Personally, when I see a couple sitting side-by-side, it screams INFATUATION--the fact that they HAVE to be touching every second they're together, and can't even have a meal without the physical contact. Yeah, I'm judgemental when it comes to that, but I'd never call anyone out on it.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,742 times
My SO and I met for our first date after about a fortnight communicating---and clicking beyond belief on levels either of us had only imagined possible in our earlier lives---through the Website on which we met late last February.

I arrived early and waited for her. When she arrived at last and approached me with her beauteous eyes and smile---not to mention a walk that would stop traffic assuming the vehicles were driven by real men, that is---and planted three kisses on my mouth, we went inside. I faded back a bit to watch her walk once again (and I admitted as much to her in due course). Then, we found a booth. Large, curved seat. I helped her into the seat, then went to the other side with an idea of sliding toward her to sit next to her.

She didn't know that in that moment.

"Please, come and sit next to me," she almost pleaded.

I had no problem agreeing to that request.

(We're convinced the restaurant needed about six months to clear the atomic fallout from a first date that turned into about nine or ten dates right there for the entire evening. And we pity them---we're going back there for dinner on the anniversary of that date. That's how special the restaurant is to us.)

We've been that way dining out ever since. Or dining in, for that matter. (We're enthusiastic cooks; put us in the kitchen together and the place becomes the second most romantic and, dare I say, sexy room in the house.)

And we're going to stay that way together.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I was reading the paper and getting coffee at an iHop this morning. In came a couple, in their fifties, and sat in a booth side by side, next to each other. In came a second couple and sat in the booth behind them, across from each other.

My wife and I usually sit across from each other in dining booths. But on more romantic occassions in nicer restaurants, I recall us sitting side by side.

I never really though much about this, but what, if anything do the different seating arrangements indicate?

If you were on a first date with a gal, would you sit across or next to? What would a gal prefer? What would a guy prefer? If you've been married 18 years, like me, does it even matter?

I prefer straight across because it makes for better conversation and I like to look at my beautiful wife. If I was young and newly dating, I guess I'd rather be side by side so I can hold hands and feel some body contact, and maybe get some smooching as well.

What say you all?

Steve

depends on which tv has the game on... lol

next to usually, unless we are with the kids, then across so we can corral

Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,256 times
We always sit across from each other. Even at a square table. It is easier to talk when straight across from someone.

My sister used to sit in the truck with her SO, right next to him. For god sakes, move over.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,479 times
It depends. When you eat, do you have to have your elbows fully out thereby knocking your partner out cold and then getting to eat his dinner while he's on the floor?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Across from at a booth, but I prefer a table where I sit next to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships