Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That is the topic, and you got it, so there is no need for a full account of all human behavior. Yes, many want to be able to discuss an issue and receive support from a spouse. That's not really a big deal. It's not a matter of compromising values, personal autonomy, or any other great sacrifice on the part of a spouse. If it would be a great sacrifice for you, then simply don't be with a woman that has those needs.

I struggle with this expectation that many women have, how they should be able to say whatever they feel in a given moment, and as a boyfriend/husband/whatever, that I'm expected to agree. They refer to this as "support." And if the boyfriend/husband/SO doesn't agree, that he's supposed to lie about that, because that's "support."

As a male, I run things by people so they can shoot holes in my argument, and help me develop a better understanding of what i'm talking about. Honesty is critical to my idea of "support," and feeling good or feeling bad plays very little role in it.

I recognize that women see things differently, and (especially in relationships) I try to give them a really wide berth when it comes to gender-related things I don't understand or don't agree with. This is one I don't get. Why don't women vent to their female friends if they expect female support, and if they want male fix-it mentality, then ask the husband/boyfriend. Why insist that the square peg must fit in the round hole? Is there a subconscious craving for conflict?

Last edited by le roi; 01-31-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,323,572 times
It's no fun to be with someone who only pretends to listen to us and someone who basically only pretends to care about us. (For whatever reason!)...It takes work and effort at times to try to understand our partners but it's worth the effort to me! I don't want to pretend to care and pretend to listen and I don't want to be around someone who acts this way around me either.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,213,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I struggle with this expectation that many women have, how they should be able to say whatever they feel in a given moment, and as a boyfriend/husband/whatever, that I'm expected to agree. They refer to this as "support." And if the boyfriend/husband/SO doesn't agree, that he's supposed to lie about that.

As a male, I run things by people so they can shoot holes in my argument, and help me develop a better understanding of what i'm talking about. Honesty is critical to my idea of "support," and feeling good or feeling bad plays very little role in it.
I'm not sure what this means. Agree or don't agree? My dh got a C in orgo I a couple of years ago. His prof, who is actually on probation now, was a pain in the arse. He was pissed. And he didn't want to hear about my study habits. He didn't want to hear that when I was in college I'd assume drop a class or withdraw and retake it later before I'd get a C. He just wanted to talk and I can't imagine getting upset over him not accepting my way of dealing with HIS problem. I just listened, cared, nodded, said "I know baby, it's not fair", whatever.

Not everything is an argument. And as noted by Ivory, you simply may not be in a position or have the expertise to offer up solutions or poke holes in a given argument.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
I struggle with this expectation that many women have, how they should be able to say whatever they feel in a given moment, and as a boyfriend/husband/whatever, that I'm expected to agree. They refer to this as "support." And if the boyfriend/husband/SO doesn't agree, that he's supposed to lie about that, because that's "support."

I recognize that women see things differently, and (especially in relationships) I try to give them a really wide berth when it comes to gender-related things I don't understand or don't agree with. This is one I don't get. Why don't women vent to their female friends if they expect female support, and if they want male fix-it mentality, then ask the husband/boyfriend. Why insist that the square peg must fit in the round hole? Is there a subconscious craving for conflict?

For some crazy reason a lot of men misunderstand women on this issue

For the record, women do not want men to simply agree with them as a way of showing support. Certainly if you don't agree with your lady on something you are entitled to your own opinion! (though when she is upset may not be the time to voice that opinion).

Giving her emotional support DOES NOT mean you are saying you agree with her!

PLEASE REREAD THAT STATEMENT AND LET IT SINK IN.

You can be very supportive and disagree with her take on things at the same time.

You just have to say things like, I can see how upset you really are over this and I am so sorry such and such happened. OR, I am so upset to see how frustrated you are, that really sucks!

In other words, support HER, not her opinions.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Perhaps that's the case until we find the right one for us.
It's too strange that those relationships can only be observed on Internet forums...

Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what this means. Agree or don't agree? My dh got a C in orgo I a couple of years ago. His prof, who is actually on probation now, was a pain in the arse. He was pissed. And he didn't want to hear about my study habits. He didn't want to hear that when I was in college I'd assume drop a class or withdraw and retake it later before I'd get a C. He just wanted to talk and I can't imagine getting upset over him not accepting my way of dealing with HIS problem. I just listened, cared, nodded, said "I know baby, it's not fair", whatever.
I agree, although we seem to have different ideas of what constitutes a 'discussion.'

Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's too strange that those relationships can only be observed on Internet forums...
Good relationships? Don't be so pessimistic, sierra!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I agree, although we seem to have different ideas of what constitutes a 'discussion.'
Well, there is more than one type of discussion. Some warrant advice, some are just a matter of listening about your partners day, some are about making decisions together, etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Good relationships? Don't be so pessimistic, sierra!
I'm yet to see those listeners in real life... And not only in my relationships, that's for sure!

Truth of life

WHAT A WOMAN SAYS:

Cmon...This place is a mess!
You and I need to clean.
Your pants are on the floor
and you'll have no clothes
if we don't do laundry now!

WHAT A MAN HEARS:

C'MON....blah, blah, blah
YOU AND I blah, blah, blah
blah, blah ON THE FLOOR
blah, blah, blah, NO CLOTHES
blah, blah, blah, blah, NOW!

jardMail - Women Say/Men Hear (http://www.jardmail.co.uk/manwoman/manhears.shtml - broken link)

Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You just have to say things like, I can see how upset you really are over this and I am so sorry such and such happened. OR, I am so upset to see how frustrated you are, that really sucks!
You're talking about the situations where I already agree with her, where I already sympathize with what she's dealing with. Sure, that's easy.

I'm talking about the situations where I think she's wrong, where I think she's responsible for creating her own problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships