Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:35 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,857 times

Advertisements

A year and a half ago my ex boyfriend broke up with me and at the time, I really thought it was because of religion and family (we're from very different religious backgrounds), the tiny age difference probably had some to do with it. I was devestated for a long time but I'm 100% over it now.
Anyway, I know this is trying to dig up something that's long buried and dead, but I was just wondering and curious. It doesn't really affect me now, I was just wondering. He's been dating someone for at least 8 months now, she's probably closer to his age than I am, but in terms of religion she also comes from a very different background than him. Eventually I think he would only marry someone from his country and same religion as him because it's something that's extremely important to him. But why...why are they still going strong after so long...while him and I only lasted 6 months when we were actually very happy and in love??? I don't get it! Months after the breakup he had told me how sorry he was because he truly did love me and how I was his first in so many ways, but that he HAD to break up with me....yet he's been dating this girl for so long now. I know it doesn't matter now, I just want to know what's going on in his head.
By the way, this probably isn't important but he's been, in a way, cheating on her with me by trying to seduce me and getting me to try some [indecent] things with him, yet he claims to love her. What the heck is wrong with these men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
I dunno, but six months is not long enough to be in love, and eight months is not a long time to be in a relationship. I suspect that you are a youngin' for making such observations.

You stated that you were his first in more ways than one. Perhaps he wants to explore the candy store before he settles on particular item?

I get the feeling that you are trying to rationalize his behavior and seeking conformation that your continued involvement with him may be justified.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
A year and a half ago my ex boyfriend broke up with me and at the time, I really thought it was because of religion and family (we're from very different religious backgrounds), the tiny age difference probably had some to do with it. I was devestated for a long time but I'm 100% over it now.
Anyway, I know this is trying to dig up something that's long buried and dead, but I was just wondering and curious. It doesn't really affect me now, I was just wondering. He's been dating someone for at least 8 months now, she's probably closer to his age than I am, but in terms of religion she also comes from a very different background than him. Eventually I think he would only marry someone from his country and same religion as him because it's something that's extremely important to him. But why...why are they still going strong after so long...while him and I only lasted 6 months when we were actually very happy and in love??? I don't get it! Months after the breakup he had told me how sorry he was because he truly did love me and how I was his first in so many ways, but that he HAD to break up with me....yet he's been dating this girl for so long now. I know it doesn't matter now, I just want to know what's going on in his head.
By the way, this probably isn't important but he's been, in a way, cheating on her with me by trying to seduce me and getting me to try some [indecent] things with him, yet he claims to love her. What the heck is wrong with these men?
You have no idea what a bullet you dodged by having this man break up with you!

You may have felt you were in love with him but he was definitely not in love with you. Here's the truth, when a man really loves a woman wild horses can't drag him away from her. The religion thing was a convenient excuse. And you can take that to the bank.

WHY are you even having any communication with him right now at all??? He's a user and a player. Don't fall for his lines or waste a minute trying to be his friend unless you just want to be hurt and used.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:14 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
Quote:

No i think your age was the issue. Sounds like he wants a gf his age, but a FWB on the side. It's better you move on.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
It is best to move on. Smaller heartache now or bigger more painful heartache later on.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You have no idea what a bullet you dodged by having this man break up with you!

You may have felt you were in love with him but he was definitely not in love with you. Here's the truth, when a man really loves a woman wild horses can't drag him away from her. The religion thing was a convenient excuse. And you can take that to the bank.

WHY are you even having any communication with him right now at all??? He's a user and a player. Don't fall for his lines or waste a minute trying to be his friend unless you just want to be hurt and used.
I agree! I think the religion thing was an excuse.

Why are you giving him any kind of satisfaction by even talking to him?
Can`t you see that he is playing games?

Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
. But why...why are they still going strong after so long...while him and I only lasted 6 months when we were actually very happy and in love???

Months after the breakup he had told me how sorry he was because he truly did love me and how I was his first in so many ways, but that he HAD to break up with me

The very happy and in love is your perspective, not his.

I'll break the rest down for you, hes feeding you a load of crap hoping your weak enough not to see through it.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
No i think your age was the issue. Sounds like he wants a gf his age, but a FWB on the side. It's better you move on.
Doesn't matter if he used the religion excuse or the age excuse, he clearly does not want her as his full time partner, only a sex partner.

She'd be a fool to fall for his lines.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:15 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,857 times
Looking at this from the outside, I can completely understand how you guys would see it as him wanting only sex from me. I agree that if a man was truly in love with a woman, he would move mountains and I think his religion and family were only a tiny part of it but ultimately, he just wasn't as into me as I was into him. The reason I still have contact with him is because we go to school together and we're on good terms. Yes I think he's a jerk for cheating on his girlfriend because even though I haven't given in yet, the fact that he has tried and wants to have sex with me makes him a cheater in my eyes. I don't think I'll be hurt though, I'm not into him anymore, like I said, I'm 100% over him.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Looking at this from the outside, I can completely understand how you guys would see it as him wanting only sex from me. I agree that if a man was truly in love with a woman, he would move mountains and I think his religion and family were only a tiny part of it but ultimately, he just wasn't as into me as I was into him. The reason I still have contact with him is because we go to school together and we're on good terms. Yes I think he's a jerk for cheating on his girlfriend because even though I haven't given in yet, the fact that he has tried and wants to have sex with me makes him a cheater in my eyes. I don't think I'll be hurt though, I'm not into him anymore, like I said, I'm 100% over him.
You haven't "given in to him YET"????

Please tell us you won't be so foolish as to give in to him at all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships