Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

Assuming those oats are being sown responsibly and honestly, I'm all for it. Those young adult years are a time for youthful hyjinx, and discovering who you are and what your values are. It's healthy to get that out of your system before undertaking all of the responsibilities of full-fledged adulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 02:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I spent a lot of my time being overly afraid of STD's.. pretty bad hypochondriac.

I have been with enough, do I wish I slept with more? Yeah maybe a little. If I did sleep with more.. would I have wish I'd have slept with a few more? Most likely.

I'm happy who I'm with and don't really worry about it though.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
Yes. Best not to wonder what things can be like 20 years into your marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yeah. I am all about exploring when you are young so you appreciate what you have once you want a real relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
I indulged in such things during my teens and early 20s. My philosophy being: enjoy it while you can!

Now that I approaching a quarter-century, and have settled down into a very strong personal relationship, I feel absolved of all those heady days of such "empty" indulgences. Absolutely no regrets, but am glad i did those things when I did, so that I can say "been there, done that!"

But that's just me.

Agree with all of these.

Zola…they might have been empty but some sure were fun, lol.

But it is still best with someone you love

Old 03-14-2017, 07:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You can sow or not sow, it won't keep things from happening down the line.
How do you KNOW that? I don't think a study has been done, and certainly not a controlled study!

I'd say that generally, just like you need to learn what you like in a person in GENERAL, sowing oats is the exact same concept - it's just one more facet of the relationship. For some it's more important than for others. Disregard it totally at your own peril! That said, you'll be more prepared (and wiser) to make a smart choice but there are no guarantees. Just because not all marriages to "sowers" last forever doesn't mean there isn't some value for other sowers!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Depends on the person.

Me personally, I don't care about variety or experiencing different people. Seems overrated, but to each their own.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Depends on the person.

Me personally, I don't care about variety or experiencing different people. Seems overrated, but to each their own.

True but different people open your eyes to different experiences. Some you might never know you like. And I'm not just talking about sex, lol. Before Mike I never knew how much I enjoyed construction projects and remodeling houses. For 20 years now I have had so much fun. What if I settled 25 years ago and never knew this about myself?

So yes I think we need to experience differences. So many people are sadly unhappy today....what if they had changed it up sooner?

Just a thought.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How do you KNOW that? I don't think a study has been done, and certainly not a controlled study!

I'd say that generally, just like you need to learn what you like in a person in GENERAL, sowing oats is the exact same concept - it's just one more facet of the relationship. For some it's more important than for others. Disregard it totally at your own peril! That said, you'll be more prepared (and wiser) to make a smart choice but there are no guarantees. Just because not all marriages to "sowers" last forever doesn't mean there isn't some value for other sowers!

I once read a study done by a university some time back. It mentioned that the people who slept around more actually had a higher chance of divorce.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I once read a study done by a university some time back. It mentioned that the people who slept around more actually had a higher chance of divorce.

There are too many variables. How large was the study group? What were their backgrounds?

Here is one I know of. SO's family. Six kids. 5 married the first person they slept with. One did not. Four of them ended up divorced.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's not the same thing - did they divorce specifically because they slept with others and were more experienced? Or if you sleep with more people are you generally less "conventional" and not as concerned with staying married? Just because two things happen together doesn't mean that one is the direct cause of the other....it's just CORRELATION.

People have used the exact same argument against living together....unconventional people do ALL KINDS of unconventional things...travel more, eat weird food - do those things cause divorces?

Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 PM

622 posts, read 396,087 times
My husband and I were each other's first and only. We both wondered if it would be different with other partners but not enough to do anything about it. Now that I'm widowed and dating again, I am learning I like different things about different men (I'm not just talking sex) and wonder if I'll ever be lucky enough to find all those best qualities in one man. I sure hope so. So yes, I think it's a good idea to explore your options when you are young to learn what you really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships