Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,871 times

Advertisements

Well even if you're not a celebrity follower you have heard the news of Prince William's engagement to lovely, elegant, Kate Middleton.
I am curious how others have reacted to the his sentimental decision to bestow Diana's gorgeous but tragic diamond and saphirre ring to Kate. Without getting into Royalty gossip and the like, I had a slightly ominous feeling about this and have now learned that they may wed at Westminster Abbey where Diana's funeral was held.

From a relationship standpoint I wonder for Kate and for any bride to be if physically wearing on a daily basis the symbol of a dramatically failed marriage and even heavier the jewelry of a person who died unexpectedly and tragically must feel. Has anyone else worn the ring from a previously failed marriage and did it ever feel like your ring or did it perhaps carry a negative, dare I say, "vibration"?

It seems that the young but wise couple is trying very hard to learn from the error of Charles and Diana, and it seems many are asking if a new ring would have been a better symbol of their future happiness. I do think the giving of Diana's ring was an emotional decision by William who has stated that it seemed a way to have his mother present, but I also wonder if it was a bit of a publicity move to add to the Royal Mystique as Diana's ring was so very iconic and trend setting. It adds pressure to Kate to be an iconic princess as well.

History is full of stories of "cursed" rings and stones, which will hopefully prove mere superstition in this case. I really do think they are in love..Any thoughts or stories??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
I think that it isn't important. A beautiful ring is a beautiful ring regardless of its origins. If their marriage is set on strong foundations and they are a good match for one another, that is a better predictor for marriage success then some ring blessed by the dali lama, the pope, and every other religious/spritiual leader in the world.

In short i think curses and lucky things and other hocus pocus is a bunch of hodge podge. Same with ghosts and other superstitutions.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Unless a diamond is certified conflict-free with a pedigree you can trace to Canada, you run the risk of it having a tragic past, no superstition required.

[youtube]Avv6tF6biI0[/youtube]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avv6tF6biI0[/URL]

Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
My Dh had his G-Grandmothers diamond remade into an engement ring for me. I really love the history of the diamond.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I thought that was creepy too. I am not so sure I would like that ring.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
If I were her I think I'd probably be more honored than anything else. Diana was quite a decent person (or so I understand) and for him to give her that ring after years of dating is a huge thing.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
I think that it isn't important. A beautiful ring is a beautiful ring regardless of its origins. If their marriage is set on strong foundations and they are a good match for one another, that is a better predictor for marriage success then some ring blessed by the dali lama, the pope, and every other religious/spritiual leader in the world.

In short i think curses and lucky things and other hocus pocus is a bunch of hodge podge. Same with ghosts and other superstitutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
If I were her I think I'd probably be more honored than anything else. Diana was quite a decent person (or so I understand) and for him to give her that ring after years of dating is a huge thing.
I agree with both of you. I think Kate and William are a true love-match, and I think she has a maturity that allows her to understand the emotions that go along with the beautiful ring that William gave her. I think that in many relationships, how a man treats his mother is a good indication of how he will treat his wife. There is no doubt how William felt about his mother, and I think he honors his mother AND his fiancee with his choice of rings.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Unless a diamond is certified conflict-free with a pedigree you can trace to Canada, you run the risk of it having a tragic past, no superstition required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avv6tF6biI0
I would love to rep you for this

Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM

175 posts, read 750,453 times
you should probably look at the economy too, look how much that ring costs, its not like you can auction off Diana's ring either. William has to give Kate a nice ring because of who he is, but because of who he is the british tax payers believe they are paying for the ring and the wedding.

If you were the royal family would you hire a horse and carriage for the ceremony or use the horses and carriages you all ready own because everyone knows you have some of the nicest ones already? Why buy a new ring when there are so many for you to choose from?

PS William stated that giving Kate his mother's ring was a symbolic way to let Diana be there in the wedding and their lives together afterward

Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,020 times
While I understand the sentiment behind William giving Kate Diana's ring, I think it would just be too sad a reminder of her loss.
Perhaps it would have been more approproiate to give their daughter, or pass it on down to their son.
I would have preferred my own special ring, it's not like he can't afford something from Tiffany or Cartier!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Well even if you're not a celebrity follower you have heard the news of Prince William's engagement to lovely, elegant, Kate Middleton.
I am curious how others have reacted to the his sentimental decision to bestow Diana's gorgeous but tragic diamond and saphirre ring to Kate. Without getting into Royalty gossip and the like, I had a slightly ominous feeling about this and have now learned that they may wed at Westminster Abbey where Diana's funeral was held.

From a relationship standpoint I wonder for Kate and for any bride to be if physically wearing on a daily basis the symbol of a dramatically failed marriage and even heavier the jewelry of a person who died unexpectedly and tragically must feel. Has anyone else worn the ring from a previously failed marriage and did it ever feel like your ring or did it perhaps carry a negative, dare I say, "vibration"?

It seems that the young but wise couple is trying very hard to learn from the error of Charles and Diana, and it seems many are asking if a new ring would have been a better symbol of their future happiness. I do think the giving of Diana's ring was an emotional decision by William who has stated that it seemed a way to have his mother present, but I also wonder if it was a bit of a publicity move to add to the Royal Mystique as Diana's ring was so very iconic and trend setting. It adds pressure to Kate to be an iconic princess as well.

History is full of stories of "cursed" rings and stones, which will hopefully prove mere superstition in this case. I really do think they are in love..Any thoughts or stories??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships