Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 AM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times

Advertisements

....or just me going back. I told my roommate of 4 years that this is not working for me, albeit I am in school and getting paid for it, but that is my only saving grace. I told her that I'm considering going back in, but she gave me all of these reasons of why I shouldn't and she says "I'm taking the easy way out" or "Some people just can't handle civilian life" nonsense. And her female friends basically told me the same thing....among my other female friends. Her friend also said "You live one of the best parts of Miami(Downtown Brickell), you have an awesome apartment with a great view, not may people can say that". I could really care less where I live as long as its safe. Secondly its not mine, I'm renting a room. The guys I know are like go for it. Go figure.

My first mistake was leaving in the first place, thinking my military experience would land me a decent job....not so much. I've been out for seven years and all the jobs that have been placed in front of were complete garbage, and not many of them much higher than minimum wage. I am not looking make a career out of being a server, a cashier at some retail store, or a security guard. I would have done Firefighter, or Police officer, but they have a huge hiring freeze, and there are not many government job openings. Bailiff would have been nice, but there is a huge waiting list.

I really don't see the problem. I'm not married, I don't have a girlfriend, I don't own much, The majority of everything I have is in my room, hell I don't even have a car anymore....Why the hell would they want to keep a guy around that doesn't have much of anything? I'm trying to better myself, but this apparently is the wrong way?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter what she says, I am a grown man, I live my life the way I see fit. I was just giving her the heads up that this is a strong possibility within maybe the next(fiscal) year, or so.

And then, they TELL me what I need to do instead? Who the hell made them my mothers? I'm done ranting.

Any idea why would she(and my other female friends) be all up in arms about it?

Last edited by Kinetic_A; 11-01-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
They just dont want you to leave. Theyre siding on the comforts of civilian life. I prefer being active being of discipline and dont deal with hectics of civilian life. Id rather be active because i have a stable job and enjoying camarederie with other people towards one goal. Everyones ordered to whether they like it or not. Im in the Navy Reserve btw

Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 AM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
They just dont want you to leave. Theyre siding on the comforts of civilian life. I prefer being active being of discipline and dont deal with hectics of civilian life. Id rather be active because i have a stable job and enjoying camarederie with other people towards one goal. Everyones ordered to whether they like it or not. Im in the Navy Reserve btw
Agreed. I enjoyed the structured lifestyle as well. I did the Army National Guard, but it wasn't the same. I miss the traveling, the friends I made, and definitely the camaraderie. Many civilians(especially here) take that kind of stuff for granted and only look out for themselves. The only way I think that this is comfortable is if you are well off.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 AM

250 posts, read 696,651 times
Most girls here have everything handed to them or expect everything to be handed to them. I have been working as a contractor for 4 years in AFG off and on since 2003. Im going back 1 Dec. The girls I know say the same thing. Why why why... Contract work is out there if its an option for you. A lot better money than here just not the best living conditions. USAF 1986-1995

Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Kinetic_A, do what you feel is best and don't let other people influence you because they don't have to live with the consequences. It's your life, not theirs. Some people may be well-meaning but others will give you advice that is best for them, not you. Good luck in whatever you decide and thank you for your service to our country.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Please stop caring what others think.

At least complete college and go in as an officer.

I have been out for awhile, I have a great job and all, but I find civilian life dull, and civilians as lack luster individuals. Civilians seem to dramatize over the stupidest things in the work place, civilians just irk me.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Looks like someone moved this thread to the "Military Life and Issues" thread.

I sure hope it turns into a "Military Life and Issues" thread real fast...

Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Well, if you really want to be a policeman...there is not a hiring freeze in the entire United States...or in corrections...as a matter of fact, I saw an ad for police in Wilton Manors. So, what is keeping you here in Miami? You can go anywhere...and you can re join the military if you wish.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
"and she says "I'm taking the easy way out" or "Some people just can't handle civilian life" nonsense"

She definitely has it backwards. One, the military is NOT the easy way out, quit the opposite to be honest with you and two, more like people can't handle the military life. Civilian life is a joke compared to a civilian lifestyle.

Good for you for thinking about re-entering the service. Please KUP on your decision

Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
OP- I'm not sure if you realize this, but it is VERY hard for prior service to come back into the military. Something to think about and look into before making any decisions. FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships