Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:26 PM

176 posts, read 522,742 times

Advertisements

Please tell me why a man thinks a woman is flirting with him if

she is being humorous?

Why do men take it as flirting if a woman is joking around and just having fun?

I honestly can't understand this

I've had several experiences where I was joking and laughing with a man and then he takes it as something completely different

Men = Mars

Women = Venus

??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
Because that specific man is interested in you...

Men chase women, its the natural order of things.

If he expresses interest just let him know directly that you are taken/not interested/want to remain friends.

if these men are throwing themselves at you, then you obviously take care of yourself and have a very desirable attitude. This is what men look for in women. Take it as a compliment, let them know you're not interested, and move on with your life.

There are other women who spend their whole lives figuring out why men don't want them, consider yourself blessed.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:15 PM

93 posts, read 168,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post

Men = Mars

Women = Venus

??????
YES.

It's because you guys don't ever really do anything to indicate if you like someone. So it's your own fault when someone is thinking, mabye, does she, is she... If women were more direct like men you wouldnt be experiencing this problem.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:17 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:

she is being humorous?

I've had several experiences where I was joking and laughing with a man and then he takes it as something completely different

Men = Mars

Women = Venus

??????
You have to be careful attempting humor. Many people lack a sense of humor. Many more people's humor will not mesh with yours. So, since they may not understand your attempt at jocularity, they try to reason why you are doing what you are doing.

People are pattern seeking. This means they will look to any event and try to fit it into a known quantity. Thus images of the Virgin Mary in Toasted cheese sandwiches.

These guys you meet are unused to banter and joking with a little known lady as being just innocent fun. They assign your behavior to being a come-on. Pattern seeking. It also is a fact that people want to see things that will be beneficial to them. Con men have known this for years.

There you go and no planets were ascending in a sun phase to explain it. And Elvis has left the building.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:

she is being humorous?

Men = Mars

Women = Venus

??????
Precisely what do you mean and what are you doing? Are you talking about telling him knock-knock jokes, doing PG-rated one-liners for giggles, practical jokes, etc. or are you doing something physical like jumping on his back, pinching him, grabbing him, etc. or telling him X-rated jokes?

The first category is not flirting because anybody has the potential to do it but the second category is, in my opinion, flirting because you're crossing a psychological divide.

Also, what is the context? Is this at work, at a party, while walking down the street, rock climbing, sitting in an airplane together, etc.?

And, are you single? If he knows your available things can take a totally different meaning than if you are in a relationship.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:16 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
I think it's because men are biologically programmed to look for opportunities to mate. From a strictly propogate-the-species perspective, it's better for a man to see opportunities for mating where none exist than to fail to see one that does. It can be annoying, I know. It's just a fact of human life though.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
I would strongly advise you to join a monastery, since you obviously are a threat to mankind.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I would strongly advise you to join a monastery, since you obviously are a threat to mankind.

But I'd advocate nunnery. If she joined the monastery, she'd be a threat to monkind LMAO

Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Most people don't make a point of talking to me. Most people don't talk to people they don't like. So if you talk to me, I assume you must like me.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:03 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,904 times
'A question for Men' ???

You should never ever ask Men for advice on Relationships, Dating, or why we Do what we Do.....honestly we haven't got a clue

See below v

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships