Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:52 PM

66 posts, read 110,280 times

Advertisements

Hi. I had a girl today tell me that one of the key things she looks at when considering a guy is what type of relationship he has with his mother. I never had heard it before, but I guess it makes alot of sense. Has anybody else heard this used as a factor? Maybe the same can be applied to a girl and her father?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloot310 View Post
Hi. I had a girl today tell me that one of the key things she looks at when considering a guy is what type of relationship he has with his mother. I never had heard it before, but I guess it makes alot of sense. Has anybody else heard this used as a factor? Maybe the same can be applied to a girl and her father?
In some theories yes indeed this is true. Yet not all.

I loved my father very much and if a man I'm dating has his good traits like him then it is all good for me!

Many girls or rather ladies want to see how a guy treats his mother and how they get along.

This is future information on how you will treat her.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I had a complex relationship with my Mom.

Much too complex to get into here.

The point??? Don't use this criterion to judge a potential mate.

Trust me on this.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
I think it's true. I also think men sometimes want to date something that is similar to their mother. Not always but I have an example.

My ex's father died when he was very young. His mother as a result "lost it" for a while. When he was about 7 she remarried the man he refers to as "dad", since he never knew his real father. His father essentially came in and "saved" his mother and made their family all better. While we where dating I almost felt like he wished I had it "less" together. I come from a great nuclear family. We broke up and now he's dating a single 23 year old divorcee mother of a 2 year old and I feel that he is THRIVING in this relationship because he came in and "saved" her the way his father saved his mother.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloot310 View Post
Yes, this is sage advice. For instance, men with difficult relationships with their mothers can sometimes make difficult partners. By the same token, men who are mama's boys don't make emotionally healthy partners you can count on either.

What you really want to watch for is, how does the man TREAT his mother? (Even if she is a basket case or otherwise emotionally unhealthy). Men who treat their mothers poorly will usually treat their wives the same way in the long run. A man who can have compassion for his mother, even when she has made his life hard is a good man. A man who really loves and respects his mother is usually a real keeper

Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What you really want to watch for is, how does the man TREAT his mother? (Even if she is a basket case or otherwise emotionally unhealthy). Men who treat their mothers poorly will usually treat their wives the same way in the long run. A man who can have compassion for his mother, even when she has made his life hard is a good man. A man who really loves and respects his mother is usually a real keeper
This is excellent advice, and that's what I too look for in a man. But this extends to his entire family as well -- I see how close he is to them and if he values them in his life. I'm not enamored with the idea of ending up with someone who's estranged to his family or who doesn't want to spend time with any of them.

My exH didn't value his family at all and wanted to part ways forever, with the exception of his brother. It should not have came as a shock when he expected that after we got married that I'd never see my parents again, but it did (we have a good relationship).

When someone projects their own unhealthy issues with their family onto your situation or starts reading things into the situation that aren't there, that's always a bad sign.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
When you're an adult in a relationship, it's about a new chapter in life. Eliminate distractions.

Me, I'm lucky--my parents are gone.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:50 PM

13 posts, read 20,098 times
to me it's very important to see my girlfriend relationship with her family

Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
This is excellent advice, and that's what I too look for in a man. But this extends to his entire family as well -- I see how close he is to them and if he values them in his life. I'm not enamored with the idea of ending up with someone who's estranged to his family or who doesn't want to spend time with any of them.

My exH didn't value his family at all and wanted to part ways forever, with the exception of his brother. It should not have came as a shock when he expected that after we got married that I'd never see my parents again, but it did (we have a good relationship).

When someone projects their own unhealthy issues with their family onto your situation or starts reading things into the situation that aren't there, that's always a bad sign.
I disagree.

Life is complex, and not so cut and dry. A man could illtreat his SO when having good familial relationships. I think that nobody should spend time with others whom they don't get on with, nor feel content around.

If I met a woman, and she didn't get on with her family, there must be a reason. I would vet the reason, and judge on that basis.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 8,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I think it's true. I also think men sometimes want to date something that is similar to their mother. Not always but I have an example.

My ex's father died when he was very young. His mother as a result "lost it" for a while. When he was about 7 she remarried the man he refers to as "dad", since he never knew his real father. His father essentially came in and "saved" his mother and made their family all better. While we where dating I almost felt like he wished I had it "less" together. I come from a great nuclear family. We broke up and now he's dating a single 23 year old divorcee mother of a 2 year old and I feel that he is THRIVING in this relationship because he came in and "saved" her the way his father saved his mother.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
Or maybe he just didn't feel that connection with you and now he's found it with his current. I'm a single divorcee mother of a 4 year old and my life is about as normal as any other person my age - so being a divorced mom doesn't make you "not have your **** together." Remember, being judgmental gets you nothing but misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships