Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times

Advertisements

What are everyone's thoughts on traveling (for pleasure) without your significant other?

Usually, when I got on a vacation, I bring along my S/O. Once, while in a relationship, I went on a cruise alone, as she could not get off work, and she was cool with it.

Recently, about 2-3 months ago, started seeing someone, it is going amazingly well, and I really feel there could be a future there.

Anyhow, my birthday is coming up in December, and, I have the week off of work. This has been a very stressful year for myself, especially concerning work, so, I have been weighing my options on vacations, but, had pretty much settled on a cruise.

The GF would love to go with me.... unfortunately, due to a prank/stupid idea gone totally awry, she is on probation for a few more months. She is trying to get a travel pass, and has also completed the terms of her probation, so, she is hopeful one of those two options will allow her to go.

My question is, how much of a jerk would I be if I went alone if she can't get the approval to go? What would you do?

Here is some more data:

1. Trip is not booked yet, but time off from work is approved.
2. Can get more time off early next year, so will be able to go on another vacation with her.
3. Haven't had a vacation in about 16 months and really need one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
"Recently, about 2-3 months ago, started seeing someone, it is going amazingly well, and I really feel there could be a future there."

I would stay.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
If your g/f is okay with it, go alone given the circumstances. If she isn't okay with it, why not? Is it a lack of trust, or something else? I'd examine the relationship and its basis. I generally do not like traveling without my SO, but would if I were in your situation.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Since this is basically her and you going...stay.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Since the relationship is so young (2-3 months) I wouldn`t take a chance on this GF being cool with it...
Stay, and plan on a vacation with her later.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Since the relationship is so young (2-3 months) I wouldn`t take a chance on this GF being cool with it...
Stay, and plan on a vacation with her later.

Yes,i also think access to the love canal would be revoked for the standard time frame .

Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on traveling (for pleasure) without your significant other?

Usually, when I got on a vacation, I bring along my S/O. Once, while in a relationship, I went on a cruise alone, as she could not get off work, and she was cool with it.

Recently, about 2-3 months ago, started seeing someone, it is going amazingly well, and I really feel there could be a future there.

Anyhow, my birthday is coming up in December, and, I have the week off of work. This has been a very stressful year for myself, especially concerning work, so, I have been weighing my options on vacations, but, had pretty much settled on a cruise.

The GF would love to go with me.... unfortunately, due to a prank/stupid idea gone totally awry, she is on probation for a few more months. She is trying to get a travel pass, and has also completed the terms of her probation, so, she is hopeful one of those two options will allow her to go.

My question is, how much of a jerk would I be if I went alone if she can't get the approval to go? What would you do?

Here is some more data:

2. Can get more time off early next year, so will be able to go on another vacation with her.
She is a girlfriend, not a wife. You owe no obligation to her whatsoever. You are a single man and can come and go as you please. If she gets put out by you doing this, then you need to take a good, long hard look at your relationship. Do you REALLY want to be with a woman who is so uncaring as to your mental and emotional health that she would throw a tantrum because you want to do something to feel better? That would be a very selfish point of view, IMHO.

If the woman really cares for you, her response would be.... "Honey, of course, you need to relax and recharge. I want you to go on that cruise. We have a long future ahead of us, and there will be many opportunities for me to go with you. Right now you need to take care of YOU. So, don't give it a second thought."

That is what a caring woman would say.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

Here is some more data:

Personally, I'd be fine with you going. I'd love a week by myself, even though I thoroughly enjoy being with my SO. You should talk to her and see how she feels.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:

Here is some more data:

If she has a criminal record, she can count out foreign travel to plenty of foreign countries, especially Canada.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If she has a criminal record, she can count out foreign travel to plenty of foreign countries, especially Canada.

yeah no kidding those Canadians have a stick up their ass on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships