Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

What would be your reaction if you met a person, who seemed normal in person, but then a Google search revealed that this person was a member of every social networking site ever conceived? This includes Facebook, Twitter, Hi5, MyLife, MySpace, Bebo, Friendster, Picasa, eHarmony, Match.com. and OkCupid.

Is it just me or is that weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:41 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What would be your reaction if you met a person, who seemed normal in person, but then a Google search revealed that this person was a member of every social networking site ever conceived? This includes Facebook, Twitter, Hi5, MyLife, MySpace, Bebo, Friendster, Picasa, eHarmony, Match.com. and OkCupid.

i guess i would view this person as someone who does nothing but sit at home on the computer.
women complain about guys being couch potatoes, now i think there's more internet potatoes

Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
Honestly? these days nothing surprises me. LOL I figure if you have something that important to talk about then by all means, knock yourself out. I'm on here (CD), I'm on Facebook. That's it though. I don't play the games on FB, I don't have 4,000 friends, in fact, I have less than 40-50 and all of them I know and all of them I talk to and consider my actual friends.
I use it for planning events, catching up wtih friends when the phone tag becomes monotonous and that's about it. Can you overdo it? It's not much different (to me anyway) than a person who loves television and has 300 channels. Ya know? lol

Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I wouldn't think it's weird, I'd just think they have too much time on their hands...

Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
i guess i would view this person as someone who does nothing but sit at home on the computer.
women complain about guys being couch potatoes, now i think there's more internet potatoes
Keep in mind that you can "social network" from anywhere with the power of the iPhone or the Droid.

"Work is so boring...can't wait for Lost reruns tonight lol @ Everybody #smh #wheredeydothatat # fml RT goolagong."

"BajanYankee is updating his Twitter status on his iPhone4." 23 seconds ago via Social Scope

"Hey Everybody! I just deleted all of my contacts. Hit me up @ BBM PIN 0123456, or on MySpace, or at 123 Garden Lane, Washington, DC 20220, or at (202) 555-3737" RT BajanYankee via Twitter

"BajanYankee just checked into his living room on Foursquare."

"BajanYankee just added 4 new photo albums (1,041 photos)"

"Could someone please bring me a roll of toilet tissue? #bowelmovements #smh #shouldnthaveeatenthat"

Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that you can "social network" from anywhere with the power of the iPhone or the Droid.

"Work is so boring...can't wait for Lost reruns tonight lol @ Everybody #smh #wheredeydothatat # fml RT goolagong."

"BajanYankee is updating his Twitter status on his iPhone4." 23 seconds ago via Social Scope

"BajanYankee just checked into his living room on Foursquare."

"BajanYankee just added 4 new photo albums (1,041 photos)"

"Could someone please bring me a roll of toilet tissue? #bowelmovements #smh #shouldnthaveeatenthat"

Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
lol its annoying to be honest. I already can only barely tolerate my girlfriend's constant email and facebook checking. I dont think its healthy for a person to replace too much of their real life social interaction with internet social media.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,896,720 times
I find it hard to believe when women of all ages are on the phone inside the stalls of every ladies' restroom I happen to visit.

My boyfriend and I went out and had Japanese food one evening during the Christmas holidays and there was a woman at the sushi bar (with many people seated around her) who was ignoring everyone and looking at her phone with her male companion. Instead of focusing on her sushi in front of her, or conversing with the sushi chefs, she must have been staring at her phone for more than 15 minutes. From where our booth was situated, we could see her quite plainly. It was pretty noticeable and somewhat out of place.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 01-06-2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Better sentence structure.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:

Being a member on a site doesn't necessarily mean you're active. A lot of people join just to try it out. And even regular users may use them sparingly. But if someone is active on a lot of sites, the first thing I'd wonder is how they find the time. I'm fortunate (or unfortunate) to have a job where I sit idle for 2-3 minute stretches where I'm waiting for some automated process to run. That doesn't leave me enough time to work on another project, but it does leave time to post a message on a forum such as this one. The problem I have with sites like Facebook and Twitter is that you're basically writing about yourself. And not just anything, but some of the most mundane things like how you're feeling or what you just ate. If you think anyone is interested in reading that, you must have a pretty high opinion of yourself. So learning that someone is not a member of a lot of sites, but also very active on them sends up the "narcissist" red flag.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
It's not weird if the person initially has multiple accounts, but if they sustained all of them as the relationship progressed that would be strange.

When I met my hubby we ended up deleting all of our social network accounts. I should probably delete this account too, but it won't let me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships