Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times

Advertisements

we have worst gift you have ever gotten from a SO
Now lets have a BEST GIFT thread.

I *LOVE* giving gifts, and making them as special as I can, I go to great pains to record and remember tiny hints and comments on something she likes so I can spring it on her...

Some of my favorites.

My friend Ann turned 40, so I conspired with her neighbor to break into her house (while Ann and I where at dinner) and decorate it for a surprise birthday party (stuffed animals, flowers, party favors, champagne)
when I took her home, I asked if I can use the bathroom before heading home, we walked upstairs, and opened the door and was FLOORED!
it was great!!!!

I was dating a woman who lived in Florida (pre-911) and she was in town visiting her parents, and then heading home. I offered to drive her to the airport, and wanted to see her off, so I parked the car (in long term parking by mistake) and we had a hugging and tearful kissing goodbye and my promise to come down as soon as I could.
she has many gifts from me, and had trouble carrying them, so I offered to carry them to the gate for her, and at the gate I 'snuck' past the ticket taker, and walked on the plane - she trailing behind me.
I said "don't worry i'm just gonna put the stuff in the plane, then I will leave" I put all the gifts in the overhead and sat down telling her "don't say anything" she was freaking out and warned me I was going to get busted.. The doors closed, and I was sitting there.. (very smug looking, I have such a MAJOR smile on my face at the memory) and I told her, I called the airline, and booked the seat next to hers, brought my luggage to the terminal hours before, and checked it.

she was gobsmacked! - It was the BEST!!!!

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
A wedding ring. December 28, 2000.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
we have worst gift you have ever gotten from a SO
Now lets have a BEST GIFT thread.

I *LOVE* giving gifts, and making them as special as I can, I go to great pains to record and remember tiny hints and comments on something she likes so I can spring it on her...

Some of my favorites.

My friend Ann turned 40, so I conspired with her neighbor to break into her house (while Ann and I where at dinner) and decorate it for a surprise birthday party (stuffed animals, flowers, party favors, champagne)
when I took her home, I asked if I can use the bathroom before heading home, we walked upstairs, and opened the door and was FLOORED!
it was great!!!!

I was dating a woman who lived in Florida (pre-911) and she was in town visiting her parents, and then heading home. I offered to drive her to the airport, and wanted to see her off, so I parked the car (in long term parking by mistake) and we had a hugging and tearful kissing goodbye and my promise to come down as soon as I could.
she has many gifts from me, and had trouble carrying them, so I offered to carry them to the gate for her, and at the gate I 'snuck' past the ticket taker, and walked on the plane - she trailing behind me.
I said "don't worry i'm just gonna put the stuff in the plane, then I will leave" I put all the gifts in the overhead and sat down telling her "don't say anything" she was freaking out and warned me I was going to get busted.. The doors closed, and I was sitting there.. (very smug looking, I have such a MAJOR smile on my face at the memory) and I told her, I called the airline, and booked the seat next to hers, brought my luggage to the terminal hours before, and checked it.

she was gobsmacked! - It was the BEST!!!!

Jonathan
Those are very clever! I especially like the plane ticket one. What a great surprise!

Best gifts I have recieved.. a trip to Italy from my current SO. Another gift that stands out was one from when I was married. My husband had noticed that I had been browsing online at some artwork prints. I had marked my favorite piece for my own good so that someday I would splurge and buy it but mostly it was just a dream. On my birthday I was completely surprised by it! He had gone online after me and discovered how I had marked it. And what made it so great was that he was never the artsy kind of guy. But he went beyond his own tastes to give me something really special.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM

52,254 posts, read 52,668,250 times
When I first started seeing my SO way back... We only knew each other a few weeks. I had mentioned to her that I like Pearl Jam.

Well my birthday was a month later and guess what she got me.

A Pearl Jam CD.

I was the best present cause she actually paid attention to what I had said in a casual off the cuff comment.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
MACGEEK those are great stories!!

well since i put my poor DH under the bus on the "worst gift thread", it's only fair to say that over the years he has gotten me many wonderful gifts. but the best ones are the ones he thinks of himself that he show how much he undersstands me and how much he is paying attention. it could cost $1, but if it shows he is paying attention, it's worth a million.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
My husband always gets me awesome gifts, usually jewelry or gadgets! I wish I could list everything!

But approx. 10 years ago he bought me an Empeg for my truck and had it installed. It was something totally unique, but yet something I used all the time. (There were no MP3 players for vehicles at the time.) Eventually some kids broke into my truck and stole it. Sad part is that they probably had no idea what it was, nor the software to run it.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
BEST Gift you have gotten from a S.O
Love and friendship.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Love and friendship.
That's deep. I think I shed a tear on that one! (kiddin!!! )

Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
That's deep. I think I shed a tear on that one! (kiddin!!! )
*shrug* everything else breaks, disappears or gets sold on eBay. The OP's actions were nice because they WERE "actions" - not material things.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Red face A gift that keeps giving

A new wedding ring.

Back in 2005 my left hand was torn apart in some industrial equipment down in Texas. Unfortunately my wedding ring was destroyed in the process . When my wonderful wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas all I wanted was my wedding ring back, even though I have to wear it on my right hand now.

To me that was the best gift I have ever gotten in my life, "what represent my love for her".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships