Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times

Advertisements

My 65 yr old father has met a 45 yr old lady, that is unemployed and on disability. She is also a recovering alcoholic.

My father has known her for a few months and has bought her sob story. He also has a year or two to live. He can sleep several hours at a time when feeling really sick or the next few day he can be normal.

So this lady that could be his daughter given their 20 year age difference has been talking to him about moving in and living there for free. I'm really annoyed and if that ever happened and I see her I'm going to make her feel really really uncomfortable. A few other relatives have expresed their concern as well. It's pretty clear what is going on. This lady is a freeloader loser trying to sponge off of him. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,182 times
Make sure they had plenty of booze stacked up...sounds like they are gonna need it.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Sounds like your dad is lonely and knowing he doesn't have much time left, he is looking for companionship and someone who will take care of him. He doesn't want to die "alone". The best hope you have of keeping this woman away is for a family member to move in with him instead.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Sounds like your dad is lonely and knowing he doesn't have much time left, he is looking for companionship and someone who will take care of him. He doesn't want to die "alone". The best hope you have of keeping this woman away is for a family member to move in with him instead.

Well, I visit and stay at his place. He kind of already knows better than to have her there. I haven't even met her but I know enough.

He's not going to die alone. He's got family around. He friends with his neighbors and other people in the area that invite him to dinner and other things. He's got a lot of friends, family and aquaintences. This lady has nothing to offer, but a paid girlfriend.

He's just a sucker for losers.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:07 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
You didn't mention whether or not he is financialy secure.
If he is, or even if he isn't, make sure she doesn't have access to any way of getting to his money. She just might be looking for a sugar daddy with the pretense of being a friend or companion.
It happens everyday.
I would be very suspicious of her intentions. But as long as your Dad is strong of mind and capable of making his own decisions there isn't much you can do to keep him from letting her move in except to express your concerns and be very observant of her behavior and his wellfare.
With family and friends around he doesn't need her. But it sounds like she may need him. And it may just for her benefit. Not his.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
And if she does move in, make your own visits more frequent and enlist the help of other family members, friends and neighbors to be in the house as much as possible so the woman's activities can be monitored. I doubt she would be very comfortable being under watchful eyes all the time ...

Keep this all as normal as possible and don't try and get between her and your father because whether or not she moves in is ultimately your father's choice. Be polite at all times, despite your feelings.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Be certain he has an IRON CLAD will in place BEFORE she moves in. THe woman is a free loader, or worse, if you ask me.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I've seen this happen often enough that I know there's not a thing you can do about it except to suck it up. He may have plenty of family but he doesn't get the kind of attn from them that he does from her and it would be weird if he did but that's the way it is. So, STT had some good advice--it's the best you can do right now. And I'm sorry you're losing your dad and now this stress on top of it. Hang in there.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Alterior motives aside, would your father be better off living with her or not? If he'd be better of living with someone why do you care if you're not willing to live with him. He's lonely and she wants a free place to stay. This just might work for both of them.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
I agree with the others, having seen this before. If his mental faculties are right, you have to suck it up and accept the fact that he wants a female companion for his remaining days. if you put yourself in his position, it's easy to see why. Stay close to him, that's all you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships