Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 AM

433 posts, read 1,369,752 times

Advertisements

I like talking to people and have trouble making new friends, but most of the time the only time I talk to people is when I plan it before and say what I want to say when I see them. But if I see someone and I didn't expect to see them there (like somewhere at school) or when someone just shows up suddenly and unexpected near and try's to make friendly chit-chat, I don't show much interest or enthusiasm in talking because I didn't expect it. Anyone understand what I'm saying?

How can I stop this and be prepared to talk all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
i get what you are saying, but you cant expect to have every conversation planned. life is just not predictable that way. you need to stop thinking so much about it.
conversations usually happen naturally.
someone says hello, you say hello back. they may ask how you are or talk about the weather, you respond. you in turn ask them a question and they answer and so on.

i mean dont know how to explain it any other way, and i am not trying to talk down to you like a 5 yr old...

you cant be "prepared" per se. you just need to relax and be yourself. maybe you see them holding a book and ask if they like it etc.

practice makes perfect. maybe next time you are on line for something, strike up some chit chat with a person near you.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
Default oh man(or woman)

can i relate to this BIG TIME!!! I've had several issues at the office in fact because of it

Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,830 times
you do one of two things, steer the conversation toward something you know about and carry it, or steer it toward something they know about and listen...
If it's someone you know thru a friend you can use them to get started, "Hi, aren't you Lisa", "I think I met you at Jason's party" Have you seen Kim and Jason since then"......

Old 08-28-2010, 01:39 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
...Don't you just... talk?

I mean, you can never plan how a person will reply to you anyway, so, you start off with a Hi, and roll with it, no need to be prepared.

In my experience, you get very far with openness a smile and being polite.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
I had similar feelings when I was in my teens because I would get nervous about how to respond to an unexpected conversation and I used to blush really bad and also had a fear of blushing which made it more likely to happen. I think it's just a matter of practice and the more that you do anything the better you get at it. You shouldn't think about preparing to talk because you're making yourself feel like you have to pass some sort of test which will just make the whole thing more difficult. It has to be a natural response to whatever someone has presented to you. I would also suggest that the best way to get over this fear would be for you to initiate conversations yourself instead of waiting for one to happen. I guarantee with enough practice you'll start feeling comfortable about it. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:57 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times
I'm surprized to find this is a problem for anyone. If you really listen to what is being said maybe you'll have a better idea how to respond. You don't always have to be the one to keep the conversation going. If you are interested in the person you are talking to, there should be a whole list of thing that would be interesting to both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships