Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

There was a point in my life when I was in a similar position. I was former military, attending college, working full-time, and looking for a career.

I had shifted to night classes because there I found fellow students who were older and actually focused on improving their careers. The jobs that I saw available to me were cubicle jobs that seemed to dead-end quickly. I just could not see myself doing any of those jobs and being happy in them for the next 40 years. I remember one job interview where the employer turned me away, saying that I was fully qualified, but I would be bored.

For me, it seemed to be the correct decision to re-enlist. I had been out for 4 years when I went back in.

A "structured lifestyle" ? I never thought of it that way. Yes, we wear uniforms, have ranks and titles; but Active Duty can also be exciting. Lots of travel, I have lived in places where I would have never gone on my own. Always new people, in the Navy at least once your past your first enlistment everyone is on 3-year tours. So every year basically a third of the people rotate out and are replaced by fresh bodies.

The "Military Life" is one of feeling that your doing something important. Most of my AD career was focused on maintaining hundreds of nuc payloads ready for launch at any time. There was a much greater purpose to what we were doing.

"Military Issues" were on an entirely different universe than simply living in a beach front apartment with a nice view while working a minimum-wage job. Military Issues that I experienced included that a lot of civilians openly hated us. We worked a lot of long hours in conditions that were not glamorous, and friends die. At least today most civilians seem to act like they like the military.

I would likely do it all over again.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
I'm a woman and was an officer in the Army, so not sure about the generalization.
It's a calling.
And for military members, prior or active, to expect civilians to understand the lifestyle just doesn't work & in reality, isn't fair. It's frustrating,for sure. I have many mommy friends who are in tears b/c their husbands don't get home until 7pm to help w/ the kids. I want to say there are military wives w/ children who don't see their husband/daddies for months on end. I want to say there are military families who are missing a parent during holidays and bdays as the parent is ons staff duty, in the field or deployed. I want to say that there was nothing more awful than to watch 7month pregnant wife hug her husband's casket as he was killed by an IED. But I can't and won't b/c they don't get it and can't get it.

I had more issues w/ soldiers who joined due to it being an easy paycheck or gave their baby momma healthcare and when the long hours started, they wrote to their congressman & then I had to spend hours writing a response to some random congressman in Utah b/c PFC Johnny doesn't like being a mechanic and working until 8pm.

If you want to go back in due to a true calling, go for it. Other than that, who cares what others think?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM

175 posts, read 750,417 times
females are generally nesters. We like to have a place to call home. We do not like the idea of being stationed anywhere in the world and not having any say so in the matter-for you that's traveling ;-)

Women do not like the idea of the likelihood of being killed at work, however you also are trying to find work as a police officer or I think fire fighter...

My main reason for not wanting to join the military is the ASVAB and not trusting a thing the recruiters say. I took the asvab and scored very high. You have to have a score of what...a 30 to be able to join the military. I know I am intelligent but I also know I'm not a genious. I scored very very high, the recruiters told me I could have any job I wanted (although, I don't believe that either) I just didn't like the idea of people scoring low on the ASVAB being around me with guns, JMHO.

I thought the ASVAB was a joke by the way. I remember one question was a picture of a piston and I was asked to ID the picture, another was a dove tail joint...That was the most random test I have ever taken.

That and recruiters seem sleazy to me, they tell you what ever you want to hear. I also don't think the military does a proper mental evaluation of recruits either, I have met so many former soldiers that are crazy, have dominance, or control issues. Not all, my boyfriend is former Army. I am so glad we met after he got out of the service. I could not handle wondering if he was safe every night.

That's just my perspective

Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 PM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper
There was a point in my life when I was in a similar position. I was former military, attending college, working full-time, and looking for a career.

I had shifted to night classes because there I found fellow students who were older and actually focused on improving their careers. The jobs that I saw available to me were cubicle jobs that seemed to dead-end quickly. I just could not see myself doing any of those jobs and being happy in them for the next 40 years. I remember one job interview where the employer turned me away, saying that I was fully qualified, but I would be bored.

For me, it seemed to be the correct decision to re-enlist. I had been out for 4 years when I went back in.

A "structured lifestyle" ? I never thought of it that way. Yes, we wear uniforms, have ranks and titles; but Active Duty can also be exciting. Lots of travel, I have lived in places where I would have never gone on my own. Always new people, in the Navy at least once your past your first enlistment everyone is on 3-year tours. So every year basically a third of the people rotate out and are replaced by fresh bodies.

The "Military Life" is one of feeling that your doing something important. Most of my AD career was focused on maintaining hundreds of nuc payloads ready for launch at any time. There was a much greater purpose to what we were doing.

"Military Issues" were on an entirely different universe than simply living in a beach front apartment with a nice view while working a minimum-wage job. Military Issues that I experienced included that a lot of civilians openly hated us. We worked a lot of long hours in conditions that were not glamorous, and friends die. At least today most civilians seem to act like they like the military.

I would likely do it all over again.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do with your life.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OP- I'm not sure if you realize this, but it is VERY hard for prior service to come back into the military. Something to think about and look into before making any decisions. FYI.

As far as the the whole prior service getting back in part, It isn't as hard as you think, albeit you may have to take a position you don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I'm a woman and was an officer in the Army, so not sure about the generalization.
It's a calling.
And for military members, prior or active, to expect civilians to understand the lifestyle just doesn't work & in reality, isn't fair. It's frustrating,for sure. I have many mommy friends who are in tears b/c their husbands don't get home until 7pm to help w/ the kids. I want to say there are military wives w/ children who don't see their husband/daddies for months on end. I want to say there are military families who are missing a parent during holidays and bdays as the parent is ons staff duty, in the field or deployed. I want to say that there was nothing more awful than to watch 7month pregnant wife hug her husband's casket as he was killed by an IED. But I can't and won't b/c they don't get it and can't get it.

I had more issues w/ soldiers who joined due to it being an easy paycheck or gave their baby momma healthcare and when the long hours started, they wrote to their congressman & then I had to spend hours writing a response to some random congressman in Utah b/c PFC Johnny doesn't like being a mechanic and working until 8pm.

If you want to go back in due to a true calling, go for it. Other than that, who cares what others think?
I wasn't really generalizing, but to whom I told about my decision, the females that I knew were really against it. It is my decision, that I know, but I was giving them reasonable doubt; maybe they knew something I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, if you really want to be a policeman...there is not a hiring freeze in the entire United States...or in corrections...as a matter of fact, I saw an ad for police in Wilton Manors. So, what is keeping you here in Miami? You can go anywhere...and you can re join the military if you wish.

As far as what is keeping me in here Miami, the fact that I am without a vehicle at the moment is one reason, and my second semester of college has already been registered for...

Last edited by Kinetic_A; 11-02-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Agreed.

As far as the the whole prior service getting back in part, It isn't as hard as you think, albeit you may have to take a position you don't like.
Kinetic_A- I'm a recruiter. I talk to people every day who want to come back and the stars aren't aligned for that. They have RE 1s, no waivers, and are willing to do anything... but it is next to impossible. I am Air Force, so you can think it's easier in the other branches, but many of them come to me AFTER they have tried to get back into the Army and couldn't, or after they tried a Marine/Navy recruiter and didn't get anywhere.

To be a regular recruit off the street, many are waiting over a year to get in to the AF, Navy, Marines, and up to 6 months to get into the Army. With that kind of numbers, most recruiters aren't even willing to try on a prior service applicant.

Is it impossible, no. I'm not trying to discourage you. I just wanted to give you a warning that it will be a long process, and you are going to have to probably call 10 recruiters to find one that even knows how to do Prior Service, and you're going to have to jump through hoops and nag him/her. It can be done (assuming you have an RE-1 and meet all qualifications).

You'll start by finding a recruiter, providing your DD214, and retaking the ASVAB.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Some people just like to be in charge and tell others what to do, I wouldn't pay her too much mind. As for her comment about not being able to "handle" civilian life, I will say that I know a lot people who were at sea after they got out. But these were guys who had been in for 20 + years and were bascially institutionalized at that point.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I don't know what their issue--in general--is with the military. I could somewhat understand a girlfriend on one hand being proud of you wearing a uniform, but on the other hand not being able to deal with your extended absence.

Because I went through that very thing. She was proud to have a boyfriend in the military, but she got tired of not seeing me.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 AM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times
Quote:
Kinetic_A- I'm a recruiter. I talk to people every day who want to come back and the stars aren't aligned for that. They have RE 1s, no waivers, and are willing to do anything... but it is next to impossible. I am Air Force, so you can think it's easier in the other branches, but many of them come to me AFTER they have tried to get back into the Army and couldn't, or after they tried a Marine/Navy recruiter and didn't get anywhere.

To be a regular recruit off the street, many are waiting over a year to get in to the AF, Navy, Marines, and up to 6 months to get into the Army. With that kind of numbers, most recruiters aren't even willing to try on a prior service applicant.

Is it impossible, no. I'm not trying to discourage you. I just wanted to give you a warning that it will be a long process, and you are going to have to probably call 10 recruiters to find one that even knows how to do Prior Service, and you're going to have to jump through hoops and nag him/her. It can be done (assuming you have an RE-1 and meet all qualifications).

You'll start by finding a recruiter, providing your DD214, and retaking the ASVAB.

Good luck!
I know, that it may be a long process, but i am prepared for that. Since my last job basicall dropped me because college conflicted with their business needs, I'm in school full time as of right now. I know that even with my degree, I am not guaranteed an position in any job since the market is extremely competitive. My RE status is a 1 and I am talking to a recruiter right now. I just don't want to be flapping in the wind when school is done and I haven't found a job. And since I know what to expect with military life, that is one of the reasons I don't mind going back.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Some people just like to be in charge and tell others what to do, I wouldn't pay her too much mind. As for her comment about not being able to "handle" civilian life, I will say that I know a lot people who were at sea after they got out.
Some can not 'handle' military life; and others may not be good at handling civilian life.

I think it is far more common to see folks who can not, they simply can not deal with the stress of being in the military.

Being uncomfortable with civilian life is rather rare.

Quote:
... But these were guys who had been in for 20 + years and were bascially institutionalized at that point.
heh heh

I resemble that remark. I mean the 20+ part

It is far more of them to go from uniform into a corporate suit; or government civil service.

Career military who come out as basket cases are rather rare.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:

Good luck!
Dmarie - Just curious - why is it an issue? If someone who had good reviews on their first time in and was looking to re-up - particularly after upgrading their education - I would think they would be very desirable candidates. I don't understand what the issue is, but I am obviously missing something. What's the real deal?? Thanks in advance for your insights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships