Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with this statement? Career, relationships.etc today seem so complex compared to back in the old days. It's like you have the opportunity to live ten lifetimes in one, but you never really stay long enough to fully appreciate it. An ambitious professional might have ten different jobs in ten different cities in his or her lifetime but not feel any of them are meaningful.

Added to the fact society is so darn age conscious: I hate being mid-20s and feeling left behind. I know it's just a number but it still bothers me a bit. I haven't had a gf, just started my first real job, and am already worrying about how soon 30 will come. I'm grateful for what I have, it's just felt I've let myself down (and add my anxiety issues which is the main thing holding me back). I hate how everything is supposed to happen in your 20s and 30s, although am glad that's changing. Your whole life obviously isn't just two decades but shallow youth-worshipping pop culture acts like the only people who matter are those between 18-30.

There's so much pressure to do this do that, so much derision if you don't meet all the criteria and tick the checkboxes of modern life...it's no wonder because life really is so damn short and complicated these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I completely, 100% agree.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
That's why I follow a minimalist lifestyle with few material possessions and fewer attachments.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:45 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
This kind of sentiment is what makes our time more valuable. We have a lot of things we can do but a very short time to do them in.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM

84 posts, read 157,410 times
"Modern Life Is Rubbish"
Blur

Old 10-24-2010, 11:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
. I hate how everything is supposed to happen in your 20s and 30s, although am glad that's changing. Your whole life obviously isn't just two decades but shallow youth-worshipping pop culture acts like the only people who matter are those between 18-30.
I definitely put that pressure on myself that if I didn't do XYZ by the age of 30 that was it, whenever I was in my 20's.

But I realized that life is a give and take. You either have plenty of time and not enough money or plenty of money and not enough time. And to get to the place where you have plenty of time AND money take years to save for and either build your business or career.

Around 30 I released the valve that held all this pressure in and started not to worry about how I was perceived or how society perceived me and started living for myself and what I wanted and what worked for me. I probably accomplished double in the past 5 years of what is meaningful to me than I did in 15 years from age 15-30. I could even argue much of the years of my teenage and 20's were "wasted" but I think I needed to have all those experiences to learn.

Also you realize much of the pop culture that appeals to 18-30 year olds, is pretty empty and plain, especially when you consider most of the "stars" of said pop culture usually end up in jail, rehab, broke, dead and so on.

Society for instance puts the 18-25 year old women on the pedestal as the "hot" women of society(some of this has changed yes, but still) and yeah women are at their ideal body perfection at that age before aging takes effect. But frankly now at 35, women that age are a turn off to me, they all seem to be airheads or out of touch with reality and at their age, I wonder why I was so into them at the time. Not that I would turn my nose up at any good offers but certainly it's not what I really look for anymore.

So I guess to sum it up, live life as you want. Do the things you want to do, try to be a good citizen and serve your fellow man in your work or spare time. Have some balance in life in all things.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 AM

311 posts, read 694,133 times
I loved that post Wanneroo.Too me that is the crule joke of modern life today.You can have lots of time for yourself or you can go after the money but rarely can you have both.And as an added pressure, as a man, if you decide to choose more time and less money your relationship options become very very limited.As to the op I agree 100%.I HATE the BS life checklist your pressured to check off as soon as possible.And its funny how most of those things involve a sh*t ton of money.Our handlers at the top would never stand for life checklists without things like, a new car, a big house,collage no matter the cost,an expensive wedding and so on.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
There's so much pressure to do this do that, so much derision if you don't meet all the criteria and tick the checkboxes of modern life...
whose opinion matters so much?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
What's so complicated? Eat, work, sleep, repeat.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Do you agree with this statement?
No, not at all.

Quote:
Added to the fact society is so darn age conscious
They are, but you, and the people in your life, will soon be more fixated on reality. Growing older tends to do that for ya.

Quote:
I hate being mid-20s and feeling left behind. I know it's just a number but it still bothers me a bit. I haven't had a gf, just started my first real job, and am already worrying about how soon 30 will come. I'm grateful for what I have, it's just felt I've let myself down (and add my anxiety issues which is the main thing holding me back). I hate how everything is supposed to happen in your 20s and 30s,
If by "everything" you mean figuring out what you want to do with your life, then I'd agree....that's a good time frame for that. But I surely wouldn't say that that is *everything* in life - not even close.

Quote:
shallow youth-worshipping pop culture acts like the only people who matter are those between 18-30.
Pop culture? Who cares? I really don't see why something so truly meaningless is bothering you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships