Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,914 times

Advertisements

I hate big flashy weddings and big flashy engagement rings… and I am a woman!

Over the holiday period, a male co-worker got married and he said that his bride has only a wedding band, no engagement ring.

I asked another one of my female co-workers if she would be happy with this and she said “No way in hell!!! I want a big shiny diamond!!!”

I really really hate this attitude. Shouldn’t his love and commitment to her be enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,176 times
I'm with you. I'm not into expensive weddings, rings or even gifts. To me, that doesn't show how much a person loves you by how much they spend on you.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 PM

90 posts, read 321,591 times
Sorry, the media took over on this one. It's a flood now, too late to stop the pabulum we are spoon fed by the networks.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profgent1 View Post
Sorry, the media took over on this one. It's a flood now, too late to stop the pabulum we are spoon fed by the networks.
I was also going to add that to my comment. I think that people see things on TV and feel that they deserve to have whatever someone else has. It's like a bunch of sheep. It really is pathetic how people can't even do their things without worrying about what people think.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profgent1 View Post
It’s just terrible!

Women expect their men to be these perfect prince charmings who give them the perfect ring and the perfect dress and the perfect wedding, and when they don’t get that they become disappointed and end their union! The expectations are so unrealistic and I was so disgusted at my co-worker’s attitude.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I hate big flashy weddings and big flashy engagement rings… and I am a woman!

Over the holiday period, a male co-worker got married and he said that his bride has only a wedding band, no engagement ring.

I asked another one of my female co-workers if she would be happy with this and she said “No way in hell!!! I want a big shiny diamond!!!”

I really really hate this attitude. Shouldn’t his love and commitment to her be enough?
I agree some people want things because.....they think they're meant to.

there is an element of competition too, I suspect....

personally, one ring is more than enough for me (no eternity rings and the engagement ring can double for wedding ring).

Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Don't care about the big show, myself. But to each, her own. Some people like to have a token to show off.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Mrs Chamataka said no costly rings and no costly wedding parties. Let's put our savings on the house instead. I nodded with both my antlers

Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
I have a traditional gold wedding band, no diamond engagement ring. It's very old school.

The 20k that I could have spent on a diamond went towards paying for much more than a silly rock.

I guess some people are just princesses. If they can afford it, then let them have it. But still, I hate when people flash a gaudy ring in my face...

It was funny while shopping for rings. A salesperson was pitching a gold ring with a diamond on the INSIDE of the band... "It will be your secret" he said. I barfed all over his jewelry counter laughing.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I'm of the "take the money you'd have put into an expensive [fill in the blank with random trapping for show], and we'll put that into a memorable trip, instead" school of thought.

I prefer experiences to tokens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships