Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,674 times

Advertisements

For the last year or so I've been thinking about moving away. Right now, I am still a college student (one semester left, graduating in May of 2011) and living with my mother (chose to stay home to save money) while in school. Almost my entire family is here (some in GA, AK, TX) and to be honest I am not sure how I would feel if I moved away from them.

I live in Massachusetts, but I really don't want to be here anymore. Although I've never been to North Carolina, I do plan to visit (maybe during winter break) to see if I like it. But I would like some advice about two or three things (I'd really appreciate it!) that I'm curious about.

I'm only 21 (22 in about a week) and I've never lived on my own. So, would it be a good idea to move out of state and so far away my first time out?

What are good places to live if you're a recent graduate?

If anyone has moved away from their families to a different state, how difficult is it?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,102,859 times
I don't think you're ready yet.

It's very difficult to be on your own far from everything and everyone you've known and loved.

I moved as an adult without knowing a soul, but the economy was better, and I had my two kids, two dogs, and two birds.

It was still challenging.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But you may not be ready just yet. When you are ready, you will be bursting to go, and no one will stop you.

It's a good idea to visit.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,274,092 times
I loved to get away from my family so I really can't help you. Move to any city you can afford.

There is no perfect answer. Welcome to adulthood.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPearline View Post
But I would like some advice about two or three things (I'd really appreciate it!) that I'm curious about.

I'm only 21 (22 in about a week) and I've never lived on my own. So, would it be a good idea to move out of state and so far away my first time out?

What are good places to live if you're a recent graduate?

If anyone has moved away from their families to a different state, how difficult is it?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have for me.
21 is a perfect age to move away and try things. You're not tied down yet, it's an easy age to meet others, make new friends. It's the best time of your life to try different places.

Any place that calls you is a great place to live, anything you want to try that's different.

I did it a few times - I wanted to know if I could make it if I moved to a place where I knew absolutely no one. It's best to have a job or classes or both soon after moving, don't leave much time to explore the area but with a job or classes you will find your niche fast.

When you get to whatever place it is, make sure you check out all the fun things - the weekend trips, the hiking trails. You can get to know the place better than many of the "natives" if you do that - and soon you're telling them what's fun to do in their own area of the country.

Just keep in mind that trying new places to live, meeting new people, traveling and all changes you. When you go back and find some people have never left the block they grew up in, it'll seem strange to you. When you're "out there" you tend to meet other travelers and explorers and lose your connections with those who want nothing but the same thing the rest of their lives. Not everyone can go home again.

The experience will give you a certain assuredness that you can make it wherever you go, it makes you more flexible. It would help you a lot if you should ever take a job that requires travel or relocation because you'll know you can do it.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,772,998 times
I admire your courage. Totally free choice is a wonderful thing that most have for a short period of time before 'life situations' start restricting it. I'm not sure how you targeted this area but I think it would be a great place for a young person to start out on their own. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Why not finish college then move?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Or move and finish college

Can you move for a year to another college to get your masters? This would give you a taste of a different area away from family . . . and in a very accommodating environment. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,792,061 times
It's different for everyone. The more money you can earn the easier time you're going to have, regardless of where you go.

What are your reasons for not wanting to be in Mass any longer? You might find that the things that turn you off living in Mass may still turn you off about other places.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,345,835 times
There is really nothing to it. I was the first one of my family to move out of state (NY to CA) and the first few weeks it hard but it all takes time to get used to it.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I was thinking its a lot cheaper to live at home and go to college than have to get a full time job to foot the bill for an apartment and all expenses that go with it and find the time to go to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships