Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,928,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've carried a similar knife (but smaller), in my purse since I was 17 (and that is a loooong time! ). I can't tell you how many times that knife has come in handy.
Rule number 9 or is it 10. Always carry a knife.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM

52,446 posts, read 52,990,881 times
Quote:
I've carried a similar knife, in my purse, since I was 17 (and that is a loooong time! ). I can't tell you how many times that knife has come in handy.
I know... You never know when you gotta shiv someone.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM

18,257 posts, read 14,492,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Turned out I could've had pretty flowers since the 31st, but my doorbell evidently is broken and I wasn't aware of it. Actually, it's a miracle I showed my nose outside and saw the note even today as we don't really use front doors in my neck of the woods... Anyway, I have them now! Even though they're just from the office, it's still nice and thoughtful of them.
It was a good day for you, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I always suspected you folks were all back-door types...
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You know how sometimes things disappear, even when you look into the smallest crevices to find them?

I lost a pocketknife that my father had given to me over 40 years ago. Nothing fancy - a Schrade #610T Old Timer, by manufacturer and model - but it was the last thing my Dad gave me before passing on. It meant a lot to me. I was always aware of where it was, always took care of it.

Well, several days ago I had a few of the ladies up in my apartment. We were partying mellow-style, no drama, no problems. One had brought her Rottie puppy in (for me to babysit ) and it was being a puppy, destroying everything in sight.

The next day I found that my knife was gone.

First thing I did, was to check the apartment out. Figured the puppy had knocked it off the table where I had foolishly left it and carried it somewhere. I spent days checking my apartment looking for that knife. I looked in dresser drawers, under the tables and beds, in all the boxes and bags that I have. I went over the floor and carpeting with a fine-tooth comb. Nothing. It got to the point where I even asked the ladies if they had accidentally taken it with them when they left, but they all responded in the negative.

Gave the knife up for gone. Maybe the puppy swallowed it.

Today I look down, SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 3'x5' BEIGE ORIENTAL RUG in PLAIN SIGHT is the knife.

...I think the resident ghosts were messing with me again...
Spooky. Do you think your dad is trying to tell you something? Have you been sleep-walking lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Well I know my opinion on this hot-button issue is probably not going to be too popular here, but...

1) The US has some of the best quality healthcare, it's just the cost that is outrageous and it isn't available to everyone. I have family abroad and the ones with a lot of money fly over here for specialized medical treatments.

2) You can't demonize all medicine and medical breakthroughs because that is what, generally speaking, has increased life expectancy around the world. On the other hand, that opens up a whole other can of worms when you consider the fact that we haven't allowed natural selection to occur, leaving only the healthiest of the gene pool in the population.

3) The industrialized world has the fastest growing population with allergies, asthma and autoimmune disorders. One hypothesis is that the "cleaner" we are (vaccines, anti-bacterials, disinfectants, etc.) the more it impacts our health, since we aren't allowing our bodies to naturally build up immunity to bacteria and other antigens that are around us. In this case, we should all wish we were more like cockroaches, those hardy little buggers..

Just offering my personal opinion and not looking to enter a heated debate.

Hope you feel better, Temp.

Glad everything worked out for you both, SD4020 & hopedelivers.
Thanks for the well-wishes.

No debate from me either. Everyone has a right to their personal opinion.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Rule number 9 or is it 10. Always carry a knife.

I carry one too. It's small, but I can still damage someone if the sharp edges get runned across someone's neck.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,302,372 times
I am lucky to find an old Chik-fil-a straw in my purse to defend myself! You guys are the real deal, carrying shanks and all!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM

37,809 posts, read 46,333,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Turned out I could've had pretty flowers since the 31st, but my doorbell evidently is broken and I wasn't aware of it. Actually, it's a miracle I showed my nose outside and saw the note even today as we don't really use front doors in my neck of the woods... Anyway, I have them now! Even though they're just from the office, it's still nice and thoughtful of them.
How sweet! I'm generally not a love-to-get-flowers kind of gal, but truly, it is nice to get them!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM

52,446 posts, read 52,990,881 times
Quote:
How sweet! I'm generally not a love-to-get-flowers kind of gal, but truly, it is nice to get them!
One time I brought home a very modest bouquet of flowers and Mrs. Chow was just pleased.... I was too, we were making a nice dinner that night and had the flowers in a vase in the kitchen while we cooked and listened to some nice music.

It was quite nice.....

Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Lmao, sorry if I scared a few people.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am lucky to find an old Chik-fil-a straw in my purse to defend myself! You guys are the real deal, carrying shanks and all!
Darn tootin'. A rather dodgy fellow seemed to follow me to my car one night when I was getting off work, and I turned around and glowered at him. He slunk off...but he succeeded in freaking me out a bit. I bought a knife the next day...and I've had it ever since.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
One time I brought home a very modest bouquet of flowers and Mrs. Chow was just pleased.... I was too, we were making a nice dinner that night and had the flowers in a vase in the kitchen while we cooked and listened to some nice music.

It was quite nice.....

Yeah...I bet you were cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships