Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 PM

48 posts, read 92,031 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years old and have realized that college and normal basic receptionist jobs are not for me. I work at a clothing store called Anthropologie part time and am a receptionist full time. At one point I wanted to be a wedding planner and i'm also interested in photography. I would love to work full time at Anthro and get certified as a wedding planner to do on the side but my husband thinks these carrer options are not dependable and discourages me to do them.
I have a real passion for the cloths and brand at Athropologie and planning events is also a passion. I know these are not traditional jobs but others do them and make their living off of these jobs alone. I dont know how to make him see and understand that this would make me happy and even though there is some risk to these jobs that they would be worth it in the long run and I could make alot of money doing this.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:11 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,399,017 times
It's not uncommon for spouses to be unsupportive when you're considering starting a business, which is what a wedding planner is, unless you work for someone else in which case it wouldn't be much different than any other job and I don't see why he would care if you work for someone selling clothes or work for someone planning weddings.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
I don't know how you can convince him or if you can. But I hope you find a way to follow your dream, someway, somehow. If you have passion, I believe you have a much more likely chance of being successful. You're young, so you can work hard for many years. You can advertise on the web . . . it is doable, definitely. I hope your husband will support you in this. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 PM

153 posts, read 521,146 times
Your best chance of gaining your husband’s support is to come up with a reasonable plan to make your dream happen and take steps to follow through. Don’t plan to quit your job in order to pursue becoming a wedding planner. Plan to keep working and contributing toward your combined financial goals while you pursue your training in wedding planning and even as you start gaining clients. If your husband loves you, he will come around as he sees you passionately pursuing your goal.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dms0309 View Post
I am 20 years old and have realized that college and normal basic receptionist jobs are not for me. I work at a clothing store called Anthropologie part time and am a receptionist full time. At one point I wanted to be a wedding planner and i'm also interested in photography. I would love to work full time at Anthro and get certified as a wedding planner to do on the side but my husband thinks these carrer options are not dependable and discourages me to do them.
I have a real passion for the cloths and brand at Athropologie and planning events is also a passion. I know these are not traditional jobs but others do them and make their living off of these jobs alone. I dont know how to make him see and understand that this would make me happy and even though there is some risk to these jobs that they would be worth it in the long run and I could make alot of money doing this.

Thanks
Well, he's got a point about retail clothing. It's a volatile industry subject to the whims of the economy and the changing of seasons.

Right now your only skills in wedding planning appear to involve planning your own wedding. This is going to sound horribly age-ist of me, but you'll probably need some solid work experience coordinating events and some exposure to all kinds of crazy personalities before striking out on your own.

As you are in NoVA, you're not far from the national headquarters of roughly a bazillion non-profit organizations. Non-profits usually have staff dedicated to planning meetings and events.

Or you could see if any prominent, wildly successful wedding planners in your area need an assistant.

If you're successful with either of those two kinds of jobs and make decent money, you'll have the proof to offer your husband.

In the meantime, if you're currently in college, I wouldn't drop out if I were you. Not having a degree can come back and bite you in the butt 10 or 15 years from now should you want to get into another line of work.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Husband or not, follow your dreams. If it were me, I'd keep my full time job and quit my part-time to do what I had to to realize my dreams. If you don't, take it from the people who have already traveled that road, you will be sorry. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:

Thanks
Anthropologie's parent company URBN is launching a new wedding brand. It is going to launch online Spring 2011 and the plan is to start opening physical locations shortly thereafter. (They are probably looking now.) I am just pointing this out because there may be an opportunity for you to combine interests; URBN will certainly start the new brand on the east coast, somewhere between VA and CT.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:43 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
It's easier to take the time to take chances when you are young, you don't always have the level of committments as you will later such as mortgage and kids to provide for. Do what you can to follow your dreams because life is so short and time passes too fast. One day you will look back and I hope it will be full of happiness and not regret.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 PM

48 posts, read 92,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Anthropologie's parent company URBN is launching a new wedding brand. It is going to launch online Spring 2011 and the plan is to start opening physical locations shortly thereafter. (They are probably looking now.) I am just pointing this out because there may be an opportunity for you to combine interests; URBN will certainly start the new brand on the east coast, somewhere between VA and CT.
That is actually a GREAT idea, Urban Outfitters is a great company to work for and staying in this company is what i would like to do. But also the fact that it is wedding clothing is what my other passion is so it works out great!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 PM

50 posts, read 136,113 times
Quote:

Thanks
Why do women marry men that would make them keep jobs? Find a man that can support you ,If you get married why should you have to work? My first wife had a Master's second a Bachelor's Degree No job unless they wanted to work .Do what you want!! Women should be married To a man that can support ANY thing she pleases and he must be able to support that Financially or whatever.I believe The Woman Of the house has already earned her keep It is my job to make sure she is doing what she wants....Even if it costs me money. The man should be the provider and cherish and support whatever she wants to do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships