Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me, but these are not names a married couple should be calling each other if they want to have a vibrant happy sex life! (though referring to each other by those names in conversation with children would be fine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM

573 posts, read 971,014 times
I think it's childish and silly but woman where I live constantly call me my sister's dog's father (which I find completely strange). I think some people just have a need to use terms of endearment like that all the time.

I recall a scene on M.A.S.H. When harry Morgan had joined the cast when col Potter said 'I wish mother were here' (referring to his wife when they threw him an wedding anniversary party) and my mom saying she hated when people talk like that.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
2Mares, I think you may have missed the post a few above mine (and then repeated a couple posts above this one), where the silly assumption was made that if a couple does this, then they must have awful sex lives. Nonsense. I was responding to that.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM

377 posts, read 670,461 times
We are mommy and daddy. If I say his real name he knows he's in trouble...lol. Likewise, he seems to only say my real name when he wants a serious talk, or during sex. Otherwise, mommy.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM

377 posts, read 670,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe it's just me, but these are not names a married couple should be calling each other if they want to have a vibrant happy sex life! (though referring to each other by those names in conversation with children would be fine)

And there is definitely not anything wrong with our sex life! We are freaks.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEm View Post
And there is definitely not anything wrong with our sex life! We are freaks.
Yes, but you just said you don't use those names during sex, so you don't fall into the category of people I was talking about.

If grown people are calling their significant other "mommy" or "daddy" during sex that is just creepy and disturbing.

In addition, if my husband called me "mommy" only day in and day out I would NOT be feeling very sexy and thus our sex life would suffer.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i thought only old people in movies from the 30's did this. i sure didnt know it was still going on! my parents nor anyone in my family has ever done this. i wouldnt want my DH using it. i mean, i am not his mother--i have told him so many times---LOL

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I think some parents just get into the habit of referring to one another as Mom and Dad ("Dad will be home soon," like someone said), and it just starts spilling over. My grandparents call one another "Mother" and "Dad." My gram will say something on the phone like, "Oh, Dad just got back from the store," and she always explains afterward, "Oops, I mean your grandfather." I'm 37 ... I know whom you mean, Grandma! I know she didn't mean MY dad or hers!

My husband and I may occasionally call one another "Mommy" and "Daddy" in the presence of the children, as in, "Mommy, where did you put the sleds?" but that's rare. We typically use our names or silly nicknames. He has a new one for me that makes me giggle but it is super cheesy. Like "sugarbear" but sillier.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I've never liked the "mama, mommy, mother, daddy, papa, father" between spouses thing myself. For some reason it always kind of bugged me and I honestly can't tell you why. My wife and I call each other by our names or our pet names, which I am sure can be as equally annoying to others as mom or dad is to me. For me, this is whole question is best answered in the words of my younger daughter, "It's whatever."

Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I've never liked the "mama, mommy, mother, daddy, papa, father" between spouses thing myself. For some reason it always kind of bugged me and I honestly can't tell you why.
I know why it bugs me. It implies prudishness, sexlessness, and even incest to some extent... It's plain weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships