Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Found it, copied and pasted....

What a woman says: "This place is a mess C'mon, you and I need to clean up. Your stuff is lying on the floor, and you'll have no clothes to wear, if we don't do laundry right now!"

What a man hears: blah, blah, blah, blah, C'mon blah, blah, blah, blah, you and I blah, blah, blah, blah, on the floor blah, blah, blah, blah, no clothes blah, blah, blah, blah, right now !

Last edited by TKramar; 01-27-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
if it is wrong!! why does man need to listen to woman ??

Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
seriously though, this happened to me earlier today.

my room mate--a woman--told me that once again she found someone parking in her handicapped spot.

Now...what am I going to do to fix it or solve that for her? So I didn't say anything. She accused me of not listening, when the fact was I HEARD her, I just didn't have an answer for her problem. I understand it's a problem but I don't have an answer.

I could have said, "Well, call the cops on them then." and she would have replied, "I KNOW that." Sounds to me like she has the "solution" figured out, doesn't it? She doesn't need me to tell her what she already knows. So how am I supposed to respond?

I hear her, but I have nothing to offer in response.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Chicks just have this way of talking so much it is just crazy. I hate when my wife goes "are you listening to me?", who the hell can listen to some one talking a mile a minute? I just try to tune in to the key points.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
If i read one more of these articles in which women are put out to be shrieking harpies and men the long suffering being i am going to shriek. Most of the guys that act like this don't do it because of any of the above reasons, but rather because they are douche bags.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Same here!!

I feel like a student who has to take in every little thing he has said, and if I repeat the story “so, this and this happened?†or offer advice and I get it wrong, he gets agitated, tells me I am “missing the point!†and things like that.

I think I will take a leaf out of your book and just listen from now on.

Amazing how we have to cop all that but they can’t listen to one emotional thing we have to say without tuning out.

pffft if my mate did that to me, then when he came home with his problem i would tell him to have a coke and a smile and shut the **** up .

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I think a big part of the problem lies in the fact that, apparently, if a woman verbalizes anything other than sunshine, rainbows, and light, it's considered "whining." Even the article uses such verbiage. Not "voicing a concern," "discussing a problem," "airing a grievance," or even "expressing sadness or hurt." Interesting choice of words. If the prevailing mentality is that if there's something that needs to be discussed, you're a whiner, there's really little wonder that communication problems are so rampant.

I have heard many a guy go off about frustrations. I've never heard it referred to as "whining."

Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This contradicts what a lot of women say. Many don't actually want the man to attempt to solve the problem. They simply want him to listen. Besides, if the complaining is about something with no solution or something completely silly, then are you simply supposed to sit there and listen? I don't think that's fair to the person doing the listening. A good partner should be there to talk to, but you should also respect them enough to know where to draw the line.
You are right. Most women don't want you to try to solve their problem. They already know the solution and the solution may just be...deal with it.

Quote:
Besides, if the complaining is about something with no solution or something completely silly, then are you simply supposed to sit there and listen?
I know this answer is going to be hard especially if the majority of the women you know complain about silly things. You have to put a stop to it early on.

Hey, you sound frustrated, is there anything I can do for you? ----I just want you to listen. ------I did and you sound frustrated. Maybe you can take a warm shower. I'll set the table tonight.

When I complain, I am often reflecting on my social interactions earlier that day. That for me is the worst time to have a conversation with anybody because my mind is somewhere else.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

my room mate--a woman--told me that once again she found someone parking in her handicapped spot.

Now...what am I going to do to fix it or solve that for her? So I didn't say anything. She accused me of not listening, when the fact was I HEARD her, I just didn't have an answer for her problem. I understand it's a problem but I don't have an answer.

I could have said, "Well, call the cops on them then." and she would have replied, "I KNOW that." Sounds to me like she has the "solution" figured out, doesn't it? She doesn't need me to tell her what she already knows. So how am I supposed to respond?

Here's your dialog...

Woman: "I'm so flippin' annoyed, someone parked in my handicap spot again...what is wrong with people?"

You: "Gee, sounds like someone parking in the handicap spot frustrates you. I know how hard that makes things for you. Can I help in any way?"

Taaaa DA!
Now she knows you are listening, you acknowledge her feelings and you offer to help, not a solution. That right there is called "active listening" and it works well for BOTH genders.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Some suggestions:

Sorry, honey. That stinks. Did you find a different spot?
Ugh, how annoying. I hate it when people do that.
I wish I was with you. I would have given that person a piece of my mind.
What a jerk! I'm sorry you had a rough day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships