Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 01:20 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times

Advertisements

I attended a wedding yesterday 11/20/2010 at Our Lady of Angels Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles. It's a truly impressive building; an architectural marvel without the typical array of saintly statues. The floor inside the church is at a 5 degree incline from the altar to the last pew.

The pastor who did the wedding looked and sounded a bit like food critic Anthony Bourdain. He tried - and succeeded - to give a contemporary twist to the ceremony by often sitting amongst the guests, and welcoming people of other faiths, or practitioners of no faith such as myself.

Because the church is so enormous, all 200 guests occupied no more than both sides of the first 10 to 12 pews (i.e., it looked to be about an eigth of its seating capacity). The remainder of the pews were empty. Towards the end of the service, and before annoucing the couple as husband and wife, the pastor asked them to walk together towards the end of the aisle between the pews. We watched as the couple hand-in-hand slowly made their way past the guests, towards the end of the aisle where only empty pews were found. The couple then turned and faced the altar. To paraphrase the pastor, he said something akin to the following as he addressed the couple:

"Notice that as you left the altar together, you walked past friends and family; people who love and care for you. And while not entirely difficult, it was nevertheless an uphill climb to get from where you were to where you now are. Marriage is no different. You start your journey surrounded by friends and family. But in the end, you only have yourselves to hold on to."

I think this is nothing short of poetic, and a great marital metaphor worthy of sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 02:06 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times

Thanks for sharing!!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Now I'm hungry.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:52 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
that was really beautiful and quite true.
i know in my own marriage we have never shared our problems, arguments or hardships with our family and freinds. even while living with my parents for 3 years of our marriage, they never knew if something was going on between us. we always have kept it between us.
we only have ourselves--as you say--to hold on to, to blame, to sympathise, to love etc.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Yeah, but did they have booze at the reception?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:55 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
marriage sucks

Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I attended a wedding yesterday 11/20/2010 at Our Lady of Angels Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles. It's a truly impressive building; an architectural marvel without the typical array of saintly statues. The floor inside the church is at a 5 degree incline from the altar to the last pew.

The pastor who did the wedding looked and sounded a bit like food critic Anthony Bourdain. He tried - and succeeded - to give a contemporary twist to the ceremony by often sitting amongst the guests, and welcoming people of other faiths, or practitioners of no faith such as myself.

Because the church is so enormous, all 200 guests occupied no more than both sides of the first 10 to 12 pews (i.e., it looked to be about an eigth of its seating capacity). The remainder of the pews were empty. Towards the end of the service, and before annoucing the couple as husband and wife, the pastor asked them to walk together towards the end of the aisle between the pews. We watched as the couple hand-in-hand slowly made their way past the guests, towards the end of the aisle where only empty pews were found. The couple then turned and faced the altar. To paraphrase the pastor, he said something akin to the following as he addressed the couple:

"Notice that as you left the altar together, you walked past friends and family; people who love and care for you. And while not entirely difficult, it was nevertheless an uphill climb to get from where you were to where you now are. Marriage is no different. You start your journey surrounded by friends and family. But in the end, you only have yourselves to hold on to."

I think this is nothing short of poetic, and a great marital metaphor worthy of sharing.
I experienced no difficulty, and it was not an "uphill climb" to get from where I was to where I am now. I disagree with these words entirely..in fact I find the words this pastor said to be rather sssaaaddd.. Becoming married does not mean you loose any of the love and support of family and friends, and I don't understand what he means when he says " in the end"..Does he mean after the ceromony??, because for sure then I would want only ourselves to hold onto...But in the future?? where does he think all your friends and family go????

Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
YES! but he forgot to mention its DOWNHILL from there!

Jonathan

Old 11-25-2010, 12:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
HaHa,....be nice

Last edited by purehuman; 11-25-2010 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: poor spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships