Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I love all of your pics, but especially the ones of Katie. This is Rosie. I had to put her to sleep Tuesday night. I'm pretty sure she had a brain tumor (well, either that or nasal cancer). I never got an actual diagnosis but there really wasn't a need. She was 14, too. I adopted her from the shelter where I volunteered when she was 9. Her former family dumped her after a divorce.
How Awful. What were her symptoms?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
I love all of your pics, but especially the ones of Katie. This is Rosie. I had to put her to sleep Tuesday night. I'm pretty sure she had a brain tumor (well, either that or nasal cancer). I never got an actual diagnosis but there really wasn't a need. She was 14, too. I adopted her from the shelter where I volunteered when she was 9. Her former family dumped her after a divorce.
Aww...beautiful dog. Reminds me of Katie. I'm so glad you were able to give her a happy home. I don't understand people who just "dump" their animals... but I'm obviously one of those "pets are family" people, as you seem to be.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I am thinking I want another Golden Retriever. My sister has a pack or corgi's they are a riot.
I grew up with a Golden Retriever, named Skipper. Sweeeeeeeeetest dog.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
How Awful. What were her symptoms?
She started falling over, wobbling while she walked, bloody noses, losing weight. I think she also had a couple seizures, though I didn't realize that's what they were at the time. Also, a couple months ago she started obsessively trying to eat weird things...screws out of my floor, broken glass, the cords to my appliances. It was like a compulsion. Toward the end she could barely walk and her breathing was so labored, I couldn't let her go on.

Gee...I don't mean to bring down the place.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Aww...beautiful dog. Reminds me of Katie. I'm so glad you were able to give her a happy home. I don't understand people who just "dump" their animals... but I'm obviously one of those "pets are family" people, as you seem to be.
I actually talked to her former owner after I adopted her. He left his name and number and said it was okay to call. She had a tumor on her muzzle and I wanted to see how long it had been there. He said he hadn't even noticed it.

Oh well, my gain.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
She started falling over, wobbling while she walked, bloody noses, losing weight. I think she also had a couple seizures, though I didn't realize that's what they were at the time. Also, a couple months ago she started obsessively trying to eat weird things...screws out of my floor, broken glass, the cords to my appliances. It was like a compulsion. Toward the end she could barely walk and her breathing was so labored, I couldn't let her go on.

Gee...I don't mean to bring down the place.
Well your'e helping other people (like me) recognize the symptoms so that they can do the right thing in case something like that happens to their dog. Thank you for the answer, I know it's still painful for you.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 AM

My cats had similar symptoms with their liver/pancreatic cancer. I noticed one day that Chip would occasionally have to steady himself. I didn't think much of it at the time, just thought he was stumbling over uneven couch cushions. Then it got worse, pretty quickly, and I took him to the vet. They did x-rays, found a mass, and did a biopsy. The vet said there was not one non-cancerous cell in the biopsy, and he probably wouldn't live more than a few weeks.

He was still playing and purring, and, other than the stumbling, seemed okay. Appetite was good.

I waited too long, though. By the time I'd made the decision to make an appointment to put him down, he'd died in my arms that weekend.

Same with Boots. I had an appointment at 2 pm to have him put down, and that morning, he ate breakfast, then collapsed into a coma on the floor. When it was close to the appointment time, he was already gone, unaware. So I just held him and petted him, and canceled his appointment.

God it was awful. I have so much guilt for waiting so long in both cases, and causing them to go through that.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
I grew up with a Golden Retriever, named Skipper. Sweeeeeeeeetest dog.
There is a post about cinci in rainbow bridge section. When I was married the ex talked me into getting him. (theory was his and hers Goldens)

The funny thing the first Golden we got little over 7 years ago picked me out... She came to me and laid down next to me. That was supposed to be the ex's dog.

I ended up with the dogs in the split. Sadie the older Golden stays really close. She is a princess and knows it too. So regal and proper. But tonight she had a major case of the vapors and let loose a quite audiable fart. That's my girl.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
My cats had similar symptoms with their liver/pancreatic cancer. I noticed one day that Chip would occasionally have to steady himself. I didn't think much of it at the time, just thought he was stumbling over uneven couch cushions. Then it got worse, pretty quickly, and I took him to the vet. They did x-rays, found a mass, and did a biopsy. The vet said there was not one non-cancerous cell in the biopsy, and he probably wouldn't live more than a few weeks.

He was still playing and purring, and, other than the stumbling, seemed okay. Appetite was good.

I waited too long, though. By the time I'd made the decision to make an appointment to put him down, he'd died in my arms that weekend.

Same with Boots. I had an appointment at 2 pm to have him put down, and that morning, he ate breakfast, then collapsed into a coma on the floor. When it was close to the appointment time, he was already gone, unaware. So I just held him and petted him, and canceled his appointment.

God it was awful. I have so much guilt for waiting so long in both cases, and causing them to go through that.
That is such a sad story. However, he died in your arms and knew he was loved. He knew! Don't let it get you down, you had no idea!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
That is such a sad story. However, he died in your arms and knew he was loved. He knew! Don't let it get you down, you had no idea!
When I held Chip, he went fairly quickly. He was sleeping in a bed we'd made for him in a laundry basket, and suddenly started making some noises. I picked him up, and he gasped a few times, stretched out his paws against me, like he was struggling - he seemed semi-aware. Then he took a breath, and one last one a while, later.

With Boots, I was holding him about 12:30 pm, and he was not aware of anything. But he didn't pass on until after 3, an hour after his euth appt. He was making horrible noises, and opening his mouth like he was trying to breathe, but he wasn't "there". I just stroked his fur and cried, hoping it would be over, soon. His breathing was very labored, then infrequent, and just when I thought it was over, he'd take another breath. Then he finally pulled his paws in, like he was going to sleep. That's when he went.

I had both of them cremated, and they are in a wooden box, next to each other, and their collars are in a little drawer in the box. I know some people might think that's creepy, but it comforts me that they're together on my dresser. In fact, the night before Boots died, he was meowing loudly and hoarsely, and I thought that was his time. I was lying in my bed, with him on my chest, and I was talking through tears to Chip on my dresser, asking him to please call Boots to him. And I was telling Boots to let go, he'd been such a good kitty, my baby. I couldn't bear seeing him suffer.

I must sound insane...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.