Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 06:44 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times

Advertisements

Men and Women :

If you were involved in a relationship with someone who was a twin in terms of temperament, intellect, affection, outlook, instinct/survival skills, libido, money handling skills, social skills, nurturing ability, humor, mechanical ability, etc., would it be bliss, a constant struggle, boring, exhilirating, etc?

For me, I think it would be a tad boring, but maybe not too bad; however, we wouldn't have enough closet space because I'm a total clothes horse! But, I would want someone who has a different intellect from mine. I am artistic (without an artist's temperament) and would want someone who "gets" algrebra/calculus or someone with good deductive powers. And, it would be disasterous if he had my mechanical skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,308 times
Opposites do attract. I know of a couple who have nothing in common with each other, except they both like having fun. You'd be surprised to see them together, yet they have been together for 4 years and still going strong.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 PM

292 posts, read 993,777 times
I think it would be great. However I've come to realize it is probably impossible to find a similar person as me. So I go for the opposite... artistic earth mother or urban commado chic.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I'd go insane if my spouse was like me - I'm a little ADHD, OCD, and all the other initials. Flighty, impatient, a little messy, disorganized - but I laugh and have lots of friends and have a good time with life. My spouse is very, very settled...the quintessential pharmacist, very brainy/nerdy, serious, organized almost too much, a neat freak, a loner in a lot of ways. Definitely marches to a different beat, but so do I....and our drummers are polar opposites. If we were alike we would either bore each other to death, or there wouldn't be an empty spot in the house or garage for all of the unfinished projects! We had some serious adjustments to make when we hooked up - I had to try and be a little neater and spouse had to try and lighten up a little...so far it's working well. I'm sure both of us wish the other would change a little more, but whatever....we have completely opposite interests. Come to think of it, I don't know HOW we work out!

Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 AM

434 posts, read 1,737,269 times
Actually my husband is my "twin". We have a few differences (I'm better with bills, he's better at dinners) But aside from a few of the "learned behaviors" we are a lot alike. We like the same movies, books, same taste in cars, furniture, etc. We are also both very independent and confident. I LOVE that we are so much alike. Yeah opposites attract but then it is so much harder to communicate and live an every day life. I HATE drama and with someone very different from me it seemed we always had drama. I like that my husband and I are actually friends...that we WANT to do things together because we like the same things. At the same time I can tell him "I'm going to work in the garage I need some time alone" and he just says "cool have fun." You can't imagine how nice it is not to have a clingy guy or a jealous guy or all of the other things that I'm not. We are very much alike and that allows us to communicate with almost no effort. When I have dated opposites in the past it was like learning another language to try to communicate. (Plus what if he liked Pelosi, Chinese food, PT Cruisers or doilies and lace everywhere? EEEEK) I almost never have to compromise or "give in" because we were already on the same page to begin with.

Of course this was the guy I wanted to MARRY and get old with. I'll admit in my twenties it was more fun to have the opposite and all the passion and drama. But that seems to usually end badly (mostly because after a while all of the things about him that were INTERESTING and DIFFERENT in the beginning become STUPID and WRONG later.) I have had my fill of drama. When I married the hubby I knew I would only have peace, support, love, friendship, and a lifetime of discussions filled with "I think we should blah blah blah.." ..... "yeah I think we should blah blah blah too" .... "cool lets watch a movie,"....."that's the one I wanted to watch too..."

Ahhhhhh

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Men and Women :

If you were involved in a relationship with someone who was a twin in terms of temperament, intellect, affection, outlook, instinct/survival skills, libido, money handling skills, social skills, nurturing ability, humor, mechanical ability, etc., would it be bliss, a constant struggle, boring, exhilirating, etc?

For me, I think it would be a tad boring, but maybe not too bad; however, we wouldn't have enough closet space because I'm a total clothes horse! But, I would want someone who has a different intellect from mine. I am artistic (without an artist's temperament) and would want someone who "gets" algrebra/calculus or someone with good deductive powers. And, it would be disasterous if he had my mechanical skills.

I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with a twin, although there are great things about me, there are things about me that I hate, as well...

anyway, I would like to be in a relationship that was compatible as far as hobbies....lets say I would be the student, he would be the teacher, as I own a hunger for knowledge. I am also artistic, with still a lot to learn....so would welcome someone who is savvy in history and objective. you see, some things could be very beneficial...

They say opposites attract each other and I have been in relationships where we were completely opposite and it was no fun...interesting to say the least...

therefore, I conclude in saying I would welcome a compatible relationship, in that we were along the same, shall we say, colors, but his were much more defined...refined and intellectual....not to mention, compatible spiritually, and politcally as those two subjects could be defined as grounds for divorce...

Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 PM

328 posts, read 1,034,230 times
Default A Twin? No .........

Certainly someone exactly like me would be difficult to live with. I have evolved into someone who likes himself but not enough for two of me !!
Now, in my case my wife shares similarities that are pleasing and make life pleasant. We share a similar "World View" and our life goals are mostly on the same page( OK, at least in the same book). We do have our different aspects which we both agree keep us balanced. I have been in relationships with women who were direct opposites...Let me just say that after the lovin' there was nothing to say ,do, plan.......Constant turmoil. That's my experience. I certainly don't intend to speak for anyone else.

More similarities than dissimalarities seems to be the best formula from what I can see.
Spiritwalker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships