Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

i've never heard of a lucid dream. but i looked it up, and yes, i used to have those all the time when i was a kid.

yes to the title question as well, which in fact occured last night

it is strange to see this thread, because i rarely have dreams anymore, like maybe twice a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I believe everybody dreams--some just forget.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
my short term memory must be impaired.
Many people don't remember their dreams. I vaguely remember dreaming last night about a leaking ceiling and finding numerous crickets in my bed. Many times I won't remember at all, although I know I dreamed. I believe people forget almost all of their dreams literally within seconds of waking up, and they rarely remember the dreams they had earlier in the night, which tend to be mundane (going to work, driving somewhere, nothing memorable). The dreams you have before you wake up in the morning tend to be more vivid and unusual, but your brain doesn't tend to remember them. I think dreams are just your brain's way of converting short-term memories into long-term ones, telling strange stories to cement stuff in there. And then you wake up and have a data dump.

If you want to try to remember your dreams, keep a journal and pencil by your bed. As soon as you wake up, write down everything you remember. You might not remember anything, but this practice helps you focus on remembering. Your brain will know that you want to remember. Practicing lucid dream techniques can help too. As you fall asleep, tell yourself several times that you will be dreaming soon and will realize it and be aware. This takes practice, but I did this in a group and most of us got pretty good at it.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I believe everybody dreams--some just forget.
You only remember a certain dream if you wake up shortly after it.
So if someone typically wakes up a few times in the night, they will have more dream recollection typically than someone who sleeps right through or wakes up once. There are a range of other factors that effect dream recollection, such as the stages and quality of sleep you get. Generally the more healthy a person is and active and variety they have in their lives, the more dream recollection.

Last edited by dave nz; 09-21-2010 at 07:02 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Have You Ever Realized That You Were Dreaming And Then Tried To Have Sex With Someone In Your Dream?
Do you look in the mirror in the morning and wonder how you got that slap mark across the face?

Now that would be a realistic dream.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
WhyShouldIWorry wrote:
Quote:
Do you look in the mirror in the morning and wonder how you got that slap mark across the face?

Now that would be a realistic dream.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was a little concerned the other morning when I woke up and the word "LOSER" had been written across my forehead with bright red lipstick and the impression of a high heeled shoe was deeply embedded in one buttock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships