Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men, do you, or would you, wear an engagement ring?
No 22 59.46%
Yes, a small or simple ring 10 27.03%
Yes, a big or fancy ring 3 8.11%
Other (please see comments) 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,846,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Is there a difference between a wedding ring and an engagement ring? I thought they were the same thing but people moved them to the other hand when they got married.
An engagement ring usually has jewels; the most typical is a diamond solitaire, although there are all sorts. With one of those, a woman usually wears a simpler or plain wedding band on the same hand. You can buy a "wedding set," or an engagement ring and wedding ring that fit together. Sometimes women wear engagement rings on their right hands, but usually not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,944,370 times
Quote:
Is there a difference between a wedding ring and an engagement ring? I thought they were the same thing but people moved them to the other hand when they got married.
Oh good grief.

In the united states the ring is worn on the third finger of the left hand. A woman usaully is gifted an engagement ring with a diamond or other stone. Then when she is married she is given a wedding band that can be worn together or seperatly. Often the engagement ring and wedding ring are welded together to make a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Really?
I thought the same thing.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,504,276 times
Quote:
Really?
How was I supposed to know? As someone that's never getting married, I don't give much thought to these things nor do I care.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,937,449 times
Quote:
How was I supposed to know? As someone that's never getting married, I don't give much thought to these things nor do I care.
Sorry, dear, but it's hard to imagine that anyone who's been on Planet Earth for 19 years could not know about the tradition of engagement rings and the whole ritual, unless those years had been spent in a vacuum of sensory deprivation. I decided many years ago that I would never be a plumber or an electrician but I know how to turn on a faucet and flick a light switch.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM

37,823 posts, read 46,374,635 times
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, dear, but it's hard to imagine that anyone who's been on Planet Earth for 19 years could not know about the tradition of engagement rings and the whole ritual, unless those years had been spent in a vacuum of sensory deprivation. I decided many years ago that I would never be a plumber or an electrician but I know how to turn on a faucet and flick a light switch.
Not intending to dump on you city_data, but honestly it sorta defies belief that anyone that has reached the age of 18, would be so completely unaware of the world around him. You really do need to start paying attention. YOU may not care, but most of the women around you are going to be wondering what cave you've been living in.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM

52,457 posts, read 53,025,630 times
I work with electricity at times, so wearing metal objects isn't the smartest move........

Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,504,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not intending to dump on you city_data, but honestly it sorta defies belief that anyone that has reached the age of 18, would be so completely unaware of the world around him. You really do need to start paying attention. YOU may not care, but most of the women around you are going to be wondering what cave you've been living in.
There are so many different rings that I have a hard time keeping track of what's what. Some girls wear rings just for fun. It makes it hard to know whether or not she's taken.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,315,647 times
My husband said no and had a look on his face like it was the dorkiest thing he's ever heard of. He said it's because he has an irrational fear of wearing something girly because his mom bought him girls jeans once when he was a kid. Although he doesn't mind having 3 black and purple earrings in his ear

I did not vote though.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,418,884 times
I'm married and I have a nice gold band but don't wear it. And no, it's not for the reason you might think. On the contrary, I've found that enough women are attracted to what they can't get than are repelled by it. I just hate the feel of jewelry, any jewelry. Can't even wear a watch.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,315,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
He doesn't want to understand or pay attention to or even be aware of things he doesn't think are important or he doesn't want to do.

Sex is irrevevant because he doesn't want to do it. So therefore it has no impact on anything in his world. Same with marriage.

But just because I dont drink doesn't mean it can't impact my world. The fact that I choose not to drink doesn't prevent a drunk person from getting in thier car and smashing into mine.

But that's what he thinks and anyone who disagrees, especially if most people disagree, they are just trying to make him seem wrong or stupid and bullying him.

It's not true, but that's his perception of the (his) world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships