Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not about them being more evolved. It's about them having more to lose financially. They just live in misery because they're not willing to part with their creature comforts.
I don't think that's what the article said at all. It said that the poorest group of likely divorcees were the least able to cope with the loss of a second income, but were more likely to do so anyway.

Educated people with better incomes were less likely not from fear of loss, but because of better conflict resolution skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I don't think that's what the article said at all. It said that the poorest group of likely divorcees were the least able to cope with the loss of a second income, but were more likely to do so anyway.
I wasn't discussing the article; I said what I think. People with nothing to lose are generally the biggest risk-takers. If your life sucks anyway, a little additional suffering isn't going to make it or break it.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 AM

400 posts, read 849,805 times
I'm not even sure why I got married. It seems that it just targets us for increased taxation. I hear all this talk about all the benefits married people get, what are they exactly?

Some one was telling me he had a waitress complaining to him that she wanted to marry her boyfriend but couldn't because then his income would count towards there household and she'd lose all are benefits from the state.

Not to get to political here, but maybe unmarried couples that are stable are just making the financially prudent decision in the face of perverse incentives.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:22 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
I think she was comparing family stability and saw that unmarried, two parent Swedish couples with children were less likely to split than married, two parent American couples with children.

Economic stability or education level may play a part in this, is what I think she's saying.

Americans may be falling rapidly in their socio-economic status compared to other countries, regardless of how subsidized their people are.

The problem is you can't use stats as proof when you don't tell us in what context they are used. I also am not sure i agree anyway since the divorece rate in Sweden is higher then America.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
They sure do, but they have higher taxes.

i often wonder though if european countries have all the added taxes we have...such as sales tax...death taxes.....local taxes.....taxes to protect the watershed....property tax. I had an economics teacher in hs who said they didn't and that if you added those in our taxes were actually the same...though he might of been full of it as well.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
i often wonder though if european countries have all the added taxes we have...such as sales tax...death taxes.....local taxes.....taxes to protect the watershed....property tax. I had an economics teacher in hs who said they didn't and that if you added those in our taxes were actually the same...though he might of been full of it as well.
It might be a wash... Can't say I'm sure.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
The problem is you can't use stats as proof when you don't tell us in what context they are used. I also am not sure i agree anyway since the divorece rate in Sweden is higher then America.
"Then" America? I give up.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
"Then" America? I give up.

Oh hush...you know what i meant

Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
Quote:
You see, Ellie, these unmarried couples in Sweden may very well be way more committed than married couples in the US. The reason many don't marry in the wealthier European countries is that women get better benefits as single mothers.
I did not know that. I heard about the lengthy maternity leave, but that was all. Funny how that can't happen here in this country. Instead of giving single and working moms better benefits, they would rather marry us off.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 PM

422 posts, read 649,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I did not know that. I heard about the lengthy maternity leave, but that was all. Funny how that can't happen here in this country. Instead of giving single and working moms better benefits, they would rather marry us off.

I don't get it either. And why should being married cut your maternity leave/benefits at all? Even the most ideal man doesn't have to physically and mentally recuperate from giving birth so why should it matter if the mother is married ? America is NOT about families as it pretends. Its about money and keeping the average family in as much debt as possible. That prospers the wealthy elite. Seems unrealistic to some but its true.

Back on topic how do you collect statistics on a segment of a population that has no formal records (married vs living together) if it is a survey participants can write whatever they like. I'm not buying this one. Its an apples to oranges comparison with too many vatriables anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships