Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:09 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like my job is a vortex or black hole that's sucking any idea of a personal life into it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, even what people would generally consider negative. I love despite the fact that I'm an unglamorous restaurant worker in a tacky chain specializing in chicken wings and puns when I'm a vegetarian and I have little to eat, I love it despite the fact that I have a connective tissue disorder and have to work long hours on my feet, I love it despite the fact that I work Friday and Saturday nights and have to try to plan things to do on Monday (my usual day off). I love it despite the suffocating rules and silly uniform. What I hate is that I have no life outside of it.

The only people I go out with really are the girls I work with (who often drive me home since I can't drive), and men I meet at my job. Needless to say this is far from sufficient. I'm tired of living and breathing my job. I feel like even if I met someone outside of work, I'd have nothing else to talk about. When I was in a relationship, I felt I worked too many hours and that he was probably sick of me having nothing else to talk about but my job. Not to mention that I'm afraid people will judge me for my job and I get annoyed with people questioning why I didn't stay at the high tier university I went to and questioning my life choices.

Even doing things like being on internet forums I miss. When I'm home, I'm too exhausted to do things I enjoy. I like to cook, I like to read, I like to watch movies and I want to have people to do it with too. I have one close friend outside my job and sometimes I"ll break contact with her for two weeks or more at a time and she'll get upset because she sees me hanging with my work friends and doesn't believe that I'm not hanging with her because I'm exhausted. My work friends live by me and we go out after work and they drive me back and forth and home. I really am too tired to go to Manhattan or Queens on my day off using public transport.

Sorry if this sounds like a pity party, but if having two days off in a row wasn't such a major luxury on the rare times it comes I'd be so much happier because having a semblance of a personal life would be possible!

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 09-19-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
well I would go back to school take some coummity college classes and go do something you like and enjoy. why stay at a job you already hate when you can work towards something better and actually enjoy going to work.

I would also work at getting your DL it is a valuable asset even if you do not own a car. it will also be good cause you can later down the road you can get your own set of wheels and won't have to rely on anyone for a ride.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well I would go back to school take some coummity college classes and go do something you like and enjoy. why stay at a job you already hate when you can work towards something better and actually enjoy going to work.
The problem is I don't hate my job. I love it. I'm the girl who's always there, the girl that management says other girls should be like, the girl who takes every aspect of a silly job very seriously. I just don't like what it's done to my personal life.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Working in chain restaurants is tough. When things look up, you need to find another job. Only a new job can change the status quo.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
The problem is I don't hate my job. I love it. I'm the girl who's always there, the girl that management says other girls should be like, the girl who takes every aspect of a silly job very seriously. I just don't like what it's done to my personal life.
hmm maybe work your way up to a management position at your curent job then you will get to make the schedule and get a better choice of hours/shifts and make some extra $$$ while your at it.

you might have to go back to school to get into managment but if you love your job atleast you will be moving up in it and thats always good. Some large chain companys do put their people through school and pay most of the cost if they see potential management material in them.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Have you considered placing some sort of platonic personals ad looking for an activity partner or some sort of friend with similar interests in your area?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm maybe work your way up to a management position at your curent job then you will get to make the schedule and get a better choice of hours/shifts and make some extra $$$ while your at it.
I considered that, but at my restaurant the managers make less than the girls, besides needling girls about how they wear their shorts and makeup doesn't seem like it's cut out for me.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
You need what is referred to as 'work/life balance' and only you can control that. Cut back on those 6 day work weeks if you can or find another restuarant that can offer such.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Have you considered placing some sort of platonic personals ad looking for an activity partner or some sort of friend with similar interests in your area?
No I haven't. I mean, I have my profile on various dating websites, but they lose my interest in about a week because I get more messages than I can keep up with and I just don't have the time. I wish I could take a month off and just chillax and do things I actually want to do. I feel like even if I contacted someone with similar interests in the hope of developing more friends and a social life, someone with a 9-5 or a different schedule would find it so difficult it wouldn't work out.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly that you didn't get your high schhool diploma? That would be first on the list if you don't have it

Secondly, I worked at a career job for years and decided I'd had enough of the 70 hour work weeks. So, I took a cut in pay by half of what I was making and went to work for the government. I had to make consessions somewhere and I made them. But the new job discouraged working more than 40 hours a week. Fine by me. The pay was half, but the medical was great and it gave me time to develop relationships with friends and people not related to my job and do some volunteer work, fix the house up and work in the garden.

So, essentially you need to decide what you are willing to do to make what you want happen and only you can decide. Do you need to move someplace less expensive or get a roommate, go back to school ...only you know, but I can tell you this, it's not going to miraculously happen YOU actually have to do something and make some changes nothing rewarding will just fall in your lap Nothing rewarding comes without some sacrifices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships