Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
There are couples who respect and love each other enough to permit them to pursue their goals even if it means there are temporary physical separations. Being married does not mean you do not remain an individual.
I agree and so I was unsuccessful in not taking the conversation in that direction.

1bright_future made an assumption that when people are apart (apparently it is because of Chelsea) it automatically means that the woman is not pleasing her man. I was trying to offer an alternative view that is along the lines of what the article is trying to suggest, that they are separated because they are out of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Is the honeymoon over already? Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezvinsky 'spending three months apart'

Read more: Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezvinsky 'spending three months apart' | Mail Online
I don't see what all the fuss is about. They first met in college, were close friends and then dated for five years before getting married. Their "honeymoon period" was five years ago. And they are both very serious about their careers, but what's wrong with him taking a break from work for three months? Meanwhile, she's going to school so she can't take take three months completely off. But having him away means that she can focus fully on her studies.

I've been with my boyfriend for about six years now. And while I still love him, I enjoy the times when he goes away to visit family and friends. And should we get married, I will still feel the same way as his wife. Having some away time in a long term relationship is healthy imo.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
i'd never marry a woman who insisted on keeping her last name .. that is a red flag of a future divorce or a real miserable one sided marriage
Names are just a means of identification to me, nothing more. It wouldn't make any difference if she kept her name or took mine.

Lol, I do know my parents will probably go nuts if I decided to marry a woman that kept her name, but I honestly don't care about my parent's thoughts/opinions on my romantic life anyway.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes I heard this on the news today.

Let them live their life out of the spotlight and figure it out.

Why do we have to make celebs out of ordinary citizens? Chelsea Clinton-Mezvinsky is an Ordinary Citizen!

I think people like to point fingers in this country - "this one does that, the other has this, blah whatever (so that means I'm not as F'ed up as they are!!) - LEAVE IT ALONE!

My gut says there's nothing wrong.

I'm sick of the media in the private lives of ANYONE with a "name".

Oh yeah, they're just ordinary citizens....isn't everyone's father an ex-president and mother Secretary of State? Isn't everyone's husband rich and the son of a senator who did jail time? Didn't we all have $5 million weddings with the who's who of the rich and famous crowd in attendance? Don't we all walk around never ever having to worry about our paychecks or lack thereof in life? Aren't we all in this economy going to take three months off to enjoy ourselves at a ski resort?

Why yes, they are just your ordinary every day average joe citizens just like us.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
i'd never marry a woman who insisted on keeping her last name .. that is a red flag of a future divorce or a real miserable one sided marriage
Most men have peen puzzy whipped into going along with it because it's the "trendy" feminist thing to do. It's all part of the feminization (and demasculization) of the American male, didn't you know that? Used to be a man could stand up and put his foot down and be the head of the household and be RESPECTED by his wife. Now days, they just cower and say.... "yes dear" in a pathetic little voice.

Shame on you trying to bring manhood back to this country. What are you some kind of instigator?????????

20yrsinBrnson

Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
If a guy won't let me keep my last name he can definitely go his separate way. I have many publications and degrees under my maiden name and most definitely I'm not gonna go through the hassle of trying to change my name, and then have my husband's name be linked back to my professional name. I actually tried and it did not work. Everyone got confused and my name got hacked to pieces, recombined, and FUBAR'ed in every unimaginable way at EVERY institution I've worked at since. I could not take it anymore.

Since then it has cost me $500, a lawyer, countless hours and hassle, and a court date to change my name back. My husband's family is overbearing in that traditional european male-dominated sense and it was just absurd that I can't continue to use my professional name. I am still angry that they wanted me to change my name when it is clear that keeping my maiden name was a superior option in every way, shape, and form.

The opposite of feminism is masculinism/machoism... equally stupid and blind.

About CC and MM... I think they are probably both coddled brats since birth (though CC is probably more accomplished) and I'm not crossing my fingers for them... there is a definite disparity in attractiveness between the two. I don't know what to think about their marriage but I have bad feelings overall. I don't think it is normal to take a separation so early in the marriage, especially if it was voluntary and had nothing to do with career advancement. Quite strange.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
I guess I don't care. I don't base my manhood in her chaning or keeping her last name. I am for tradition however it isn't the sum of the whole.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Wow, they certainly used an awful picture of Chelsea.

They have been married for less than a year and he is taking off 3 months to go snowboarding..... How old is this guy? He quits a big buck job in this economy to go snowboarding for 3 months.

I could understand it if it was for a good reason. Like finishing a degree or caring for a sick relative. Or if it was for work. But just for snowboarding..... I would have a problem with that.

Yes, I know money means little to these folks who are just swimming in the stuff. But I've been to Jackson Hole plenty of times. I would guess the cost to spend 3 months in Jackson would be around 50K. IF he tried to economize at least a little.

These people don't live in the same world as the rest of us.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM

570 posts, read 882,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I guess I don't care. I don't base my manhood in her chaning or keeping her last name. I am for tradition however it isn't the sum of the whole.

The biggest reason for her to switch her last name to yours is to show that she really trusts you and wants to spend the rest of her life with you.

I've seen it multiple times in real life where I knew feminist women who kept their last name. Either they are still separated now or finally got the divorce.

Also another big reason, is b.c other males and even women in society will understand that the woman is a feminist, and she will probably be hit on more by men that don't care about the marriage b.c they understand she is selfish anyways.

The same last name means you are a FAMILY. You can't have a family with two different last names. Check mate!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
The biggest reason for her to switch her last name to yours is to show that she really trusts you and wants to spend the rest of her life with you.

I've seen it multiple times in real life where I knew feminist women who kept their last name. Either they are still separated now or finally got the divorce.

Also another big reason, is b.c other males and even women in society will understand that the woman is a feminist, and she will probably be hit on more by men that don't care about the marriage b.c they understand she is selfish anyways.

The same last name means you are a FAMILY. You can't have a family with two different last names. Check mate!
Bull....

Really? Honestly your logic is pathetic.

Trust is something that is earned. No amount of name changing will change that fact. It doesn't prove anything.

couple get married and divorced way to easy. I can think of several "liberal" couples who get married and stay married through the long haul. I can think of more success than failures. I can also think of most marriages that fail and it is often due to one or the other cheating or becoming an abuser or some other weak reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships